Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 4:52:15 AM EDT
I am going to be sighting in my AR-50 this weekend, and was wondering about the trajectory of the 50 cal.  I am using Talon 633 grain FMJ ammo and my maximum range will be 500 yds.  I have a SS 16x scope mounted on a 15 minute riser with high mount rings.

Where would be a good place to start at 25 and 100 yds to get it on paper?  With ammo costs what they are, I don't want to waste any.  

Any help  is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.....
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:00:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Set your target up at 100 yards, if you don't have any sandbags or something to hold your .50 try to get some. After setting up your target, pull the bolt out and center the target bullseye in the bore. Then look through your scope and get the same sight picture as you're seeing through your bore. Once you're satisfied that they're close, fire a shot and see how close you were to where you had the crosshairs lined up. Should get you close enough to where you only have to make a few adjustments.

Remember, if you have 1/4 MOA adjustments on your scope, you'll need 4 clicks to move it 1" at 100 yards. You might want to bring a ruler to measure how far off of center you are or try usuing a target that has a 1" grid pattern on it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:44:00 AM EDT
[#2]
If I am dead on at 100, where will that put me at 500?  My 30-06 is sighted in 2 inches high at 100, and that puts me dead on again at 275.

Thats what I am wondering about.  I haven't been able to find any trajectory tables with this information for a 50 cal.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Looking at a chart that was printed in VHP 2005-1, it shows a drop of roughly 40" at 500 yards for .50 BMG ball ammo. Your bullet weight should be higher for FMJ, if it's M33 it should be about 650 grs. and M2 ball should be about 700 grs. Should be about 8 MOA or 32 clicks up from your setting at 100 yards.

If you want a copy of that issue you can order it from the FCSA www.fcsa.org and if you're not a member I would advise it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks 50....
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top