Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 12/1/2005 7:01:39 AM EDT
I want to get a new pocket knife. My wife said to give her some ideas of what I wanted for Christmas, so I told her that the CRKT M16 Titanium looked nice. Costs about $70 from Knifecenter.com.

Then she says, "No, tell me what you REALLY want. Don't compromise because you know I'm cheap. If you could have any pocket knife what would you want." (I love this woman )

So, I've been looking around and what I think looks really nice is the Benchmade Osborne 940. My brother got one and he says that he really likes it. So, I was curious what people here think about it. Good knife? How is it compared to the CRKT M16 Titanium?

If I went with the Osborne, which blade style do you think is better? The reverse tanto or the clip point?

Any others you'd recommend me looking at?

Here are the ones I've been considering:

Osborne 940S Reverse Tanto

Osborne 940S Clip Point

CRKT M-16 Titanium

Thanks!

*UPDATE* 12/27

So, my wife is so sneaky! She was talking to my brothers about the knife and told them what to get me. I was totally expecting her to get it for me, but when I went over to my parents house and opened my present from my brothers it was an Osborne Axis 940s! (the first one linked above)

I guess that gave her a little extra money to get me some other stuff, like a Chip McCormick 2-stage match trigger

Wow, this is a nice knife! I am very impressed with it. Definitely the best pocket knife I've ever owned. Thanks for all the advice guys.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#1]
i was looking at the 940 osborne too but decided on the CRKT m21. it has a lesser blade steel, (aus8 vs CM154 i believe) but the blade design is better suited for cutting on the m21. i also have no faith in the AXIS lock. it requires small springs to hold the bar that keeps the blade locked. the CRKT lines have an "open" design as well, that i much prefer because i carry my knives 24x7 and it makes cleaning easier. (just blow all the dust out of the sides, no bottom to collect stuff in).  the M21 also has the LAWKS system, that forces the liner lock to stay in the locked position, no shifting is possible.

the 940 is most likely a fine knife. but i just dont have faith in the AXIS lock for a EDC heavily used knife. i have never used an AXIS lock. YMMV. might want to take a look at the benchmade 635. it has a better blade steel then the 940, is a FRAMELOCK, what i consider to be the best locking system for a folder, and had a blade very well suited to cutting. to bad i think its ass ugly or i would have one!
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#2]
The 940 is a great blade, and if you do decide on that, get the clip point model. I personally prefer the Benchmade 710 to any of their other folder models. It is just a great design and cuts like crazy. It was the first axis lock and the best IMHO. You have your choice of 154cm or M2 tool steel, although the M2 model is a little more expensive.

www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=202

Also check out the Al Mar S.E.R.E. 2000, which I recommend to everyone looking for a good folder. Do a little research on it at www.bladeforums.com. Unbelieveable blade at a great price.

www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1429

Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:02:27 AM EDT
[#3]
So, legonas, you don't like the AXIS lock? When I did a search on bladeforums on the 940 series it seemed that everyone had nothing but praise for it. Have you heard of people having problems with it?

Thanks for all the input. I'll check out the other knives mentioned too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 6:16:56 AM EDT
[#4]
The Axis lock is a great locking system and very durable. The only problem I have heard of is with failed omega springs. Both of the Omega springs would have to fail simultaneously for lock failure to occur though.

Link Posted: 12/2/2005 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So, legonas, you don't like the AXIS lock? When I did a search on bladeforums on the 940 series it seemed that everyone had nothing but praise for it. Have you heard of people having problems with it?

Thanks for all the input. I'll check out the other knives mentioned too.

i found 3 reported failures under moderate use where one spring failed which caused the lock to fail. i beileve one of the reports was on bladeforums. i want a knife that will last a lifetime, and springs do not last a lifetime. as stated, i carry my knives every day and they are used hard.

also, as i stated i have NEVER used an AXIS lock and YMMV. i was just making a suggestion based on my own personal preferences.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 11:46:43 PM EDT
[#6]
You don't trust an AXIS lock, but you do trust the liner lock that CRKT uses?!?  I really think that their LAWKS system sin't so much to make it bulletproof, as it is to make the lock work at all.  A liner lock is just a bigger spring and will eventually fail.  Also the mating surfaces will wear causing the lock to weaken over time.
I'm not defending the AXIS lock because I have one and feel I have to defend my purchase, I bought 3 of them (and want more of course ) because I feel they are great locks.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You don't trust an AXIS lock, but you do trust the liner lock that CRKT uses?!?  I really think that their LAWKS system sin't so much to make it bulletproof, as it is to make the lock work at all.  A liner lock is just a bigger spring and will eventually fail.  Also the mating surfaces will wear causing the lock to weaken over time.
I'm not defending the AXIS lock because I have one and feel I have to defend my purchase, I bought 3 of them (and want more of course ) because I feel they are great locks.

Yup, 3 out of the 4 CRKT liner lock folders that I have handled have failed very light spinewacks. 2 were the m16 model and one was a falcon. With the LAWKS, they were perfectly stable.

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 9:26:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I want to get a new pocket knife. My wife said to give her some ideas of what I wanted for Christmas, so I told her that the CRKT M16 Titanium looked nice. Costs about $70 from Knifecenter.com.

Then she says, "No, tell me what you REALLY want. Don't compromise because you know I'm cheap. If you could have any pocket knife what would you want." (I love this woman )

So, I've been looking around and what I think looks really nice is the Benchmade Osborne 940. My brother got one and he says that he really likes it. So, I was curious what people here think about it. Good knife? How is it compared to the CRKT M16 Titanium?

If I went with the Osborne, which blade style do you think is better? The reverse tanto or the clip point?

Any others you'd recommend me looking at?

First of all, I believe the Axis lock to be a reliable and very strong system. The spring that pushes the pin, or lock is not under any stress. It's only purpose being to push the pin in and out of it's place. I am a little skeptical on these repots on broken springs as I think they broke for other reasons such as a bad spring or possible a bad design in a particular knife. I believe the Axis lock in general to be the strongest and best system for a folder.  Also the axis lock makes for smooth  and fast, one handed opening.

I've owned and carried Benchmade knives for years. I like the 940 series, they are excellent knives. They also offer some fancy and limited editions in this series which are beautiful. Even with a blade of about 3.5", they seem small though. Great for EDC, and fine work though. I like the Stryker series which has slender aluminum handles although it is a liner lock. I also like my autos from Benchmade but that may not work for you depending your local laws. Last but not least, I REALLY like the Griptilian series (axis lock) , especially from Cabellas which are D2 steel. These are light, strong, and super fast and easy opening and closing. Some complain the handles on these feel hollow and cheesy but they are strong. These also use steel liners inside the handles. If you like the Griptilian style and want aluminum handles, look at the Benchmade 520. Do a serach on Griptilian on blade forums.

I've had limited experience with the CRKT knifes, owned a coupe of the lower end M16's and I wasn't that impressed.

The Spyderco's are great knives and use top notch steel. They are worth considering also. Look at the Paramilitary.

Another popular, in demand and maybe hard to get (possibly because of interest with the military) is the Camilus Dominator. It is a frame lock, with titanium handles and S30 steel. It's on my "to get" list.

All the knives mentioned can be bout from either www.newgraham.com or www.sawyerscutlery.com Sawyers is on ebay under knifestore and another name as well. These are two of the best places I have forund to buy from. Best prices around and great service.

Good luck, and let us know what you get!
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:27:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate all the info. I ended up telling my wife that the 940S reverse tanto was what I wanted most...so I guess I'll have to wait for Christmas and see what happens.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:29:01 AM EDT
[#10]
BTT for update in first post.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top