Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 3/26/2006 7:19:47 AM EDT
Is it ok to dry fire my AR-50?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:06:57 AM EDT
Its not good to dry fire any weapon, Its hard on the firing pin and if you do it enough it will break. Buy a Snap-Cap then you can dry fire all you want without worrying about harming your firing pin.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:05:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2006 6:06:13 PM EDT by sledhead907]

Originally Posted By Lone_Gunmann:
Its not good to dry fire any weapon, Its hard on the firing pin and if you do it enough it will break. Buy a Snap-Cap then you can dry fire all you want without worrying about harming your firing pin.

I've heard the complete opposite.

ETA: With the exception of 1911's
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:15:09 AM EDT
I thought only Rim Fire weapons is a No No with out a snap cap
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:25:57 AM EDT
I've heard from a variety of sources that on modern firearms, it's just fine to dry fire. I think in earlier years, with the use of sometimes weaker materials, dry firing could break parts, hence why the concern is still around.

Not true about all rimfires either. I think it even says in my Ruger MkII manual that dry firing is just fine.

I've heard that dry firing a 1911 is just fine as well.

I wish there was a right and wrong answer. In your case (AR-50) I'd shoot armalite an e-mail. That's a cat of a different color and could use a different system.

All in all, I don't intentionally dry fire anything very often, just out of habit. Or maybe I just prefer loading it up when I wanna work the trigger.

Gundraw

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:28:59 AM EDT
ive heard that rimfires and any weapon with a hammer that has a attached f/p will damage it

other then that it wont hurt it, (so ive heard.

Also: I dry fire my GLOCK all the time helps in fine turning your trigger pull techniques
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:43:17 PM EDT
don't Try it with a Valmet 76 in .223. I was doing a triger job and dry firing it as I progressed. when i finally got it to where I was happy with the initial pull weight I went to test fire. Click no Bang, WTF. checked primer no dent no marks nothing.

Pulled the bolt and relized what happened, $37 later I had a new pin that I had to fit to the rifles bolt which is a PITA.

Buy a $10 snap-cap and you won't ever worry about it

Jason
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:11:21 PM EDT
Armalite said to dry fire all i wanted it wouldn't harm it at all.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Top Top