Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 12:56:55 PM EDT
Tomorrow I am going to tell my gunstore to order me a Model 99. What is a "good" or "decent" price to pay NIB from Barrett? Dealer told me around 3k.

Another question. Where is the best place to get ammo? Sportsman's Guide has a 60rd battlepack for I think 110 bucks. I'm gonna go ahead and store about 250rounds of various kinds of .50. What are all the Legal types that one can own?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:28:41 PM EDT
Depending on what your dealer quotes you, 3K or just under is the going price. This also depends on if it's a M99 or M99-1, the 99-1 being more. Try looking at Guns America to see what they are selling for there. Look under Barrett or fifty caliber rifles.

110 bucks for 60rds of what? If it's surplus your getting ripped off. Ask them what the headstamp is, if it's IK 88,97 or 98 it's Yugo and mildly corrosive. Ammoman should have Talon back in stock soon, check there. You can also check with Aim Surplus, The Ammunition Store, Watson's Weapons and Pat's Reloading.

Check to see what ammo types are legal in your area, fun stuff API, APIT, Bluetip, Spotter Tracer. While your at it, join the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association, the magazine (VHP) alone is worth the dues.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:10:10 PM EDT
Check out Tim Tucker over at Biggerhammer for some great ammo. He builds some fantastic stuff at very reasonable prices. He makes about all favors too. I personally LOVE Blue Tips and Spotter-Tracer and you will too. I don't have Tim's email and he doesn't have a website. I believe summit ammo in Alabama is selling API for $1.25 a pop.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:36:13 PM EDT
The ammo is 100 bucks for 60 rounds. Muzzle Velocity is 2,910 F.P.S.; Muzzle Energy is 13,048 ft.-lbs.; Gas Pressure is 54,969 psi. Late 1990s Bosnian manufacture.

How good is Igman? Ammo store has 60 rounds for 75 bucks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:37:43 PM EDT
Get that stuff from Summit ammo. send an IM to BALMING on this board as he is their employee and can give you prices and an point of contact to order it. He is in AL so i dont think shipping will be too bad for you.

I would avoid the talon as it is sized incorrectly. The shoulders are pushed too far back and because of this it wouldnt chamber properly. I had to load each round onto the bolt and feed ot forward so that the extractor could grab the shell casing and let the firing pin strike it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:04:39 PM EDT
There's nothing wrong with (Ingman) Yugo, you have to remember that it was made for an M2. It's a little on the warm side and will shoot about 2-3 MOA, mildly corrosive so clean accordingly. If it says Bosnian, it's really their way of saying Yugo.

Talon ammo is okay, they had some quality control issues but now say they have more checks and balances to see that bad ammo doesn't get out. Most people have never had a problem with it and recomend it.

Eric (Ammoman) always said that he would take back any ammo that people had trouble with, he's a stand up guy. It's just another brand of ammo that he sells but some people saw fit to give him $hit about it, kinda like shooting the messenger.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:24:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 50_Shooter:
There's nothing wrong with (Ingman) Yugo, you have to remember that it was made for an M2. It's a little on the warm side and will shoot about 2-3 MOA, mildly corrosive so clean accordingly. If it says Bosnian, it's really their way of saying Yugo.

Talon ammo is okay, they had some quality control issues but now say they have more checks and balances to see that bad ammo doesn't get out. Most people have never had a problem with it and recomend it.

Eric (Ammoman) always said that he would take back any ammo that people had trouble with, he's a stand up guy. It's just another brand of ammo that he sells but some people saw fit to give him $hit about it, kinda like shooting the messenger.

Why shoot crap ammo thats corrosive through a rifle that will cost $4k or more once optics are put on it
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:21:06 PM EDT
Probably because after spending 4K on a .50 they don't have any money left, hee hee.

I prefer to reload, I still use M33 ball and AP for plinking and if I feel like getting serious, I use some AMAX.

You just have to remember that when you buy surplus ammo, you get what you pay for, CHEAP ammo. Don't be pissed if you can't hit anything with it and if you do, shoot some more.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:24:55 AM EDT
Re the original Q on the M99, SteyrAug was kind enough to let me in on the Barrett Group Buy, waaaay late. Maybe it will be worth your while to shoot him an email. $2880 shipped can't be beat!!!

And yeah, ill be looking out for cheap ammo becasue i'll be broke...

DD
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:39:13 PM EDT
Before you put your money down, give Ed at Urban Armory a call. He will set you up. He will search until he finds one that has the correct price. He found a NIB 82A1 with Swarovski glass for $6675 delivered. It had TWO mags, cleaning kit and the airtight case that they come in. The mags alone will cost $100-120 each, depending where you get them.

I second Tim Tucker, I just bought 150 rounds for $225. They look great, the do have marks on the projos from being pulled. The most fun rounds are the APIs. They make some fireworks when they hit hard targets.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Top Top