Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2017 9:53:51 PM EDT
Hello all, What's the going rate for a used AR-50? Plus 67 rounds of ammunition.

Round count under 200, in very good shape, any thoughts? It's the older version AR-50, not the A1.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:55:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Look on gun broker, used AR-50's are the best bargain going. Most have a low round count and come with some accessories. It almost begs to question, why buy a new one?
View Quote
I wouldn't only because I don't trust that someone hasn't been loading and shooting some overpressured stuff for their rifle.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I got my AR-50 at Cabela's used in the library.  It was barely used (I could tell by the finish still on the bolt) and came with a Harris bipod, AR-50 scope mount, that I quickly sold, and a Burris Black Diamond 12x36x50.  The price tag was $2,395.  To this day, one of the best gun deals I ever got.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just the rifle and nothing else?

If you want to move it don't ask more than $2,500. Depending on what accessories you have for it will change the price.

If you have a quality scope on it like Leopold, Nightforce... you might want to take it off and keep it or sell separately. Even with a quality scope on it, most people don't want to pay the extra.

At $2,500-$2,800 with a super sniper scope and bipod is a good deal. You might want to add the ammo into the price, not that many rounds and it will help sell it.

Look on gun broker, used AR-50's are the best bargain going. Most have a low round count and come with some accessories. It almost begs to question, why buy a new one?
View Quote
50 Shooter, thank's for the reply, I just picked one up for $2k with bipod and 67rds of ball ammo and 53 pcs. of fired casings.  I thought it was a pretty good deal, it's in good shape.

Previous owner bought it from a local gun shop about a month or so ago with 100 rds fired, but who knows.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:56:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I have over 5,000 rounds out of my AR50.
It's been rebarreled two times.
I changed the factory barrel at 2,500 rounds, but when we inspected it with a bore scope, it still had some life left in it.
The bolt face has one scar from a blown out primer in a soft CBC brass case, but that hasn't effected it one bit.
You got a good deal, so spend some of that money on ammo and go out and blast something with it !!!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:31:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Appreciate all the replies!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When buying anything used you need to remember to ask alot of questions. You also need to inspect whatever you buy, for a firearm take it to a gunsmith.

Ask the owner if they reload, if not then they probably didn't fire any ammo hotter than surplus. If so, ask what components they used, charge weight... If you think they were loading hot ammo, walk away from the deal.

It also helps to understand what charge weight is hot, surplus ammo is always going to be considered hot. It's made to run M2's reliably all the time, all those moving parts are heavy. Most surplus rounds usually have a charge of 235-240grs of powder. Most people run about 215-225grs of powder in their guns for best results.

Bolt guns and semi's still have to be built strong enough to run surplus rounds. I would think that most manufacturers would think that the people buying their guns will only be shooting surplus ammo. So they build them strong enough to run surplus rounds all the time.

Most people that reload run ammo that has a charge weight below surplus. I've run 215grs for everything from surplus to match and never had a problem. Some people have posted that with 215grs of surplus powder they've got pressure issues. So yeah, you need to start low and work your way up checking as you go.

Back to the issue, check out areas that take the most abuse. The bolt, face of it, as mentioned one member has a flame cut on his from a blown primer. Look down the barrel and check it carefully along with the muzzle brake. Unburnt grains of powder will actually erode the brake.

Bring a snap cap so that you can check the triggers feel, does it break clean or feel gritty? How's the finish, worn with scratches? Redone? Why?

If you do your homework right, you'll be happy and enjoy whatever you buy. Done wrong you'll be upset and have to spend time and money making it right. Just remember to ask questions and don't be afraid to walk away. That or ask them to lower the price to cover the cost of repairs.
View Quote
50 Shooter, the only issue is on the bolt face where the previous owner fired a round and blew out a primer(gas leaked past primer) if I had any doubts, I would have walked. I still bought the rifle. . I don't think they even knew it happened. For $2K,  I think I did alright.

I'm no gunsmith, but I'm  99.8% sure it's not an issue. The gun was really dirty when I went to look at it, but it cleaned up well, original finish.  The bore look's really good, rifling is sharp, the brake has lite erosion which to me looks normal and tells me not many rds. fired.

Trigger is a bit heavy, but breaks really clean and smooth, not gritty at all.

After looking through all the fired casings, I've found the culprit with the leaked primer. It looks as though they bought 20 rds. of American Eagle and 100 rd. bulk pack of reloaded factory. They can't remember where they ordered it from . But the tag says

reloaded by a 3rdparty contractor, it has a mix of LC, WCC and mostly PSD HS brass. I won't shoot any ammo till I  get my 50BMG press, I want to check out a few rds.

I really appreciate the  help/advice from everyone who replied!!

Happy shooting! Stay Safe!/
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top