Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2003 11:23:29 PM EDT
I know the high end, Barrets and customs. If I buy a .50, and I may as well face it I know I will try at some point, hopefully next spring, it will likely be either a Ferret or Serbu, maybe an LAR.

But just to keep the cheap S.O.B. side of my mind at rest, what is the cheapest .50 BMG you can get, and feel safe pulling the trigger behind?

Not looking much for accuracy, or even convenience. I hear the legends of AR uppers that you need to break open the upper to reload, but have never seen an add for one. I just want to make sure I'll come back in one solid piece.

Heck if there is a break open single shot out there (I'm starting to really enjoy my father in laws NEF in .243 enough to get the bull barrel .308) that's seriously cheaper than the Serbu or ferret, why not?

Do I believe I'll find a BMG gun for less than $1,500? No. But until a year ago I thought I'd never find a .308 rifle for less than $300.00 new.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:48:14 AM EDT
I'm not vouching for the safety, quality, or reliability, but the Hesse is about the cheapest comercially made 50BMG you can find. There have been a couple guys around here who have bought them and as far as I know they are still alive. There is one setting near Owensboro, KY for about $1100 even as we speak.

There are some converted British Enfields floating around the world that usually go for about $800, but you don't run across them often.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:06:35 AM EDT
Well for gosh sakes, I hate living in Illinois. I saw one of these at a gun show and I thought it was a custom model. They were selling the normal one, I think normal stock for $1,950, (I think they were taking $100 as a show special) the bipod model for 2,350.

Heck I liked the way this gun felt. Looks like I just have to order this thing from a gun shop that isn't going to rip me off and I'll have a gun I really wanted.

The Hesse website said they don't take all surplus ammo, this might be a detractor. Well I can do a search on the board and check.

Heck I was going to get the S&W .500, this is only a couple hundred more, and the ammo may actaully be cheaper for the BMG. Wow, this may be purchase for this year. Glad I asked.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:07:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/6/2003 12:09:15 PM EDT by choir-boy]
Hmmm... did some general searching for Hesse, and hear nothing but bad things. They are talking about FAL's and AR-15. But if Hesse can't handle these smaller guns, do I want to risk my head on the hope that the quality is better in the BMG?

Darn I liked the way that gun looked. Anyone own a .50 bmg Hesse and can attest to them? Maybe I'll give them a harder look if I get lots of safe responses.

I'm cheap, but I few hundred aint worth my life. Now for a Mah-two-quad and a lifetime supply of ammo, maybe : )

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:13:44 PM EDT
... Oh sheese, I have a Hesse .50BMG and have posted about it's reliability, accuracy and aesthetics a half a dozen times.

... All I'm going to bother with on this thread is that every shoot I take it to everyone wants to shoot it.
I probably put 100 rounds through her each meet.

... Admittedly, the stock was rough so I had AZEXARMS refinish the barrel and wood and she's really pretty now.

... The machining Hesse did (or had done) was superb.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:32:30 PM EDT
did you bed and free float? what kind of groups can you get? may be looking for another 50, the price is cheap. Oh, and how much do they weigh? Thanks
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:08:32 PM EDT
Winston Wolf

That's encouraging. Did more specific searches on the BMG and nobody's been blown up : ) Though I suppose if they were they really couldn't respond : )

If you don't mind I'd like to pick your brain. I read on the Hesse sight it doesn't take mil surplus. Have you used any mil surplus and have you found any ammo that does, or doesn't work?

I've read about the recoil on other BMG's in the gun rags. Most saying things along the lines of a "About a 12 guage with full mag slugs." How's the Hesse?

Have you ever tried to fire the thing without a rest? Is it even possible, or would the recoil knock you over (assuming you could pick one up.)

Is it a "Light" BMG?

Skidly coverd a few other questions.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:07:14 AM EDT
... My Hesse seems to eat milsurp just fine but I've settled in on the Bosnian stuff aound these days because it does seem to be a bit more accurate. It's not the tack driver my finely tuned Model 700 is but I have been able to hold 1 MOA groups regularly.

... Doesn't kick too bad, here's a pic of me shooting it off hand. I put a Harris bi-pod on it but it's too wimpy. I have a heavy duty bi-pod I need to mount on it. The glass is a Pentax Lightseeker.

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:52:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/8/2003 8:54:47 PM EDT by choir-boy]
Winston_Wolf,

Thanks for the pic. Very cool. Hmmm, I got to check around. I wonder if anyone would like to sell a used one. I bet that would be darn cheap. (Relatively)

The mil surp is good news, and I really do like the look of the Hesse. Fire from the shoulder is something I will have to try at least once.

Sounds like the Hesse has all I really need. Accuracy isn't a big deal. 1 MOA is plenty. Like I said, my longest range round here is 100 yards. A real accurate gun is not going to show its true colors under these circumstances anyway.

Ooo. Just thought of one thing. Its a thumbhole design, is that hole carved out so a southpaw would have big problem sticking their hand in there?

choir-boy out.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:02:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/10/2003 1:03:55 PM EDT by B4Ctom1]
winston wolf I like the yugo in my hesse as well, I had mine done by Joeken and they totally customized mine with stainless bedding, parkerizing, hand made and finished stock, and re-enforced bipodstud in the stock. I love it I am just out of ammo right now and want to make a mixed pallet purchase of 223, 308, 7.62 and 50 cal yugo to get to shoot all my shite for this summer.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:35:34 AM EDT
it might be in your best interest to check out biggerhammer.net and ask some questions in their .50 fourm. I would also look at getting a serbu bfg-50 serbu.com after some research i found this to fit my needs.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:49:17 AM EDT
... Nice looking set-up B4Ctom1! Admittedly, the Hesse probably gets looked down upon by FCSA / Fifty Caliber Shooters Association guys. However, this was a "cheapo" thread.

... If I were to enter the competition aspect of the game I'd probably opt for the AR50; but I have no plans to.

... One other feature I like about the Hesse is its integral, angled Picatinny rail. It takes the headaches out of that part of your project. Just need rings, glass and ammo to start shooting!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:54:26 AM EDT
yeah my rail does seem to have some angle do you know for a fact that it does? I couldnt get any confirmation. yeah go to bigger hammer and discuss the Hesse with them LOL berfore you know it you might be buying a $9000 gun, that aint all bad either but hell I hardly shoot mine and hardly at any great distances yet so what do I car, its safe, fun and shoots, thats what I wanted. Better than trying to build my own with a 50 barrel (which I have considered)
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:50:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/11/2003 10:16:30 PM EDT by choir-boy]
I'm with you guys. I take pride in my double action revolvers. I'll gladly spend the extra bucks for a good gun, and baby them with special holsters, and sights and custom work.

If I took heavy pride in all the guns I collect, I'd only have probably 1/2 the collection. If I want relative precision I have a bunch of revo's and one .308 (I'm building) that will keep me happy.

As far as the Serbu, it really doesn't do it for me for some reason?!? It really should though. From the initial post it was one of my picks.

I like black guns. Just about all my long arms are. I like skeleton-ish guns. But for some reason I just picture the BMG I will hopefully get as a single shot with a wood stock on it.

I fear being laughed at over at Bighammer. It would be kindly I know, but "a cheap BMG" would be frowned upon, if not called out as being dangerous. I thought I'd be laughed at posting here but figured the intensity would be less.

Thanks for not laughing, or poking fun. I am serious about owning a BMG, just can't bring myself to invest the serious money for an extra good gun, at a range where I wouldn't even notice the extra "goodness."

I just want a real big boom stick.

Can a southpaw fire the Hesse stock?

choir-boy out
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Top Top