Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2003 5:39:44 PM EDT
Thanks to "50_Shooter" I got a sweet deal on a used, "like new" Ferret-50 Upper with a  29" barrel. This is my first 50 BMG (I'm still on MMag's purchase list too - for 4 months or so down the road) so I'm a "newbie", having never shot a .50 BMG before.

I've already put together the DPMS single-shot lower receiver unit with an Ace ARFX stock unit, a Tasco SS-20 scope and Badger Max 50 rings. I also bought an Otis Mil-Spec 50 BMG cleaning kit and about 150 rounds of surplus ammo, Brazilian or maybe Argentine, I think.

Any suggestions or cautions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks again 50_Shooter

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok I guess thats what I get for teazing you about the other upper,you go out and buy the better one.HAHAHA on me this time.Thanks 50_shooter for holding out on me!No really,I'm a newbie in .50's also and currently living Southern Ca also.Its good to know that we have some buddies out here.Congrats on your upper!I'm JEALOUS!!!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#2]
oh hell, don't be jealous, 'cuz you got a fine weapon at about $500 less than I spent. BTW - it'll probably be for sale when (and if) my Mag-50 ever arrives - LOLOLOL

what part of Kali are you in - I'm in Oxnard, Ventura County...

see 'ya...
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Yaa let me know when your ready to sell it,I would be intrested in it.I'm waaaaaay over here in Rancho Cucamonga,San Bernardino county.Good luck to you also!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations on moving up to the big boy's club. you're gonna love it.

Don't:
Forget your hearing protection (those suckers are LOUD).

Hurt your face smiling so much after letting those rounds fly.

Do:
Buy a can or two of the cool ammo. Blue Tips, Silver Tips, and Yellow/Red tips are the best.

The ammo you got is probably Yugoslovian, but I may be wrong. The head stamp should be IK 88 or some other date if it is Yugo. The can is in spanish and was made for Venisuela. The popular belief is that the Yugo ammo is "mildly" corrosive so a good cleaning is in order. I've shot plenty of it and its pretty good plinking ammo, but a little on the hot side. A bit more recoil and a little harder extracting than Talon, WVO, or HSM stuff I've shot.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, I wasn't holdin' out. I didn't even know anyone was looking for an upper, just happened to see it posted over there.

Angeles isn't that far from either of you, I'm in Lancaster and it's about a 45 min. drive for me (@90MPH). If you guys want to come out on the 18th, we'll be there.

The Tasco might hold up, I've seen one die on a BFG and heard numerous stories of others biting the dust. Likewise I have heard of others having good luck with there's, guess it depends on the day of the week it was made.

The Otis kit and boresnakes are okay but I prefer a regular cleaning rod to get the job done. Get some copper solvent, alot of patches and a good jag.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#6]
DON'T GET TO CLOSE TO THE SCOPE!

I am the voice of experience on this as my first 2 shots from my Ferret caused me to get popped pretty good.

Flip the upper over and remove the screws holding the bipod on. Apply Loctite 242 threadlocker to the screws and re-mount the bipod. I was out of state when mine came loose on me and I didn't have the wrench with me to re-tighten them. The loctite will help. Keep the needed wrench handy just in case.

I ordered a supplemental hammer spring from Watsons Weapons to aid in setting off hard primers, testing will take place in about a week.

Never miss an opportunity to allow a newbie to fire their first .50. Lets face it, not everyone will own one and it will make ya feel good to see the grin on a newbies face after shooting a .50.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:53:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Great advice guys - Thanks!

realwar - I'll definately let ya' know. We own a rental house in Hesperia - up the hill from you if I'm not mistaken.

50_Shooter - I went to their website and didn't see anything about a fifty shoot. I'd like to attend tho. What does the copper solvent do? Where and what should I buy?

Jeep29 - The box was marked in Spanish and was a light olive-green coloer, lighter than our military uses. Is this Yugo? The headstamp reads "IK 88"...

Lumpy223 - OUCH! Thanks for the headsup on recoil and for the PM duties. I'll definately let people try it out if interested!

Thanks all for welcoming me to the "Big Boys Club"...

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:46:10 AM EDT
[#8]
The .50 shoot is ours, we get together there on the 3rd Sunday of every month. There's a gun store called ARM USA that puts on a .50 shoot once or twice a year, the owner comes out to our shoots from time to time.

IK 88 is Yugo, Keith Pagel from FCSA (Fifty Caliber Shooters Assoc.) had it tested and it came back as slightly corrosive. The other Yugo IK 98 that's out there is the same way. Don't worry about it, just clean it with hot soapy water when you get home.

You need the copper solvent to get rid of the copper build up in the barrel. There's alot out there with the most common being Barnes CR-10, Sweets 762, Boretech...

I agree with Lumpy, the recoil can be compared to a 12ga with magnum loads. Two guys that come out have Ferrets, one of them didn't have a good grip on his and POW! The other guy seemed to do good with his, he put about 8 shots into a 2" group at 100 yards first time out with it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok then, thanks for all the info...hope to cya on the 18th - I'll be the one with the big smile on my face!!!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Ferret50 things to try
If you have the stock with the cavity for a cleaning kit, fill it with lead shot. i put a Pachmyer Rem mod 700 recoil pad on (velcroed for access to trap door)then use a slip on shooters Friend that you can get fron Cabela's for $17, this gives you more surface area to contact shoulder ( 2.25 x 5.5")and about a 1.5" of recoil padding. Ferrets kick a little more than most 50's, and this makes it a real pleasure to shoot. Also make sure you have the heavy hammer, and if you get any misfire problems Dave at Spider Firearms will change your firing pin without charge. Shoot Safe & have fun!
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top