Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 4/14/2017 10:12:27 PM EDT
I am seriously thinking of ordering a SHTF 50 upper.  I really want a 50BMG but can not afford a Barrett and won't likely shoot more than 30 rounds a year.  This upper would let me have a 50 without a huge investment.  Anyone have one?  How's the accuracy? And what's your thoughts on this upper?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:52:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one. It's nice enough. I got the mag fed version- if I did it again, I'd get the single shot version.

Be sure you have somewhere to safely shoot it.

Don't buy tracers or API/T unless you like starting fires
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:30:12 AM EDT
[#2]
How have you found the accuracy to be?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:42:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How have you found the accuracy to be?
View Quote
Acceptable. I've only shot a lot of plinking ammo really - AP reloads and the like.

It's sat, unused, for a decade at this point - nowhere to shoot it.

If you were closer I'd loan it to you.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you recommend the 22 inch or 29 inch barrel ?

Also, which scope rail would you go with?

Thanks,

T2
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I got the 18" with standard high (the stepped rail). I would probably get the 22 with standard low if I rebought it. The 18" is unwieldy. Take a look at velocity loss from 29 to 22 to decide if it's worth it for you.

You'll need a stout bipod. You'll want a scope with long eye relief - I had a guy (experienced shooter of heavy magnum bolt actions) go on autopilot- nose to charging handle - knock himself out and give himself a concussion.

I have a limbsaver recoil pad. The recoil is about equal to a 3" magnum 12g slug, so, tolerable.

I think you'll be happy with your purchase.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm leaning towards the 22 inch barrel with the Exacto-rail, I'm thinking it would be more practical than the 29 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm leaning towards the 22 inch barrel with the Exacto-rail, I'm thinking it would be more practical than the 29 inch barrel.
View Quote
Sounds like an excellent choice. Get some of those 750 AMAX (or whatever they're called now) Hornady loads and have a good time.

I'm interested in what optic you've chosen, if you might say?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm thinking one of the SWFA Super Sniper scopes. Not sure which one exactly yet.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do you recommend the 22 inch or 29 inch barrel ?

Also, which scope rail would you go with?

Thanks,

T2
View Quote
The 29 inch barrel is technically already a carbine on a .50 BMG.  I wouldn't go any shorter than that unless you don't mind muzzle velocities in the 2,400 range.  The SS is a good, clear scope for the $$$.  I have one but it's mounted on a PSL 43-C. I have the 20x and love it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks!!  I'm completely new to 50 BMG.  I've shot a couple of long range AR matches but have no experience with 50's so I have a lot to learn.

T2
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got #004 when they were first known as the "ultramag50".  3rnd side magazine and the muzzle brake was a bit less effective than the current model.
I've since upgraded the muzzle brake myself, and Walter updated my bolt assembly last year to the latest.
It's the 22" version, and has always been a good shooter out to 400yds for me. For longer shots, I use my 29" Serbu BFG-50.  
I've also got a 29" Ferret50 coming in next month, and one of the Serbu RN-50 type I'm still working up loads for too.

Here's a report I did on the Safety Harbor upper when I first received the conversion:

UltraMag50 Report

Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#13]
you got me curious, so I looked. I have UltraMag 50 upper #0226. I did some WECSOG work on it.

SHF UM50 right forend by Ry Jones, on Flickr

to make the bipod work. VLTOR stood behind the product when I shot the legs off - I left them extended and folded forward when I fired, once, and the muzzle blast broke the legs off.

I echo your feedback about the magazine catch.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I have one decently accurate have about 100rds through it in 3 yrs or so. Mine is the 22" model with the stepped rail mag fed. Recoil is not bad and like other have said I prefer to shoot it standing up.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Target2 , check you IM.
Might have exactly what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I have SHF 008 and have a couple mods to make it pleasant to shoot even prone for the Wife and Daughter.  First is fill an empty 30 round AR mag with lead.  Second is put one of the lead match weights in the cleaning compartment.  With that it feels like a 12 gauge shooting high brass shells.

Now as to accuracy, it is MORE accurate than the Barrett out to 800 yards.  As to how I know this, I chose to own the SHF even after the fact I helped design the Barrett.

Secret to accuracy with any long range rifle is the glass you put on it and how solidly it is mounted.  Next is judging wind and mirage.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#17]
@target2 did you get your upper?
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Never got one.  Still want one but just to busy with other projects.

T2
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's mine, it was awesome. Mag fed version.  Sold it last fall to buy a skid loader, I came up on this thread cause I am considering another.

Fyi, get a good stock, I thought the ace stock was generously padded and strong.

Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I am looking at getting one of these as well. Probably looking at sometime after the first of the year.

I am looking at the 29", mag fed, with a low rail.

Hows the trigger that comes with the kit?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am looking at getting one of these as well. Probably looking at sometime after the first of the year.

I am looking at the 29", mag fed, with a low rail.

Hows the trigger that comes with the kit?
View Quote
Mine had a cmmg lpk.

Also, I had the hardened firing pin.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:13:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I had a 22 inch mag fed version. Miss that beast. 22 lbs which help keep recoil down. Zel sells a PRS with a very thick pad that I bought. Worked like a champ. Had to sell it due the recoil messed with my back surgery. Wish I could own another one. Let friends shoot it as I reloaded for it. Biggest shit eating grin after they shot it. Biggest problem is finding a place to shoot it. NO ranges in my area allowed 50BMG. Bought a custom lower from stubborn mule. Looked friggin awesome. SWFA 20x scope on it. Never failed.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:18:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Mine had a cmmg lpk.

Also, I had the hardened firing pin.
View Quote
Interesting. They make it look like a custom trigger, hammer, and hammer spring come with it. Is it really just a standard lpk?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Interesting. They make it look like a custom trigger, hammer, and hammer spring come with it. Is it really just a standard lpk?
View Quote
Sorry what I should have said is thats what I had under the upper, for the trigger and safety, springs and what not, but...

This upper uses a special hammer, and no disconnector. The regular ar15 stuff won even fit in there if I remember right. Oh and the hardened firing pin is a must too. The original looked completely chewed up and I still have it somewhere.  The hard one is/was perfect.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Sorry what I should have said is thats what I had under the upper, for the trigger and safety, springs and what not, but...

This upper uses a special hammer, and no disconnector. The regular ar15 stuff won even fit in there if I remember right. Oh and the hardened firing pin is a must too. The original looked completely chewed up and I still have it somewhere.  The hard one is/was perfect.
View Quote
Was the firing pin a regular ar-15 firing pin or one made by saftey harbor?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Was the firing pin a regular ar-15 firing pin or one made by saftey harbor?
View Quote
Safety harbor.  It's like 5 inches long. Nothing in the upper is ar15, except for the mag release...which is goofy, but only apples to the mag fed version.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Safety harbor.  It's like 5 inches long. Nothing in the upper is ar15, except for the mag release...which is goofy, but only apples to the mag fed version.
View Quote
Ok, that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure if you meant that the firing pin was something that you purchased separately. I assume if I purchased a new upper it would have the hardened firing pin.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Ok, that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure if you meant that the firing pin was something that you purchased separately. I assume if I purchased a new upper it would have the hardened firing pin.
View Quote
Mine did not
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Mine did not
View Quote
How long ago did you purchase yours? How did you obtain the hardened firing pin? How much did it cost?
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 8:35:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

How long ago did you purchase yours? How did you obtain the hardened firing pin? How much did it cost?
View Quote
I bought it from the ee 2 ish years ago?
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've got #004 when they were first known as the "ultramag50".  3rnd side magazine and the muzzle brake was a bit less effective than the current model.
I've since upgraded the muzzle brake myself, and Walter updated my bolt assembly last year to the latest.
It's the 22" version, and has always been a good shooter out to 400yds for me. For longer shots, I use my 29" Serbu BFG-50.  
I've also got a 29" Ferret50 coming in next month, and one of the Serbu RN-50 type I'm still working up loads for too.

Here's a report I did on the Safety Harbor upper when I first received the conversion:

UltraMag50 Report

http://www.daplane.com/50bmg/umag02.jpg
View Quote
Ahhhhhh, so YOU are the one that got the Serial Number I wanted.  Thusly I got Number 8.  I would offer to trade, but mine has a custom engraving on the end you can't get anymore.  LOL
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Just sold mine as I recently bought a Barrett M82A1 there is no comparison the Barrett is Tits!
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 4:53:46 AM EDT
[#33]
I've got one of these .50's, and it has an issue: It's a bolt action model, no mag. When chambering a round, it loads just fine,
but after firing, the shell casing gets stuck, and you have to take a block of wood and persuade the bolt back in order to extract the spent casing.
Any thoughts?
Chamber too tight maybe?
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a 22" SHTF 50 upper.  I too have had issues with brass extracting.  This always happens with Federal Lake City Brass.  Some lot #'s extract ok and other lots, the cases stick every other round. I chalk this up to LC being built to cycle in M2's.  Because of this I've switched exclusively to PMC 50 BMG ammo.  It's not much more than Federal LC and extracts with ease, everytime.  The Brass is great for reloading too. On the bad LC lots, the cases stick even with light re-loads.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#35]
I bought one about ten years ago.  I take it out one a year and shoot a whopping ten rounds.  I never put sights on it, which is why i have the rings I used.
I need to put lower rings on it.

I also have the exact same extraction problems with some boxes of the Amercian Eagle ammo.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RpdwK9rWD59Q2eJG2
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Just a thought for the ones that have brass that is sticky to extract.

Go out and buy a universal 50 caliber muzzleloader cleaning/ram rod.they are about $20. And then go to Dollar store and get a cheep ripper mallet.

Use the rod in the barrel and mallet to tap it out.
The plastic rod won't damage the barrel. And no worry about bending or breaking the bolt.

I have same issue with my zel custom. I was tapping the bolt back and snapped it off. So now I keep the cleaning rod with me and I also found a long bolt from hardware store in case it breaks again.
The cleaning rod can also be used to cleaning In the field  if needed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#37]
PMC Brass extracts with ease, 100%.  I hate having to put a rod down the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
PMC Brass extracts with ease, 100%.  I hate having to put a rod down the barrel.
View Quote
the plastic or nylon cleaning rod (what ever it is made of) wont harm your barrel any,  I tried the wooden  dow rod but  i am not a big fan of the wood because I am scared it could snap off in the barrel, then not only would I have a hard to extract case but a section of dow rod as well.

if you dont like putting a rod down the barrel, how do you clean the inside of the barrel?
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#39]
I like to use the bolt to extract rounds from the chamber. Cleaning rods are for cleaning.  If I had to tap each empty out with a cleaning rod; I would for sure sell the upper.  Mine has a 5 round magazine.  Using the PMC brass, I can run it like any other bolt gun.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Depending on the round some full military loads are little hotter then others. And some Chambers are cut a little tighter. My zel custom chamber is little tighter them a military chamber is but not as tight as a match chamber.

Some of the rounds I have give harder extraction then other or my reloads.

The muzzleloader ram rod/cleaning rod is great for the few sticky cases.  If you tap on the handle to much or hard you will eventually bend or snap it off. With the ram rod you don't have to worry about it.

Everyone has their own way of doing things mine is only one way that works for me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 11:22:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've got one of these .50's, and it has an issue: It's a bolt action model, no mag. When chambering a round, it loads just fine,
but after firing, the shell casing gets stuck, and you have to take a block of wood and persuade the bolt back in order to extract the spent casing.
Any thoughts?
Chamber too tight maybe?
View Quote
You should never have a stuck case unless the head separates from headspace issues.

A proper chambering job will result in a very smooth accurate surface finish on inside - some gunsmiths will polish the chamber with 320 grit sandpaper. I've never used sandpaper, I prefer to use ScotchBrite for a final clean-up of chambering.

IF you are having extraction issues, you should first verify the extractor on the bolt face is working properly and was not damaged with prior extraction attempts.

Then carefully clean your chamber, barrel too while you're at it, removing all oil and crud when done. I suspect you will find circular grooves in chamber. Sometimes the grooves are hard to see as they may be rounded and difficult to see. Upon firing brass expands into these grooves - IF the expansion is greater than the amount brass bounces back, you may have a stuck case.  A slight tap with a cleaning rod will remove it BUT if it involves almost any combination of cases, the barrel should be set back and re-chambered by a qualified gunsmith.

Let us know your findings please.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#42]
You are not entirely correct.
There are several types of Chambers you have the tight match chamber you then have a loose military chamber and then you have one in between. The problem happens when you use military rounds in a tighter chamber. Military rounds tend to be on the warm side  more so when you talk about rounds from other countries or have been sitting stored someplace for extended times.
The only rounds I have had issue extracting ate from United ammo. The chamber and extract fine until fired then they are little tight to get out. As I said I have the in between chamber so it is little tighter then what is used for military guns.
The gunsmith is not smoothing your chamber he is opening it up a few thousands of inch to give extra space  for the hotter rounds. You do not use sand paper to smooth out Chambers. You use a very mild abrasive paste to polish it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Tried to keep it simple in my above posting.

However - a Mil-Spec chamber usually has a chamber neck Inside Diameter of 0.562-0.564", the in-between chamber has a neck ID of 0.557-0.558", most Match chambers have a Neck ID of 0.554".

If a shooter of a 50BMG is shooting Mil-Spec ammo in the in-between or Match chamber, they first must use a micrometer to verify each loaded neck diameter is not an interference fit in the chamber. You MUST HAVE 0.002" clearance between loaded neck diameter and neck chamber diameter = otherwise you will have dangerous pressure level that could damage your rifle or YOU.

Please responsibly use correct ammo for your specific rifle.  Just because you can jam it in does not make it acceptable. If you have ever witnessed a KABOOM in a 50, you will have a new healthy respect for its power .
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top