Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 10/18/2003 8:49:30 PM EDT
I need to find a good, everyday carry, universal folding knife.  Preferably about 3.5in blade; only problem is I don't know where to start.  Anyone have any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 4:37:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Benchmade 710, plain blade, M2 high speed steel.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 4:39:14 AM EDT
[#2]
It depends on what you like and how much you want to spend. Go to a fun show and check out a bunch to see what fits you.CRKT makes very good knives that doesn't cost alot in the $25-50 dollar range.Also if you are going to carry you need to check your local laws and make sure what you pick is legal to carry in your state.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 6:16:52 AM EDT
[#3]
The best folder for you will, like the best handgun, rifle, holster, significant other, vary from person to person.

The trend today is towards mass produced single bladed knives with some form of single handed opening/closing mechanism. These are nice and have the advantage of letting you operate them with just one hand.

The other major choice is the traditional slipjoint multibladed knife. For general use, these usually work better since there is a selection of blades for different purposes. The down side is that it usually takes two hands to open or close them.

Start with what you expect your most common uses will be. A 2.5-3.5 inch blade is great for opening boxes while a smaller blade is better for precision work. A swept blade, one where the cutting edge curves, will give you more cutting surface for a given length. A straight edge makes it easier to cut with the tip while giving precision in shaving type actions.

To start off, forget about what steel is used and ignore any claims about which material is better. Almost all work well. Blades from high carbon steels will need to be kept oiled but will be easier to sharpen. The stainless blades will take more neglect but be harder to sharpen.

As with many things, fondle as many different knives as you can and see how they feel in your hand.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:13:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I love my Microtech auto SOCOM. I've been carrying it for two years with no problems.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I like Spyderco's, they are relatively inexpensive so I can use the hell of them and not fell bad.  I have been known to misplace a kinfe or two over the years, the thought of losing a knife over $100 does not excite me.  I have several of them and they are very functional and Spyderco provides excellent customer service in the event you need support.  I am partial to these because as a I prefer spine locks and if I break a blade or severely damage the knife, I toss it no big deal.  Check out their site to browse their forums if you have any questions.  

I have also owned some Benchmade's and really liked the Axis style lock, but for the price of one Benchmade, I get two Spyderco's.  Just personal preference.

Link Posted: 10/26/2003 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I know i'm going to catch some sh_t for this but I carry a S&W special ops with the thin metal frame.  I've had it for 3 years and it has never let me down.  I'm a rancher and put it to good use.  Every thing from castrating calves to cutting rope and cleaning game.  I did lose one of the 2 screws that help hold the pocket clip on, so I loc-tited the other and no problems.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#7]
i carry 1 or 2 of the following on a daily basis. they all do fine for tactical or general use.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:37:19 AM EDT
[#8]
stinger, that is indeed a very nice selection of carry knives.

7 - not much I can add to the other posts.  We are living in a time when you can get a very good production knife for less than $50, and a superb knife in the $50 - $125 range.  The price ranges are mainly due to material differences in blades and handles.  Ergonmic and locking designs and to a smaller degree, aesthetics, also affect price.

Link Posted: 10/27/2003 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the help everyone.  Quite a difference of opinion in some places but it gives me a broader base and many differences to look at.  I have been looking at Spyderco more than anyone though.  I know several police officers that carry the Endura.  Anyway, thanks again
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I advise everyone to carry at least two knives.  One as a task knife and one fore SD.  On my way out the door the other day I was wearing -
Strider Tac GB #58
Emerson Commander
Benchmade AFCK
Spyderco SPOT
Spyderco Gunting
CRKT Lightfoot M1

The CRKT M1 was the task knife.  The other all for SD and for attracting other knife nuts.  My SD knives do not cut anything that does not bleed.  The are all carried in a certain place for a reason with plans for deployment.  You SD blade is the one you palm when the creepy hairs on the back of the neck stand up.  I am and instructor and have approx two weeks of specialized edged weapon training in addition to MA.  Find someone who knows how to use a knife and train.

Link Posted: 10/29/2003 11:17:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I love my Emerson Commander:

Link Posted: 10/31/2003 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Kershaw: Ken Onion Black Out, it is without a doubt one of the best folders in the world. As evidence I believe it won knife of the year some time back.

Glockdog

Airborne!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Are the SOG knives any good? I just got a FlashII which is an assisted open and seems well built.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I prefer the Microtech Vector model.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Cold Steel knives are very affordable and I've had really good luck with them.  The new Nightforce is really a solid knife, mine was razor sharp out of the box.  Also have a Gunsite Folder I really like.  They have nice fixed blades too.

Jason
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 6:49:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I know i'm going to catch some sh_t for this but I carry a S&W special ops with the thin metal frame.  I've had it for 3 years and it has never let me down.  I'm a rancher and put it to good use.  Every thing from castrating calves to cutting rope and cleaning game.  I did lose one of the 2 screws that help hold the pocket clip on, so I loc-tited the other and no problems.

I have carried the S&W FL3500, the thin framw-lack 4" tanto, and have found it to be a great knife. I love having a thick 4" blade in such a thin frame. Some of the Smith knives are shit, the Cuttin' Horse come to mind, but the FL series are excellant.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top