Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 2/16/2006 9:03:46 AM EDT
Im interested in a 50 bolt action possibly. Im trying to do the reading and research and I would like some suggestions on those of you who have them.
What is a good bolt action made by a reputable company? I know its subjective but I want one that I know was well made by a company that will be around for a while.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:14:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tnek:
Im interested in a 50 bolt action possibly. Im trying to do the reading and research and I would like some suggestions on those of you who have them.
What is a good bolt action made by a reputable company? I know its subjective but I want one that I know was well made by a company that will be around for a while.

Armalite AR50 with a prince50 bipod and monopod. excelent as long as you can carry a heavy load. pussy cat to shoot and is a very high quality gun that wont bankrupt you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:01:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Jeff_1:
Armalite AR50 with a prince50 bipod and monopod. excelent as long as you can carry a heavy load. pussy cat to shoot and is a very high quality gun that wont bankrupt you.

+1

There are many other excellent ones out there. But the AR-50 is extremely accurate, excellent to shoot, low recoil, quality made, and won't bankrupt you. It is a great choice if you plan on doing bench shooting, and not planning on lugging it thru fields to take it hunting.

And definately get the Prince50 bi-pod and mono-pod. When you get a case get a hard case (Guardforce has one that fits the AR-50 perfectly. Soft cases will rip with this rifle. And scope selection is a subject unto itself!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:21:12 AM EDT
I have to agree with everyone so far, the AR50 is accurate and sweet to shoot, here's a pic of mine, just waiting for my glass
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:05:08 PM EDT
While we're posting pictures...

Obviously you know which one I vote for
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:23:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FlameRed:
. And scope selection is a subject unto itself!

I have a NightForce nxs 5.5-22x56 with the np-r2 recticle, best scope and recticle on the market IMO
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:41:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By np50bmg4evr:
I have to agree with everyone so far, the AR50 is accurate and sweet to shoot, here's a pic of mine, just waiting for my glass
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=44508

How do you know if it is accurate if you don't even have a scope on it yet???

Also consider the Ferret 50 and the ALS uppers.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:55:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GlockA-Molee:

Originally Posted By np50bmg4evr:
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=44508

How do you know if it is accurate if you don't even have a scope on it yet???

Also consider the Ferret 50 and the ALS uppers.

haha, good question. I will say this though, mine fits me like a glove. The prince monopod is priceless. And nightforce is the shit. heavy heavy heavy, but I love this gun., esp since its so easy to shoot accurately.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:11:56 AM EDT
I had borrowed an Armalite one piece mount and a Super Sniper 20X from the owner of the LGS where I bought the rifle. he took it off his Barrett M82A1, pays to do all your buissness with the same guy for over 20yrs.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:42:53 AM EDT
ALS has a 9months to a year wait.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:03:18 AM EDT
I recently had the opportunity to shoot 3 bolt action BMG's (well, 2 TRUE bolts, and a shell holder..), with 3 diferent types of ammo. I shot at 200 yards for the range work, and various ranges in the field kiling rockchucks.

The guns were a State Arms Rebel (full length bbl, wood stock), an AR50, and a Serbu BFG-50.

The full results will be a segment in our next video, www.dogbegoneandbeyond.com

But in a nutshell, they ranked like this:

Accuracy:
Best- State Arms********Worst- AR50

Trigger:
Best- State Arms********Worst- AR50 (though the Serbu was not better by very much at all...)

Function:
All guns functioned well, with 2 failures to fire coming from the Serbu.

We ranked a few more categories, but that's the gist of it.

Bottom line should be determined by your intended use. Of all the test guns, I chose to keep the Serbu. This was 90% determined by the fact that at 22#, it makes the most sense of the 3 for field use.
If I had intended this to be strictly a bench gun, the State Arms would have gotten the nod hands down.

Of course, there are other great choices out there from AMAC, Barrett, et al. But I have no hands on experience with them.

Hope this helps

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:10:07 PM EDT
I'm in the same boat - i have one more rifle to buy before I have all the guns I need. yeah, right.

Anyhow, I've been looking at the Safety Harbor Firearms .50 cal upper. The price is right, and I like the idea of the fact that I'd only be buying a barrelled upper - not a numbered receiver. Any thoughts, especially based on personal experience, would be appreciated.

flcracker
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:46:38 AM EDT
I thing the State Arms Rebel is great! I recomend it to all.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:41:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:52:28 PM EDT
I have a State Arms Shorty and it is a great gun.

Someone is selling an older model Rebel on gunbroker for cheap right now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:27:01 AM EDT
Wolfpack, you can get the prince bipod & monopod direct from Darin @ dlprince1@aol.com, he'll set you up, that's where I got mine. the Armalite soft case is a bagmaster, I'm still trying to find one.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:10:14 PM EDT
A recoil pad to try for your A2 buttstock would be a precut limbsaver for a ruger M77 wood stock. I put one on my ultralite 50. You have to get smaller head screws to fit the buttstock. It matches up pretty close. Maybe a 1/16 off at the bottom of the pad but sure beats the hell out of that hard plastic.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Top Top