Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 12/14/2003 8:53:50 AM EDT
As I've seen in the past, most bolt rifles, no matter where you get them, have many inperfections in how they are built.  I'm sure all of you are aware of these things, which is pretty much the basis behind custom built weapons is to first take the intperfections out of the action, barrel, and especially the bedding.

Just a question of curiosity, but when it come to the trueness of the action, bolt face, and bedding configuration on and AR-50, is there much room for improvement?  Is there such a thing as "accurizing" a rifle like this, or is this one of the FEW rifles anymore that the manufactures take time to build RIGHT?  

I guess I've never heard this posted and I'd like to know if anyone a.)has done it, b.)knows if it's worth doing.

Thanks in advance to any input.  Merry Christmas to all!!.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Other than a better trigger, I cant think what you'd need to do.  I can shoot 0.5 moa with ball in mine so I'm not really inclined to try for 'better'.  I have to remind myself the maxium, "the enemy of good is better."
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess Armalite could offer one with a match chamber. The AR-50's chamber is deeper then the Grand Canyon Canyon. Is there an echo in here?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#3]
.5 moa with ball ammo, surely this is NOT mil surplus!! what components do you use, that is pretty tight shootin ball
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Talon Ball!  I get between 1 and .75 MOA with yugo ball.  I posted a 5 shot 600 yard group that was 3.6 by 1.8 inches but cant find it now.

yeah, it shocked me too, but it saved me having to go out and buy more reloading equipment.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:58:57 AM EDT
[#5]
have you tried any match grade in it? sounds like you got a real shooter there
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I havent tried any 'match' stuff yet but a fellow 50 shooter just got his reloading set up all assembled so I may try loading some 50 ammo with him, but I'm not sure the expense in time or money makes it worth it.  why spend $1+ for a bullet when I get the loaded round for about that?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#7]
good point, I just received my Hornady press today. When I get everything setup, I plan on reloading  the brass from my HSM match cartridges that i'm shooting now. I'm paying $2.99 per round for the HSM. It won't be much cheaper to reload them but I plan on trying to get them tuned to my rifle. I want to try some solids too.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top