Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 2/26/2006 5:36:40 PM EDT
Would you look for a certain year or certain features?
Better yet, what should you avoid?

I know they have changed a little over the years, but I don't know the details or which "one" to look for.

edit:  corrected horrible grammar!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:20:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The older ones were still nice rifles. Probably avoid the ones in the pre-200-250 serial range. The guy that built them then didn't know a heck of a lot about building guns. He butchered some of them up pretty badly. The barrel fit was pretty loose also so he JB Welded them in to get them to align properly in the receiver.
It was a pretty bad hack job.
Look at the front of the receiver underneath the barrel. If you see the aluminum mushroomed out a bit, that was one of his builds. He would bang the receiver nose on a steel plate instead of pressing the barrel in.
Some of them shot well, but look like crap.

If the rifle has been maintained well, any of the ones after those should do you right.

WOW!

Do you know if the new style break is more/less effective?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#4]
50cal,
While we are on the subject did you ever get to compare the M99 to the Bluegrass Viper?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:07:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A Viper is an M99. One of the guys that was doing the purchasing at Barrett sent prints to the machine shop side of Bluegrass Armory. They changed a few things, and the Viper was born.

Is there not Patent infringing going on there?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:48:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I had heard that BGA was a vendor for Barret at one time. Is this true?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:34:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A Viper is an M99. One of the guys that was doing the purchasing at Barrett sent prints to the machine shop side of Bluegrass Armory. They changed a few things, and the Viper was born.

I hear this all the time about the VIPER. The rifles are similar in appearance but beyond that not "the same"

Here is my evaluation of the Viper and why it is different. I have heard some of this has changed recently.

The lock up for each weapon is entirely different. The Viper is very similar to a M700 bolt body with a Sako extractor. The 99 is an interrupted thread lockup and looks similar to a Browning.

The 99 uses a muzzle break for a recoil operated (82) weapon. By design it cannot be as effective as one designed for a bolt gun. The Vipers break is much better.

The Viper bolt is further forward and allows people to comfortably shoot either the right handed gun or the left handed gun from either side. The 99s bolt is further back and perilously close to the shooters face if they are left handed.

The Viper comes in a left handed version. Not so with the 99.

The Viper has a ramped area forward of the buttstock that allows you to move your non shooting hand back and forth to gain or lose elevation.

The Viper has a safety in it that prevents you from removing the trigger group with the bolt closed. If you remove the bolt from a 99 with the bolt closed and a live round in it......BOOM!!!. Gun goes off!!!!!!!!!

I paid 2395.00 for my Viper and my freindly FFL charged me 25.00. Bluegrass will do the same for you if you ask!! The gun can be painted anyway you want if you are patient. barrel length and length of pull were also negotiable if you were willing to wait!

The gun is competitive with any gun of its type in the accuracy department. Look for the name Mark Avakian and see what he been doing with his Viper. Mine will shoot under an inch with AMAX, and I haven't shot it much or gotten used to the gun yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barrett makes a great gun. But me being left handed and wanting others to be able to shoot my 50, the safety issue, the reduced recoil, the better stock design, and the price were all too much to overlook.

The customer service I received while ordering and following up with my gun was second to none.
Jeff called me several times during the order process and afterward just to check up on how I was enjoying my weapon. SECOND TO NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The Viper bolt is further forward and allows people to comfortably shoot either the right handed gun or the left handed gun from either side. The 99s bolt is further back and perilously close to the shooters face if they are left handed.

Thank you Moose.  I've been kicking tires for a long time and don't see much info for us lefties!  Many of the RB guns look like an orthodontist's nightmare.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Why would you want to remove the bolt in a 99 with a live round in it?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I researched for a long time while saving for my Viper. I also shoot LH (devils eye) and I have to say that putting your teeth behind a
.50 bolt is a leap of faith. I feel much better having my cheek weld on the other side.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I researched for a long time while saving for my Viper. I also shoot LH (devils eye) and I have to say that putting your teeth behind a
.50 bolt is a leap of faith.
I feel much better having my cheek weld on the other side.

This is exactly why I'm learning to shoot right handed.  Something about a LH bolt and/or LH ejection port just looks wrong to me.  Also the resale on a custom rifle like that would be just a little bit more difficult due to our "unique" requirements.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Seldom do acccidents happen because somebody "wanted to".

I would also ask why somebody would design a rifle with this flaw, find out about it, get offered a solution and not want  to change it when they were given an opportunity to do so.!!!!

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seldom do acccidents happen because somebody "wanted to".

I would also ask why would somebody would design a rifle with this flaw, find out about it, get offered a solution and not want  to change it when they were given an opportunity to do so.!!!!

Very interesting claim.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:06:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I will concede that that the 99 and the Viper are similar. I know BGA used to work for Barrett doing some of there machining.

My understanding (from a source who would know) is that Bluegrass offered Barrett the solution to the bolt issue when they were doing piece work for them. Barrett said no thanks.

I don't have anything against Barrett. Hell they deserve all the Kudos that we 50 shooters can give them.  I just get tired of hearing that BGA "stold" Barretts design.

These same folks who spout that argument must shoot only Colt brand 1911's, Mauser brand turn bolts, Colt brand AR15s etc...... They must also hate Ruger, Winchester, Remington, Springfield Armory, Kimber, Taurus, Sigs,  and 95% of all gun companies.

The Bluegrass Armory stands on it's own merit!!!!!!!

And nope I am not connected with Bluegrass in any way!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:03:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I will concede that that the 99 and the Viper are similar. I know BGA used to work for Barrett doing some of there machining.

My understanding (from a source who would know) is that Bluegrass offered Barrett the solution to the bolt issue when they were doing piece work for them. Barrett said no thanks.

I don't have anything against Barrett. Hell they deserve all the Kudos that we 50 shooters can give them.  I just get tired of hearing that BGA "stold" Barretts design.

These same folks who spout that argument must shoot only Colt brand 1911's, Mauser brand turn bolts, Colt brand AR15s etc...... They must also hate Ruger, Winchester, Remington, Springfield Armory, Kimber, Taurus, Sigs,  and 95% of all gun companies.

The Bluegrass Armory stands on it's own merit!!!!!!!

And nope I am not connected with Bluegrass in any way!!!!!!

Chime in here.....
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=3&t=195757&page=1
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#20]
A Viper is an M99. One of the guys that was doing the purchasing at Barrett sent prints to the machine shop side of Bluegrass Armory. They changed a few things, and the Viper was born

Wrong, the Viper is a completely different gun than the 99 in every aspect.  I spoke toGary at the SHOT show, the reason the buyer for Barrett sent prints to them was because they made many many parts for Barrett.  I have a 99, and just ordered a Viper after looking at it at SHOT and they are not even simular in design.  In my opinion, the Viper is the gun Barrett was thinking about when they designed their 99.

Ask around and compare the guns for yourself.  That way you will understand.

Eric
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
A Viper is an M99. One of the guys that was doing the purchasing at Barrett sent prints to the machine shop side of Bluegrass Armory. They changed a few things, and the Viper was born

Wrong, the Viper is a completely different gun than the 99 in every aspect.  I spoke toGary at the SHOT show, the reason the buyer for Barrett sent prints to them was because they made many many parts for Barrett.  I have a 99, and just ordered a Viper after looking at it at SHOT and they are not even simular in design.  In my opinion, the Viper is the gun Barrett was thinking about when they designed their 99.

Ask around and compare the guns for yourself.  That way you will understand. They did not change a few things. They like the extruded amuminum stock and changed dang near everthing else!!

Eric

I fully agree and you are correct Bluegrass did make parts for Barrett.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top