Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 2/12/2006 6:40:04 AM EDT
I was told that a .50 is not welcome at my Gun Club.  I was wondering what you guys would recommend as an alternative?  Something a little smaller.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:40:53 AM EDT
[#1]
A change of gun club!!!

Keep your .50BMG!!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:24:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#3]
what club in NJ. i am getting a .50 and i belong to Cherry Ridge. I asked them twice if it is allowed. they said yes without hesitation. i asked if there was anything i should be aware of so as not to tic off anyone. they said no just common sense. i dont know of anyone who shoots a .50 there as of yet, but they didnt flinch when asked.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#4]
CENTRAL JERSEY RIFLE AND PISTOL CLUB IN JACKSON
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:07:47 AM EDT
[#5]
come to cherry ridge. you can shoot at 300yrds against a mountain. what .50 are you shooting.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:03:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I dont have one yet, looking to buy one.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:55:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
come to cherry ridge. you can shoot at 300yrds against a mountain. what .50 are you shooting.

So you confirm that in this shooting club, http://www.anjrpc.org/index.htm, you can fire a Barret cal 50 rifle?........

Some in new jersey organize a festival or a competition with 50 cal rifle?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:03:39 AM EDT
[#8]
yep thats the range, cherry ridge. the link is right under the banner. i asked the range officer twice and spoke to the big bore contact. i dont know of anyone who does yet. untill someone showes up and shoot one we will never know for sure.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:15:38 AM EDT
[#9]

untill someone showes up and shoot one we will never know for sure.

But in New Jersey usually where a owner of a 50 cal rifle can shoot? there are other ranges who allows the 50 cal?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#10]
According to the Brady bunch, people shoot fifties at oil refineries, airports, any place where an armored car is or schoolyards all the time. You shouldn't have a problem finding a place to shoot. They say you can shoot from up to 7 miles away, with deadly results.

Be sure to get the cop-killing, super explosive anti-tank shells. They work the best.

Good luck. Wish I could afford one.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
According to the Brady bunch, people shoot fifties at oil refineries, airports, any place where an armored car is or schoolyards all the time. You shouldn't have a problem finding a place to shoot. They say you can shoot from up to 7 miles away, with deadly results.

Be sure to get the cop-killing, super explosive anti-tank shells. They work the best.

Good luck. Wish I could afford one.

Sorry I don't understand what you're saying................
i have to deduce that in NJ the laws does not permit to use a cal 50 rifle?
i had understand yes........
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:58:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Sorry. It was supposed to be sarcasm. It may lose something in the translation.

All the gun banning fools point to the fact that .50's can bring down airliners, blow up refineries and armored cars, and kill cops all the time. Fact is that it has never happened, not once.

But hey, if you can't win by facts, win by spreading base-less fears.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry. It was supposed to be sarcasm. It may lose something in the translation.

All the gun banning fools point to the fact that .50's can bring down airliners, blow up refineries and armored cars, and kill cops all the time. Fact is that it has never happened, not once.

But hey, if you can't win by facts, win by spreading base-less fears.

Yes my friend, i totally agree with you.............i have listen some about this issue between this stupi fear-adders..............
and then i ask you..in which US STATES you can shoot with a 50 cal freely?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:21:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I double checked with the president of our club before I bought my AR50. I was told no problem, just don't shot it early in the morning or after dusk, common sense rules. but this is a private club, when you pay to join and your dues there after, you're paying for your piece of the club. there is no public welcome, only on scheduled events.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

So far, there aren't any states that have BANNED the .50s from being shot.
California has frozen the number of .50bmg rifles in that state to those already there at the end of 2005.  
Already there are new .50 caliber variants ready to take it's place.

Finding a range that will allow you to shoot the .50bmg rifles can be another issue altogether.

Here in California,  there aren't that many formal ranges that allow the 50s, BUT we do have a lot of open public land where they can be shot.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#17]
i will shoot mine during the day when everyone is at work. hardley anyone shoots at the 300yrd range during the week. just use your head and make sure there is a good buffer between you and the other shooters. the only issue the range had was just use good ammo. they had a problem with someone who bought cheap surplus ammo.  it turned out to be tracer and started a fire.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I am fortunate enough to have a 100 yard bench in my backyard. The field can be shot out to 250. One of my neighbors about 5 min down the road has a 1000+ range, small bench w/ a manhole cover for a reactive target). I think if I had to pay dues at a range and they would not allow me to shoot one of my weapons me and my money would have them in the review mirror. I try to be a good neighbor, call before I shoot to let them know, invite them over to shoot, dont shoot all night or early in the am. It is really nice to shoot right out of the back door.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:41:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So far, there aren't any states that have BANNED the .50s from being shot.
California has frozen the number of .50bmg rifles in that state to those already there at the end of 2005.  
Already there are new .50 caliber variants ready to take it's place.

Finding a range that will allow you to shoot the .50bmg rifles can be another issue altogether.

Here in California,  there aren't that many formal ranges that allow the 50s, BUT we do have a lot of open public land where they can be shot.

www.daplane.com/50bmg/socal00.jpg

...........I FEEL SO MUCH ENVY FOR YOUR BEAUTIFUL STATE AND OPEN RANGES........

COULD I MOVE TO STATES?????............I SUPPOSE I NEED A GREEN CARD FIRST
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:56:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

my father-in-law is a first generation from your neck of the woods (Pomidoro is the name).

come on over and join us.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#21]
I would also recommend checking for any state park ranges.  In PA that's where I go.  It's free, open, secluded and goes out to 300 yards with pistol and rifle ranges.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#22]
With Central jersey just go to the meetings are request premission to shoot it. Someone was approved in last week's news letter IIRC.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:01:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Doesn't allow .50 BMG ....

Simple solution get a Barrett 416
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:26:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

my father-in-law is a first generation from your neck of the woods (Pomidoro is the name).

come on over and join us.  

+1
come on over and get a taste of freedom, friend.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:26:33 AM EDT
[#25]
the association of New Jersey rifle and pistol clubs is starting a 50 cal shooters program. this is listed in the new news letter (vol 18 number 2 mar/apr 2006) they are going to sponsor shooting events and defend the rights of .50 cal shooters. the venue is Cherry Ridge. the date for the program development is March 18 you can contact them at [email protected]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I am pretty lucky as of right now.  there are something like 3 332 ranges 10 minutes north of me.  its all at birchwood range.  each range is cut off from the others so you can walk or drive your targets with the cooperation of 5 or 6 other people shooting at that section rather than closing down the full range.  Most times when I go there I carefully remind them that my rifle is very loud and is mainly loud to the sides directly next to me.  I ask if they would like to give me the farthest bench to the side so I only have to worry about one person on my flank.  Normally though there aren't enough people to have to worry about.  Kalifornistan is the only republic really hurting .50 owners up in alaska the only restriction I really have is that I can't shoot there sniper gong.  I just have to find something else to blow up.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#27]
It's legal to shoot a .50BMG in indiana on some ranges and on private property as long as you do not shoot into another property. This does depend on jurisdiction, some cities do not allow weapons fire unless it is on a range baring it's use in self defense.

If I can legally own the firearm I can shoot it at most ranges. Some ranges have become restricted because of stupidity on a small fraction of the shooters. It was either close the range or suffer range masters.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:12:23 AM EDT
[#28]
The private range I USED TO belong to had a "No 50BMG" policy.  I asked a club officer why and he stated they cause excessive berm erosion, which was at least a reason.  When I ordered a 50BMG rifle I questioned another club officer and got a BS answer something like "they are too powerful".  I told him he was no better than the politicians who are banning rifles in CA, and he got all snippy with me.   I informed him that I could no longer support a club which selectivly bans weapons and did not renew my membership for 2006.   Problem is I have not been able to find range to shoot on.  We do have a great location in the mountains to shoot but it is an hour drive each way, so it is a monthly thing.

If you are serious about a smaller caliber, the 338 Lapua Magnum has great long-range capabilities and in a good rifle is very accurate with match ammo.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Have you tried the new Buckeye range yet?

They had a 50cal fun shoot there last month and I'd like to know what distances were allowed there.

Buckeye Range
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Get a Barrett in 416 and learn to reload. Shoot alot of rounds.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Just get the 338LM and for get about a Barrett416. You might not be able to get ammo for it when you need it.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top