Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2005 11:44:46 AM EDT
I love this thing. Your thoughts?

Duped over at THR. Sorry in advance to members of both forums
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 1:33:44 PM EDT
Damn!! That is one sweet ass blade!! I almost wanna go out and get one now.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 4:50:09 PM EDT
I have the Randall original and was thinking of getting one of these to carry and retire the old #1. What I did'nt like is CS has these made in Taiwan and the 2 I have looked at were IMO overpriced. If I could find one in the $75 range I would probably get it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 5:56:26 PM EDT
The older ones were made in Taiwan and considered to be poorer quality.

The new ones are made in Japan (you can barely make it out on the blade) and made of AUS 8.

Sheath is indistinguishable from a Randall.

I highly recommend this knife for hard use. Let that Randall have some much deserved rest.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 7:20:48 PM EDT
After much personal debate i ordered one 3 weeks ago and have had it for about two weeks, it was made a Japan and i am very impressed with the worksmanship. i paid $130 + S&H and Tax b/c im in the same state from New Graham
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 6:34:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/30/2005 6:35:32 PM EDT by AROKIE]

Originally Posted By Torakan:
I have the Randall original and was thinking of getting one of these to carry and retire the old #1. What I did'nt like is CS has these made in Taiwan and the 2 I have looked at were IMO overpriced. If I could find one in the $75 range I would probably get it.

good news for you, look up cold steel oda on ebay, its the same knife just there modern day version of it, runsa bout 60.00

edited:here is one for 48.00

here ya go
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 3:30:53 PM EDT
Do these knives have a full length tang?
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:20:38 PM EDT
Yes.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:22:42 PM EDT
That is a fine knife there, Thumper!

I don't know what it is about Cold Steel... they just make an awesome blade.

My buddy has one he ordered back when he was in the Army... 5" Tanto with a laminated blade.

I bought the Pendleton Hunter when it came out several years ago... fine hunting knife.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:57:59 PM EDT
I seriously doubt it's the equal of the Randall but it sure looks good (I'm sure it's a fine blade in it's own right too).
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:48:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sumo2000:
I seriously doubt it's the equal of the Randall but it sure looks good (I'm sure it's a fine blade in it's own right too).

I wouldn't commit the sacrilege of arguing that it's the equal of a Randall. Historical significance and pride of ownership obviously remove the possibility of comparison.

If we just compare the knives, though, we end up comparing a hand made tool steel knife of a particular style with an AUS8A manufactured knife in an identical style.

Which steel do you prefer in a working blade?
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:02:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By THR-Thumper:

Originally Posted By Sumo2000:

I wouldn't commit the sacrilege of arguing that it's the equal of a Randall. Historical significance and pride of ownership obviously remove the possibility of comparison.

If we just compare the knives, though, we end up comparing a hand made tool steel knife of a particular style with an AUS8A manufactured knife in an identical style.

Which steel do you prefer in a working blade?

It's my understanding that Randall uses O-1 for their blades which I would prefer over AUS8 in everything but rust resistance. There is more than just the steel though, the forging & tempering are equally important and Randalls record speaks for itself.

Not that I'm knocking the Cold Steel blade though, I'd love to have one as a matter of fact.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:48:22 AM EDT
I have two Randall model 14s that stay in the safe,I carry a Cold Steel Military Classic R1!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:30:01 PM EDT
Great pic, I think it's a friggin awesome !!!!

As far as the AUS 8, It's roughly the japanese equivelant of our 154 cm, and I think it's a decent steel which offers strength/toughness and good corrosion resistance.
Page Armory » Blades
Top Top