Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 9/7/2003 6:06:20 PM EDT
I have a .50 coming and want to get some ammo.
I have tried to learn all I can from surfing the net, but here are the ?'s.

I want to get some quality ammo that is fairly accurate (not benchrest, not crap).  Hopefully not too expensive so I can afford to shoot more.  Not to old so it still has some storage life.

Where is the best place to buy?

Are you better off buying componants and reloading?

What type of ammo or brass to avoid or try to buy.

I have tried to find the answers at biggerhammer but couldn't find to much.

Thanks for the patience w/ a .50 newbie.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 2:42:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Most shoot stuff like Talon or Yugo since it is widely availible and cheap. Accuracy is fair and its good stuff for getting to know your rifle with. A step up is something like Hunting Shack Munitions, better accuracy for about 50% more cost. Lots of folks are reloading military components with good results. Tim Tucker over at Biggerhammer comes to mind. I've shot his ammo as have some of my friends with great results.

Ammoman.com, Ammunitionstore.com, and Midsouthshooterssupply.com are a few places you can order ammo. Midsouth carries HSM ammo made with new commercial brass. I'm sure others will chime in with a list of their favorite vendors.

Reloading is good but plan on spending around $500 to get started. Midsouth has a kit for $400 but there is always something else to buy.

Avoid Yellow tip Dominican, Maine Cartridge Company, and TNW ammo. Those all have bad reputations but I've had no personal experiance with them.

Hope this helps a little and welcome to the club.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top