Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2017 10:46:02 PM EDT
I've got a BA50 with the old long type fixed stock with adjustable buttpad and cheek piece - but I'd like to put a PRS or other stock on it.

What stock are you guys running on yours?

I wonder if a UBR would work - as I have one that I got for a project, but never ended up using it.

Edit -

I see the other thread now where the guy has a PRS stock.  

Here's a photo of mine -

Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:29:11 AM EDT
[#1]
They come with the PRS stock now, I plan on trying something lighter and shorter because even fully collapsed it's still too high a LOP for me to shoulder the beast without some gymnastics and I don't want to always shoot the rifle prone or from a bench. I do have a PRS stock on my 18" .308" AR, but that's nowhere near as heavy or unwieldy as the BA50.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#2]
That's what I was thinking.  

I wonder if the bolt and such will have enough room for travel on a UBR?

I haven't started tearing it apart yet - but I might frig with it this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Based on the time-honored scientific process of fiddle-fucking around with the BA50 on the dining room table I think just about any stock could be used. The bolt doesn't protrude very far into the buffer tube  (if at all, but I haven't verified that by taking the stock / tube off and checking) so I can't really see stock replacement being a problem. I don't think a rifle buffer tube is necessary since the bolt assembly just isn't that long, they probably just put it on to mount the PRS stock (in the case of the newer versions). Is your buffer tube / stock on that version a rifle-length system?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#4]
It is.  

The next thing is if the UBR will hold up to the recoil.  I think it will - but I'd hate to have those teeth fail and that thing slide in when I touch one off.  

Link Posted: 3/30/2017 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Is yours a ~22" barrel version? The OP photo is sorta dark on my screen but it looks much shorter.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is yours a ~22" barrel version? The OP photo is sorta dark on my screen but it looks much shorter.
View Quote
It is.  It's the Carbine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:59:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Fixed is fine by me! A PRS that starts around 3" shorter would be perfect with adjustability. The butt pad on the new BA50s is over an inch thick and that just adds to an already large stock. Maybe it's a bit absurd to want to shoulder a 30" barrel rifle that weighs this much, but it's pretty absurd to buy it in the first place so that's fine!
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let me tell you about folding/collapsible stocks on .50's, getting punched in the face with a 35 pound rifle sucks!

Be sure that it has a positive locking system that really works! I got away without a scratch, another guy wasn't so lucky. Broke his glasses and laid open the bridge of his nose. Luckily he didn't need any stitches.
View Quote
That's exactly what I was worried about.  
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top