Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 6/13/2003 12:10:57 PM EDT
A 10-day "cooling off" period seems like a month when you're waiting for your first 50-caliber rifle.

I'll be picking up my new ArmaLite AR-50 tomorrow (Saturday, 6/14) morning.  I had the cash in hand at just the right time, and with some egging on from the ArmaLite sales rep for Cali and other AR15.comers I talked myself into it.  No regrets, no turning back, and I can relax a little knowing I beat one more gun ban.

The following items have been ordered and are on the way:

- Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14 x 50 scope with duplex reticle from CheaperThanDirt

- One-piece 30 mm scope mount from ArmaLite

- 300 rounds of Talon remanufactured ammo from Ammoman

Down with the Caliban sales tax!  Praise the Internet!

Short term plan is to build an adapter to mount the AR-50 on an MG-42 tripod.  Time to fire up the milling machine.  Since I'll be on vacation starting 6/21 the beast should be ready for the 6/28 shoot just this side of Las Vegas.  Looking forward to meeting some fellow AR15.comers.

I already have a little over 100 rounds of once-fired brass.  Thinking about getting the RCBS single-stage press and whatnot.  If this is like most other forums on AR15.com I'm sure there will be plenty of good information available.

Tick...  ...tick... ...tick... ...tick...
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats. Got to shoot mine for the first time last week. You'll love it.

Good reloaded ammo from Tim Tucker. If you need his info let me know.

(I know the factory doesn't like reloads, but I trust his ammo more than a lot of factory/military stuff)
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations  We need all the .50 owners we can get.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#3]
If you can't wait until the 28th, come out to ASR on the 22nd www.angelesranges.com if you want.

If you plan on shooting your AR-50 get there early. Our group will be there and ARM USA is having their .50 shoot on the same day. Range opens at 9am, it would be a good idea to get there around 8-8:15am to get a bench.

AR-50 accessories www.50cal.cjb.net the guy that makes the stuff will be there on the 22nd. Armalite does sell his stuff for the AR-50.

In case you haven't heard of it but probably have, here's the link to Biggerhammer www.biggerhammer.net/barrett/wwwboard/index.cgi? just beware of the trolls!

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the invitation, 50_Shooter.  I doubt that I can make it on the 22nd due to a family situation but it's nice to know there's a recurring event like that.

Less than 16 hours to go.  Man, this is torture.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the club!

Armalite AR50L Here.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Armalite AR50L Here.

Ah, a southpaw.  I shoot long guns left-handed because of an eye condition, but the only AR-50 in stock in San Diego was a right-hander and I didn't want to risk having the rifle banned before ArmaLite could deliver one here.

The cheekpiece is coming off as soon as I uncrate the rifle.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, I'm a Southpaw. I lucked out when I ordered mine. Armalite had two lefties on the shelf. From the time I ordered it until the time it was delivered was 21 days.

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks for the invitation, 50_Shooter.  I doubt that I can make it on the 22nd due to a family situation but it's nice to know there's a recurring event like that.

Less than 16 hours to go.  Man, this is torture.

Torture...wait till you haul that big sum bitch around. That's torture!
My Barretts smaller than the Armalite and it's just killing my son  Welcome!
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:03:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Ferret-50 Upper/DPMS Single-Shot Lower/Tasco Super Sniper 20x Glass/Badger Max-50 Rings make up my Fifty.

I'm in Oxnard. Where in Kali are you?

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:57:29 AM EDT
[#10]

I'm in Oxnard. Where in Kali are you?

San Diego, America's Finest City.

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Well its 5:00 PM Cali time and we all want to know if you got it this morning.Are you a proud parent of a .50 now??Let us all know!!!Congrats!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:26:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well its 5:00 PM Cali time and we all want to know if you got it this morning.Are you a proud parent of a .50 now??Let us all know!!!Congrats!!

...he's probably been too busy just cleaning 'er up and such to write right now!

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#13]
He's probably getting his hernia repaired after lifting it...j/k....well we're waiting...
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:00:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
...he's probably been too busy just cleaning 'er up and such to write right now!

LOL!  You're in the X-ring.  I spent several hours doing cleaning and familiarization, installed scope mount rail properly.  I picked which neighbor's house to use for a laser bore-sighting target, then had dinner and crashed.  Hadn't been away from both the computer and the TV for that long since my last backpacking trip.

It took a lot of patches to get that barrel Marine clean.  I don't know if ArmaLite didn't clean it after testing it, or if the boys in the shop fired a round or two through it (which they vigorously deny).  That would kind of suck but I could hardly blame them.

Gun store spaced the owner's manual so I'll have to call Nick at ArmaLite Monday morning.  Tylenol was included as specified but they owe me a pair of ear plugs.

I roughed out the plans for two pieces that will adapt the AR-50 to snap on to the gun mount on my MG-42 tripod.  Since the T-slot goes the whole length of the stock and the buttstock is easily removed, the adapter will be simpler than I was thinking previously.

The rifle must have been sitting on the shelf of the store for quite a while.  There's considerable wear on the bolt stop.  I don't like the fact that you have to use a hex key to take it down, but this is not a combat weapon.

Scope, mount, and ammo should all arrive next week.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:02:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
He's probably getting his hernia repaired after lifting it...j/k....well we're waiting...

Another X-ring shot!  My lower back is killing me this morning and the whole house reeks of Hoppes No. 9.  Need aspirin, coffee, and some exercise.  I want to walk to the zoo and look at all the big cats.

Signing off for a while.  Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:27:57 AM EDT
[#16]
CK
Check out that website that I post for accessories, Darin lives in Oceanside. He makes a thumbscrew to replace the factory bolt stop. Click on the images to get a better look, his email is at the bottom of the page.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't forget about the white paper I sent you.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Don't forget about the white paper I sent you.

Roger that.  I just dug it up and re-read it.

I sleep better at night knowing there's a milling machine in the garage.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top