Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2017 3:07:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you and Thank You Mr Ben (we have never met, but we know each other by our actions)

1. Cover case inspection prior to anything
2. Cover depriming using a press and die, or using one of my punches
3. Cover tumbling in SS Pins to clean inside and out
4. Cover a drying procedure (I use high volume fan)
5. Cover a thorough case inspection process looking for damage
6. Cover sorting by Headstamp and applying a Lot Number for record keeping
7. Cover Annealing of case neck and shoulder to prevent cracks and promote even neck tension
8. Cover whether Quenching is required (I do it now to prevent picking up a hot casing)
9. Cover a LIGHT chamfer on primer pocket to only remove crimp burrs
10. Cover swaging of primer pocket to recondition, or using one of my swage tools
11. Cover the use of a K&M Flash Hole Reamer and deburr tool
12. Cover the use of a K&M Primer Pocket Reamer (and use of a screw gun to drive it)
13. Cover the use of a proper Case Lube, such as Imperial Sizing Wax, or Dillon Spray Lanolin (I make my own)
14. Cover proper press setup (I recommend a very solid bench and a retaining strap on RCBS or Hornady presses to prevent breakage
15. Cover proper Sizing Die setup and use of a calibrated gage (recommend the Chase/Hazlett/List guage)
16. Cover the proper setting of expander location to minimize neck runout
17. Cover Neck Turning using K&M tools for ultimate accuracy, especially if using a 0.554" Match Chamber
18. Cover deburring after Neck Turning using ScotchBrite
19. Cover a second re-sizing to move material to proper location for loading of primer, powder, & projectile
20. Cover a re-wash to remove lube and stray shavings
21. Cover a drying and case inspection procedure for Final before Loading
22. Cover Weighing of cases to ensure minimal weight change from one round to next
23. Cover proper seating of Primers in Primer Pocket ensuring seating to bottom of pocket
24. Cover "Arming" of primers = mainly used on CCI#35 Arsenal Primers
24. Cover proper selection of Powder Brand and Type for your Projectiles
25. Cover proper selection of Projectiles, Brand, Type, Construction, for your application
26. Cover proper weighing of powder charges (I use RCBS ChargeMaster weighing to +/- 0.2 grains)
27. Cover a procedure to ensure ALL cases are properly charged and inspected (Squibs are no fun during Competition)
28. Cover proper seating to depth to prevent projectile from contacting rifling
29. Cover verification of proper Cartridge Over All Length (C.O.A.L.)
30. Cover verification check of projectile run-out back to case dimensions
31. Cover removal of firing pin BEFORE checking live rounds for fit in your rifle
32. Cover proper storage of loaded rounds such that they are shot in proper weight order
33. Cover going to a Range and having FUN in a SAFE manner.

My "Loading Process" has 46 steps, after initial firing many steps can be eliminated from process and still have Quality Match ammo capability. I have been reloading and shooting a 50BMG for 11 years and competing in FCSA Match Competitions for 9 years. I teach reloading of almost any cartridge to anyone willing to learn and come to my facility in Northern Wisconsin (I have had students from Tucson,AZ). I am always willing to help - although I type with 1-finger, so slow to respond at times. ([email protected])

Thank you for reading.

FORGOT to add Trimming process after initial sizing operation, and probably a few others. Edited for spelling.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:00:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Eagerly awaiting the effort.  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#3]
IN for this.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd like to see info about what bullets, powder, primers are available for the 50BMG.

Seeing a tutorial for the Lee 50BMG press would be nice, since that's what I bought.  I just couldn't justify spending $500 on the RCBS press and to need to purchase $200 dies on top of that press cost.

Thanks in advance as I feel this would be a great resource.  I reload, but I have not reloaded for 50 BMG yet.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Eagerly awaiting the effort.  Thanks
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd like to see info about what bullets, powder, primers are available for the 50BMG.

Seeing a tutorial for the Lee 50BMG press would be nice, since that's what I bought.  I just couldn't justify spending $500 on the RCBS press and to need to purchase $200 dies on top of that press cost.

Thanks in advance as I feel this would be a great resource.  I reload, but I have not reloaded for 50 BMG yet.
View Quote

We are having two 50Bmg matches at Williamsport PA 1,000 yard club this year (June 17th-19th + Sept 17th-20th).
Buy some loaded Ammo to shoot at the match, Bring your press + loading components.
I'll show you how to load them on your press right there and we'll shoot them on the range minutes later.
Been loading on the Lee press before it hit the streets and will have you loading reliable ammo in no time.
SJC
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

The price for the RCBS kit should include 50BMG dies. All 3 presses I obtained came with dies, I sold two sets of dies.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 6:35:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought my Hornady 50 BMG Press (Identical to RCBS AmmoMaster 2, except in Red)  2 Christmas' ago. Paid right at $535 and it came with the dies. I sold off my Lee 50 Press and dies. 1-It was really tough resizing MG fired brass (I'm a BIG Guy) 2- It would not properly squeeze the brass in the head/web area. You just missed a sale at MidSouth  for the Hornady dies. They went as low as $130 for the set.  With that deal, anyone needing dies and press could have bought both for under $500

If you shop, and be patient you'll find a deal
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:31:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:05:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Ahhh I'd love this if it came to fruition!!!
Hopefully in video format since I learn like a monkey lol.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 4:09:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Removed. Please read the rules and keep all sales activity in the Equipment Exchange. --tbk1
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been shooting Federal XM33C exclusively. Doesn't Federal crimp their primers? How do you guys remove the crimping?

I think I may have to start reloading soon. Going to be the first time I try using surplus powder like WC870 or WC872 too. Kinda nervous
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:05:53 PM EDT
[#13]
You'll need a chamfer tool to take the crimp marks or ring from the primer pocket.
Don't be afraid of using pulled powder.
Load 215 grains of either powder and have fun.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:29:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Something like  this?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:58:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:24:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a Giraud trimmer and just realized my Giraud can handle the trimming. Yes!
I guess I just need an optimal tool to remove the primer pocket crimping.
If I remember right, I saw a primer pocket trimmer by LE Wilson and a swager by CH4D. Any experience or advice on which? They're both going to be $50-$75.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:29:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Dillon makes a primer pocket swaging tool that works well enough.
It's not as nice as the smaller tool they make that supports the case head while swaging the pocket.
The 50BMG tool cams the swaging end into the primer pocket without internal support, so material tend to move outward and the case rim may also be bent depending on it's thickness and fit within the supplied shell holder.
I've found I have to slowly work the case, turning it slightly as pressure is increased until swaging is completed.
Chamfering slightly before swaging is helpful too.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#19]
CH4D swage tool sucks - but works great if you want to destroy your brass cases.

I modified mine by cutting a 20 degree included angle across end - this allows for easier swaging and better control. Anyone wants to make one on a lathe must have carbide tooling to cut the hardened surface. I also make them with a 3/8" X 3" Long Hardened Dowel Pin with other end to press into center of a standard shell holder for RCBS RockChucker press.

I have heard but have not tried, that running the CH4D swage tool to top of stroke, placing a crimped case over top of their pin, placing a piece of 1/2" drill rod into case, and using a BF Hammer to drive case down over CH4D pin to depth was the intended usage. NOT my method.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:50:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I tried the CH4D swager and was not impressed.  The Wilson reamer leads to  a lot less priming issues, but pretty sure you have to have their trimmer to mount it in.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Do any of you weigh loaded rounds? I figured some of you that participate in matches might. I'm looking for a scale that is precise and can handle higher weights.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:23:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Do any of you weigh loaded rounds? I figured some of you that participate in matches might. I'm looking for a scale that is precise and can handle higher weights.
View Quote
I weigh projectiles to 0.2 grain lots, then look to see if a complete Match can be shot with one lot. If not, shoot them lightest to heaviest to minimize weight differences.

Cases are weighed to nearest grain, then loaded and fired heaviest to lightest.

I don't weigh primers - some do, but I'm not that anal.  I do "arm" the primers to ensure an even firing pressure.

I do weigh powder charges to 0.1 grain accuracy.

I do check concentricity of all loaded rounds and adjust to less than 0.002" T.I.R.

Be sure to label the storage block and shoot in proper order to minimize changes from one round to the next.

This procedure applies to Match Rounds ONLY - rock busting loads are less accurate.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Recently acquired a Hornady Lock N Load 50 BMG press kit/dies. Guess I'm going to start loading soon. Any idea if the bullet seating die applies a crimp? Going to be shooting it in a semiautomatic Barrett so I'm slightly... k decently concerned lol.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top