Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2003 11:55:08 AM EDT
My order got lost in all the Sam's Club distribution ordeal, clearly Starlight is overwhelmed with orders. I was told 9000 were shipped to various Sam's Club around the nation, so get'em while you can. At any rate, those of you interested in getting one for a fifty, here's some pics....
In caparison to the smaller, AR style of case, note the obvious color difference between the two cases. The new, larger case is a lot more "dull" in color, and slightly lighter. I prefer it to the darker "OD".

Here is the Barrett insert. At first, I was apprehensive at the insert, it is pretty dang flimsy. After a few emails to Barrett, I confirmed this is the insert they use and sell. They said they use a double sided tape to secure the insert to the case interior, mine came with none. Not a big deal, but a bummer nonetheless. Note the "dremel" tool marks on the case interior, it appears that some small fitting has to be done for the insert.

Here is the case with the rifle in it.

All in all, I can say this. The case itself is rock solid, but I cant say the same for the Barrett insert, which is made from ABS plastic. The rifle appears to index upon the insert at the muzzle break and the receiver, directly underneath where the bolt is, along the length of the receiver. Scratches are kinda of a concern, but so is the rough handling an airline would certainly submit to the case and insert. I am not sure I would be comfortable with shipping a rifle in this case, with the ABS insert. I haven't tried the closed cell foam, but I suspect it will collapse under the heavy weight, over time. I guess the ABS plastic insert is the best they could do for the heavy rifle, I dunno.

All this is preliminary info, and I will of course update with any changes. For now, I'm keeping the ABS insert and will tape it down. Anybody have any other ideas?
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice looking setup you have. The plastic insert looks nice but if your worried about the Barret getting messed up . Try some thin foam under it and tape some thick stuff in those bare places.(kinda like a cradle) Just to make sure it doesn't slide around any.  For some super tuff 2 sided tape try R/C servo 2 sided tape. It has holding power like a SOB. Good luck
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
You can try filling the back of the insert with spray foam.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#3]
AZ,
My 82A1 came with the Starlightb Case and a plastic insert for the rifle. I too was worried about it's integrity over the long haul; but nothing has happened so far from 10 transports in my Suburban.

Are you saying that Sams wholesale has these cases now?  I bought some other cases directly from Starlight with the really heavy duty foam stuff that are great.  I'm not real crazy about the pistol cases because the case opens in the exact middle with tons of unusable space in the lid.  Pelican cases for pistols are more conducive to using proper space better.

If they are available at Sam's, how much are they?

Do upi think that expandable foam on the back side will give any support?
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I think the basic case is $119 from Sam's. You'll have to heck your local one, the one here doesnt yet have them, but I spoke with both Brack Wilson at Starlight, along with the owner (forgot his name) and both told me 9000 cases were shipped to various Sam's Clubs around the nation.

A smokin deal.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 9:39:16 AM EDT
[#5]
If anyone gets one of these from Sams club please let me know what the item # on the reciept is. Mine doesnt have one yet either they say they can make sure I get one. What is the length of this case?
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Check in the percision rifles forum their is a complete topic on the starlights from sams.I seen the case that sams is selling its a 52"(I think) 2 gun case and its nice,if I had the cash I would buy one myself.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 2:37:29 AM EDT
[#7]
sams club item # 212836 :)
my rifle is 58" long    :(
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top