Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 12/11/2005 7:48:53 AM EDT
looking on getting my friend a nice folder for christmas. something with a 4 inch blade at the max.  and around 80 bucks. now who makes a nice folder for that kind of money?

thanks guys
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:41:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I've not seen the new Blade Tech Tim Wegner in person yet but it should be like the old Spyderco and be a very good knife. I am recommending my friend get one of these. He was looking at some stupid cool-guy "tactical" Sog with a terrible blade geometry for a general use folder.

blade tech is only $60

link

I carry Benchmade AFCK's. I have 4 of them and like them a lot, but I think they are above the $80 mark.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Benchmade Griptilian exclusive to Cabelas. Axis lock, D2 steel, made in us, lifetime warranty. Choice of 3 or 3.5" blade, OD or Black FRN handles, and plain or combo edge blade.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the SOG Flash series.
For a bit under 80$ as well.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:35:44 AM EDT
[#4]
kernshaw ken onion.  got mine at walmart for $50.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:48:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Cold Steel.....

FWIW, Christmas specials brochure came out a few weeks ago, I got 3 Nightforce models for $75, suggest ya check out their specials for when it comes to folders nobody makes better kives or stronger locks than CS. (IMO)

Mike

ps - my favs a Recon 1
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Cold Steel.....

FWIW, Christmas specials brochure came out a few weeks ago, I got 3 Nightforce models for $75, suggest ya check out their specials for when it comes to folders nobody makes better kives or stronger locks than CS. (IMO)

Mike

ps - my favs a Recon 1

the recon is a really nice knife. where is the best place to get one?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#7]
You can usually find the Cold Steel knives on ebay for a bit more than wholesale cost, or you can order direct from Cold Steel. Also consider the Buck Strider 889 Military, it's a great knife for the price.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I went on a knife buying spree and a CS Recon made it home with me.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:54:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
the recon is a really nice knife. where is the best place to get one?

IIRC, the cheapest price I've seen lately is w/ the Cutlery Shoppe, ($54). www.cutleryshoppe.com/dsp_manuf.cfm?SID=1&Manufacturer=Cold%20Steel.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:01:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I suggest a BM Mini AFCK. Love mine, and its been with me for years.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:14:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I went on a knife buying spree and a CS Recon made it home with me.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/hotrod9mm/CS-Recon.jpg

Ha! Thats the HK cover where they loaded the magazine backwards. Nice looking blade.

Here are some good prices on the recon folders.

www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=267

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:20:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Ha! Thats the HK cover where they loaded the magazine backwards.

LMFAO!!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#13]

"No Compromise"
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:43:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#15]
The catalog is the only HK I own.

IIRC HK recalled the catalog. It would be nice to know how many ppl lost there job over that little mistake.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#16]
It's hard to beat the Spyderco Native being offered at Wal-Mart Super Stores with an awesome S30V blade (the best, longest edge holding stainless steel out now IMO) for an incredible $39.XX.  S30V is really great steel for a utility folder.  You won't find anything even close to that price, with the same quality blade, save for thievery.  
This is the Hottest Deal Going
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#17]
i think im going to go with the recon 1. i found this one site. they are goin for 51 bucks. cheapest i have seen. has anyone used these guys?

http://www.thebladeshop.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=98
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i think im going to go with the recon 1. i found this one site. they are goin for 51 bucks. cheapest i have seen. has anyone used these guys?

The blades are made out of 440A

It's your money, but 440A is not very good knife steel for a folder like that.  
Won't hold and edge for long.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I really like my Kershaw Ken Onion Blurr (model 1550).  The speed assist opening is just plain awesome. ETA: Per Monkeygrip's post, it's 440A, but I don't put my pocket folders through that much.  The Spyderco deal he posted is pretty phenomenal.  I just have to get near a Walmart to pick one up.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The blades are made out of 440A

I agree, 440A is'nt all that great for edgeholding. You should definitely check out the Spyderco Native at Walmart. Picked one up a few weeks ago and it is well worth $39.99. How the heck can you go wrong at that price for S30V steel?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:32:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Note: Cold Steel 440A is not like the cheap stuff sold most everywhere.

While my old original Recon folder is AUS 8A steel, the new sub-zero quenched 440A (which is used on several models they sell like the Pro-Lites we use for deer dressing) has been holding an edge very well.

IIRC the Pro-lite in my hunting bag has cleaned 3 deer and it is still razor sharp. My brother in laws needed a touch up a month or so ago after we dressed out 3 90# hogs one day and it came back to razor sharp in no time, (which I'm guessing is why they are using it as it is much easier to get the edge back w/ the 440A than say the AUS8A, which takes abit longer)

YMMV, but anything Lynn C. Thompson sells is a quality product and not to be confused with cheap knives.

Mike

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:47:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Ha! Thats the HK cover where they loaded the magazine backwards.

LMFAO!!!!

+1  That's the funniest thing I've ever seen published.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:56:41 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The cheapest place I have found for CS knives is an Ebay store Razorsharpknives. The also have a website www.sawyerscutlery.com

You can call and order or buy online at Ebay. Their service is top notch and they have only factory fresh, current production knives. For example, the have the Recon 1, Tanto, plain edge on ebay starting bid is $46.99, "Buy Now" option is $48.99. If you call them you can ask if they can sell at the starting bid price and they sometimes do.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Another vote for CS Recon & Ebay.   Carry it every day, excelent knife. I got this one from Ebay $45.50 shipped. (Buy it now was 41.50 and $4 shipping)  From this store:
http://stores.ebay.com/Great-Knives-Great-Prices
Excelent service.

Edit.  Just read the part of not holding an edge.  Im not highspeed, and I just carry this in the average civilian world for civilian things, but Ive used this thing almost every day to cut something for a few months or so and I can still shave the hair off my arm with it..never sharpened it...so...just FYI.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top