Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 3/24/2006 2:32:58 PM EDT
can I use this press with smaller calibers?  If so does it require special adapters?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:39:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

Adapters are needed. The press is threaded for the larger .50 BMG dies.

I have the press, and it's great. But a few months after i bought it, lee came out with one.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:52:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the Classic Cast from Lee, but don't have a .50.  (someday... ) But I bought it with that in mind.

However, I keep getting mixed reviews.

Some say to load .50 effectively, you need to get one of the designated .50cal presses (I think CH4 makes one, and then you have your RCBS Ammomaster(?) etc. and Hornady has one).  However, I've heard this from very unreliable sources.

Other say they love using the Classic Cast.  One thing I noticed is, the classic cast uses 1 1/4 - 12 dies, which are different than some other commercial dies.  So you'd almost be stuck with their setup (good or bad...).

Don't mean to hijack here, but perhaps deepening the question a little bit.  Anyone care to shed some light?

Gundraw
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:38:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes.

I have the press, and it's great. But a few months after i bought it, lee came out with one.

Is the Lee press better?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Is the Lee press better?

I love mine.  Very sturdy and does what a single stage press does.  I don't know about "better."  It does have some nice features though, and is pretty nice for smaller calibers too.  Certainly a different breed of Lee press.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Never used it. But i have used other lee products, and been very happy. That, and the lee is about a third of the cost of the Hornady unit.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes.

Is the Lee press better?

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I am selling my RCBS .50BMG dies since getting my Lee press.   That should tell you something.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:05:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the Hornady 50BMG press (about 2 feet from my keyboard right now).  I load for accuracy and to save money.  The Hornady is sufficient for all but the most serious 50BMG loading purposes.  It uses  1-1/2" threaded dies that  are the standard for 50BMG.  The Corbin 50BMG press is significantly better but at  $800 (without dies), I could not justify that press personally.  

The Lee Classic Press must use 1-1/4" thread dies and this means only Lee dies will fit.   If you are making ammo for  serious competition I believe the Lee will not  get you there, but for plinking and informal stuf it may well be the ticket.  At the price it is the best bargain going.   If you decide to seriously chase accuracy buy enough press to keep from having to buy another one in a year.  

I reccomend you join FCSA, it is worth the $50 membership just for loading information alone.  These are the guys who revolutionized 50BMG into the long range accuracy sport that it is today, and they share information freely.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you are making ammo for  serious competition I believe the Lee will not  get you there,

I have used the Lee dies and press to make .5 MOA ammo using H50BMG powder and AMAX bullets.  I will buy the Lee neck sizing die when available and try to do better.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:53:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I have used the Lee dies and press to make .5 MOA ammo using H50BMG powder and AMAX bullets.  I will buy the Lee neck sizing die when available and try to do better.

Are they planning on releasing one?  This was actually the main drawback I saw.  A .50BMG collet die sounds like a heck of an idea to me.

Quoted:
If you are making ammo for  serious competition I believe the Lee will not  get you there,

I'm asking in all honesty.  If a press is solid and has enough mechanical advantage to do the job, what would make any other press work better?  This confuses me.  Like saying a 5lb sledge will drive a stake BETTER than a 4lb.  Yeah, one might be seem a little easier, but not "better".

Gundraw  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Are they planning on releasing one?  This was actually the main drawback I saw.  A .50BMG collet die sounds like a heck of an idea to me.

Lee tech support said they will release one within the year. This was in Feb 06.
The press is solid. It could be taller because you have to tilt the empty case to fit it into the resizing die. I am very happy with the press and am not looking to upgrade to a more expensive one.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:22:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought my press about 6 months ago and had to weight the value of the Lee against the Hornady (or the RCBS, which is close to identical and the same price).  The Hornady has a bigger press opening which makes loading a bit easier (setting the bullet on the case - more room).  The Hornady had a longer operating rod (handle lever, whatevr you call it), which should provide better leverage.  This I cannot verify because it is all in the linkage points, etc and I have never loaded on the Lee Press.

For me the single show stopper for the Lee press is it cannot take the standard 50BMG dies.  If I later wanted to use a better bullet seater die for instance I could not do this and would then have to buy another press.

If you are making half MOA ammo on the Lee then you are already where I hope to be, so you have managed to set up a 50BMG reloading outfit at a bargain price and get potential match winning accuracy.   At the time I was inquiring the feedback I got was not all positive for the Lee 50BMG press, but it is indeed good to hear that there are guys out there making great ammo on the Lee press.  

I look at a press as a long term investment.  If the Hornady proves more capable (which I believe it is) then I have saved money in the long run.  I the end it is all about getting out and shooting our rifles to have FUN.  Lots of way to get there and as long as we are safe, it is all good!
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top