Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 8/20/2003 11:21:57 PM EDT
I want to get one of the above, what are your opinions?  which trigger is nicer, how heavy and awkward is the armalite, etcetc.    tell me the pros and cons, please

Thanks!     Danny
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 1:23:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Both are great guns, I have a Serbu .50 now. I might try and get in on this GB and would suggest anyone wanting the AR-50 to do it, the price is awesome.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=3&t=170680
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Both are great guns....I have a Serbu..and love it...I have shot the AR50 and is a great gun also...but the AR50 is a few pounds more in weight...you cant go wrong either way
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Pappy1 is correct. Two great rifles. The Serbu has the mobility advantage being shorter and lighter. Of course the Armalite is much sexier looking.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I really like my AR-50 due to its AR pistol grip and Rem 700'ish trigger. It's heavy as heck and with the Brake kicks about like a 20 ga. 3" mag. to me. I don't think you can go wrong with either you mention.

MM419
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Brrrrrrrrrrr! I got the fever BAD!

Tj
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 5:15:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Brrrrrrrrrrr! I got the fever BAD!

Tj

...take two 50's and call Mark in the mornin'...LOL
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Let's get one thing straight, we're talking .50's here! None of them are LIGHT! The lightest .50 made is the one from Anzio at 13 lbs. unloaded w/o a scope and bipod.

If you think your going to be trotting through the woods with a .50 to go hunting, think again. Most hunters complain about their 8 lb. .308 rifles being to heavy. The Serbu carbine is 18 lbs. w/o a scope and bipod, so figure 22-23 lbs w/everything on it. About the only thing your going to want to do if you take it hunting is to find a good spot overlooking a wide open space and then sit and wait. This would be after driving to that spot with a truck or ATV.

Both rifles are capable of MOA or better with match ammo, Mark did a trigger upgrade on the BFG's and you can swap out the factory trigger on the AR-50 for anything that will fit on a Rem 700. With all this being said, most people will only shoot off a bench or prone with a bipod.

The reason I like my AR-50 over the BFG is the fact that it's just easier to shoot and there's less felt recoil. Basically it will come down to which one YOU like more.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 3:31:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I like tinkering with machine tools and building things.  One feature that sold me on the AR-50 is the T-slot on the bottom of the solid aluminum stock.  I made mount adapters for an MG-42 tripod, so recoil is not an issue at all.

Here's a pic taken August 23, 2003 by citizen2.  Note grin on face and absence of pain:

ACK!  Sorry about the red X spam.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#9]
the dreaded red x spam
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 8:57:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Personally i like the serbu, on looks, price and the excellent customer service that ive heard comes of Mr. Serbu.

And the "have a nice day" engraving on the brake just made my day when i saw it.

Link Posted: 8/26/2003 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#11]
AR-50s are in stock and ready to ship you could have one by the end of next week.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I have both of these 50's and prefer the ar50. It's heavier (less recoil), has a real frame not just a tube like the bfg. I think the brake is better on the ar50 as well. I like the fact that it has a stock with a channel on the bottom. Makes for an easy fit for just about any bipod. Now, if I had to carry either of the two I'd have to go with the bfg then.. :) Both are well made and I've yet to have any issues with either.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top