Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 6/26/2017 6:19:05 PM EDT
New M107a1 Mainspring and buffer failed in less than 240 rounds.

Need help figuring out how to remove the mainspring and buffer to send back in the morning.

Sucks I wasted ammo chasing the problem thinking it was ammo related and I have to pay the return shipping on the parts that failed.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#1]
figured out how to remove the mainspring and buffer. Hopefully new ones solve the problem. Inside the lower are some horrific chips and gouges from the spring and buffer tearing the lower apart hope that doesn't get worse or affect the gun later.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#3]
They told me I had to ship back the mainspring and buffer on my dime and would send a replacement or repaired parts back once they received the broken parts. Kinda makes me mad since there is now damage inside a brand new gun, the magazine is chewed up and wasted 240 rounds of ammo chasing a problem thinking it was ammo related and working up my reloads. Factory loads worked perfect since they are really hot. All my reloads failed until i got higher powder charges so i then knew something was off since all these loads worked 100% in my M82a1

I asked them if they will reimburse me the shipping and maybe replace the ammo since the gun is brand new. Wait and see what happens.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#4]
A couple of years back I bought an M82 that wouldn't cycle anything, case would just stick in the chamber. Long story short, the chamber was so rough, it wouldn't release fired brass. I called "customer service" assuming that they'd be so embarrassed about allowing an $8k gun to leave their doors not functioning that they'd happily make sure I was taken care of. They wanted me to send the rifle back on my dime ($100 + insured). They assured me that I'd have my rifle back within 10 days and promised that they'd more than cover the shipping costs with freebies. Sooo.....

Two months later after a pile of phone calls, usually informing me that my rifle had to be ignored to "take care of our military boys" (you'd be an asshole to argue with that), I got the rifle back with a polished chamber. They did include a hat and a bottle of lube (lol) to cover the shipping. I had to call again to request that they take their hat and lube back and just reimburse me for shipping to which they just sent me a magazine to shut me up. Really disappointing experience.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:38:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Can you retract the carrier far enough to lift off the upper? Would be interesting to see what happened to the inside of the lower to caused damage.

Sorry you had problems.  That shit wouldn't fly when I was head of assembly there. Someone was asleep at the wheel.

Just can't imagine what could have damaged the buffer and spring.
If you get the upper off, slide the carrier forward slowly till the buffer reaches the stop. Use a large flat tip screw driver to turn the buffer till the cut out in the buffer mates up with the stop and slide the buffer forward.

Take a pic. Would like to see it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Didn't get a chance to take pictures of the inside. Barrett contacted me back this morning and decided they wanted the entire gun back and they even paid the shipping.
Only had a short time frame when I got home from work to pack it up and drive to the nearest fedex depot before they closed.

Will update once I know anything.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:01:52 PM EDT
[#7]
They read this forum. No doubt they saw this and decided to do something about it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Now if 'little Ronnie' will just give you the ammo you wasted in addition to rebuilding the gun RIGHT, it will be nice.

Somebody in QC needs their ass kicked!
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Sent a email today asking any info on it.

Got this email back.
"We have only one tech this week and we were closed Monday and Tuesday of this week.  Don said he would try and get to you as soon as he could."

Hopefully I hear something back next week.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:46:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Don is a great guy and will take of you. He was a Marine Corps Armorer and will look it over with a fine tooth comb.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Glad to hear, makes me feel a little more easy about the situation.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Gun will arrive back to me Friday.

Shooting planned Sat or Sun if weather is good and will report range results and what they had to fix.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Picked the gun up today.
No info on what was fixed/repaired replaced/added or broken.

But here is the huge difference I noticed right away. I now have a piece/part on the gun that it didn't have before. Its a plastic guide on the end of the buffer/spring that has a nub/nipple and half moon that the bolt carrier rides on. here is a picture of it. Shot 20 rounds and worked 100% this time. Got nothing in exchange for my troubles but at least the gun is working again.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top