Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve had a US Optics SR-8s on my 17 for about 5 years now. It clocks in at 24 ozs before a mount, so it’s a little beefier than an Elcan (at 23oz with a mount). I love the optical clarity and it’s fairly quick at 1x and easy to use at 8x. I’m seriously considering offloading it for a Razor 1-10 though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Several have already been mentioned....why would I need to repeat what was already stated? LPVO is the name of the game and many excellent reticle can be had that are better......and cheaper.
View Quote

I want to know what you think is better, i dont care what everyone else has mentioned.  

Cost is subjective,  show me a LPVO that can be used under NODs effectively like the elcan? As durable as an elcan, as compact as an elcan and weights less than an elcan............go ahead, I will wait.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Cost is subjective,  show me a LPVO that can be used under NODs effectively like the elcan?
View Quote

I’ll admit I don’t have a better solution or optic in mind, I don’t have a scar anymore either. So I’m not much help there. Wish I had a better answer.

I can confirm it works great under nods if that’s something you are looking for.

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The ARMS II levers are adjustable for any rail variation or fit.
Not too tight or too lose.

If your standard levers fit correctly then they are not needed.
I had my Elcan on another platform and the adjustable levers allowed me to tweak the fit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I recently got a 1.5x-6x Specter for my 17. Initial impressions are great, haven't shot with it yet. Question I have for those who have one-- I noticed that when the throw lever is in the 1.5x position, without pushing down on it to switch magnification, you can wiggle it back and forth between where it rests normally and the lockout tab, about 1mm (see picture). This results in the POA changing a bit inside of the eyebox. Is this normal? Curious if the lever will move around on its own under recoil. It's a non issue at 6x. Little bit of wiggle, but nothing is moving inside of the optic.

Also, the reticle illumination is pretty dim compared to the red dot illumination. 100% reticle illumination is about the same brightness of 50% red dot illumination. Good to go?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Sight in / zero @ 6X and don't worry about it.

You will not likely be using 1X for long range ( or maybe you do) and sighting in and firing @ 6X there is no shift.
Dropping down to 1X is for CQB use and the shift is minimal and well withing the red dot MOA size.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/elcan-specterdr-1x-4x-shift-test.41250/
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sight in / zero @ 6X and don't worry about it.

You will not likely be using 1X for long range ( or maybe you do) and sighting in and firing @ 6X there is no shift.
Dropping down to 1X is for CQB use and the shift is minimal and well withing the red dot MOA size.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/elcan-specterdr-1x-4x-shift-test.41250/
View Quote

Thanks for the info. I had e-mailed Armament earlier this weekend, not expecting a reply back for a while, and to my surprise I actually got a phone call from a super helpful rep from there. We talked for about 15 minutes. He said the small amount of play is by design, and it was completely normal. It allows for the small parts to move around and not be jarred against each other under recoil. Also answered a bunch of other questions I had with undivided attention. Apparently the most common questions they get are about the play in the lever, and the "wear" from the new optics in the box. Mine had wear marks where it was mounted, and a little scratch on top, but I had previously read about this, and that it is part of their rigorous testing they do on each optic to ensure they are combat ready. Good enough for an armchair commando like myself who hits the bench at the range occasionally.

Never had a customer service rep go out of their way and respond to a general inquiry with a phone call, but I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of support received. In fact, I just bought a 1-4x SpecterDR for my 16 as a result.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Elcan makes nice stuff and its tough as nails.
I often wonder people that claim they have issues if they have a real Elcan or a knock off.

LOTS of fakes and airsoft crap.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone got leads on where to get decent prices on Elcan optics?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Anyone got leads on where to get decent prices on Elcan optics?
View Quote

Both of mine were from....*shudder*... Optics Planet. With the 10% off codes you can find, I couldn't find a better price anywhere else. On top of that, with the high dollar purchases you net a pretty good amount of their internal rewards dollars. $1952 before tax for my 1.5-6x (could have gotten the black 1.5-6x for $1800, but I wanted a 7th shade of FDE on my 17 ), and another 40-something in rewards dollars that you can use on whatever you want. $1575 for my 1-4x. Their prices change often (either up or down), so you have to time it right.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Elcan makes nice stuff and its tough as nails.
I often wonder people that claim they have issues if they have a real Elcan or a knock off.

LOTS of fakes and airsoft crap.
View Quote

I will say there are a LOT of fakes. They can be discerned, but while I’m a lot better than most, it’s still pretty tough sometimes. I have a much better eye for Trijicons. I’d agree that it’s likely that a lot of the issues stem from counterfeits.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Both of mine were from....*shudder*... Optics Planet. With the 10% off codes you can find, I couldn't find a better price anywhere else. On top of that, with the high dollar purchases you net a pretty good amount of their internal rewards dollars. $1952 before tax for my 1.5-6x (could have gotten the black 1.5-6x for $1800, but I wanted a 7th shade of FDE on my 17 ), and another 40-something in rewards dollars that you can use on whatever you want. $1575 for my 1-4x. Their prices change often (either up or down), so you have to time it right.
View Quote

I've gotten pretty lucky there when I stumble across good coupon codes.  I'll keep an eye out, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I want to know what you think is better, i dont care what everyone else has mentioned.  

Cost is subjective,  show me a LPVO that can be used under NODs effectively like the elcan? As durable as an elcan, as compact as an elcan and weights less than an elcan............go ahead, I will wait.
View Quote
Oh, look, someone trying to justify their purchase. How cute. I would be dropping coin on either Vortex or Trijicon. If I went the Vortex route, I would be getting a Razor HD Gen III in 10x. If I went the Trijicon route, I'd be looking at the VCOG in 8x. Compact and weight are just as subjective as cost......go figure.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Oh, look, someone trying to justify their purchase. How cute. I would be dropping coin on either Vortex or Trijicon. If I went the Vortex route, I would be getting a Razor HD Gen III in 10x. If I went the Trijicon route, I'd be looking at the VCOG in 8x. Compact and weight are just as subjective as cost......go figure.
View Quote

Iam glad you came back to the conversation, I was getting worried you were having a hard time trying to find answer on google.  Either way nothing you posted was of any value to the conversation.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I am looking at upgrading the optic setup for my 16 and 17. Have my tax stamps and need to get my barrels cut down to length. Right now I am running an Aimpoint Comp M4S on my 16 and a PA 3x ACSS Prism on my 17. The 17 is the priority for upgrading, but wouldn't mind putting the Aimpoint on another rifle and possibly getting something new for the 16.

From my research it seems three of the better options based on what people recommend for the SCAR would be:

- a quality LPVO (something like 1-6x or 1-8x)
- an EOTech + G33 magnifier
- Elcan SpectreDR

I understand the advantage the LPVO offers with the higher magnification (6x/8x) that I would get over a SpectreDR or a G33 magnifier. Something like a Vortex Razor II 1-6x or the new 1-10x won't save me much weight over the Elcan or EOTech + G33. They are all close enough that it seems like a wash.

I run EOTechs on several other guns and I like them. But for the SCAR I would an optic with some sort of BDC. One negative with the EOTech for the SCAR17, is that none of the EOTech EXPS3-4 reticles work for 7.62x51, just 5.56. So that kind of takes it off the list for the 17 at least. Would work for the 16.

Then the SpectreDR which has come down quite a lot recently and is more attractive now for around $1500-1600 range. Honestly I probably shoot my 16 out to 350-400 yards max. The 17 out to 600-650 yards max, but more often much closer.. So while a 1-8x or 1-10x might be nice to have, the magnification is just a bit of an overkill for the distances I typically shoot at.

So how does the SpectreDR stack up against other optic options available today? I know it isn't perfect, but it seems like a very good option. Unless there is something else I should consider for a 13" SCAR 17 or a 10" SCAR 16?
View Quote

I love my Kahles 1-6x.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:38:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Iam glad you came back to the conversation, I was getting worried you were having a hard time trying to find answer on google.  Either way nothing you posted was of any value to the conversation.  Thanks
View Quote
Pretty sure you didn't start this thread and the OP can make a decision accordingly. Go sit in the corner already.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:40:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Blackwind:
Pretty sure you didn't start this thread and the OP can make a decision accordingly. Go sit in the corner already.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blackwind:
Originally Posted By -KentuckyWindage-:

Iam glad you came back to the conversation, I was getting worried you were having a hard time trying to find answer on google.  Either way nothing you posted was of any value to the conversation.  Thanks 
Pretty sure you didn't start this thread and the OP can make a decision accordingly. Go sit in the corner already.

Did. While having a 1-8x or 1-10x would be nice for a DMR/SASS system, I am not running my 17 as a DMR/SASS. I am running it as a battle rifle and thereby appreciate the more compact size of the Elcan and the other benefits it offers.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a soft spot for LPVO’s, particularly the Vortex Razor. I have my eyes peeled for some good deals on the new 1-10 they released.
I live in a very rural area, and so most shooting I do is long range. I have targets out to 1200 yards behind the house, so in the evenings I just walk out on the back porch and set up on my gun bench. For this reason i like higher power variable optics.
Having said that, there is something about an Elcan on a Scar that just looks right.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I too have a soft spot for LPVOs, and ran one on my 17. However, if I were to do it over again would probably go with an Elcan.

Maybe next go round...
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry this statement forced me to bring this thread back. “Compact” and “weight” are not “subjective” lol. Something either weighs less or more, is either longer or shorter. That makes them what’s known as “objective.”

To be fair to you, the other guy saying “cost” is subjective is also wrong. Cost is objective. “Expensive” on the other hand is subjective.

You, the other guy, and the whole world are all welcome.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:27:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#23]
If I were to build a SCAR17...I'd use either the Vortex 1-10 MRAD or the NF NX8 1-8...in some ARC rings...

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#24]
The Elcan looks right on the SCAR but i don’t think I’d buy it over the Razor 1-10x now a days.  FFP, MRAD, grid reticle, better 1x (vs the 1.5-6x Elcan) would be the deciding factors for me.  I had a 1-4x Elcan years ago, great glass, and the 1-4x lever is a good feature for the scope, at that magnification range all the in-between ranges aren’t useful and the lever is quick and easy to use.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#25]
It was a tough decision, but I skipped the Elcan and went with a Trijicon VCOG 1-8.  It has about 4 inches of eye relief and when you are at 1x it feels as much like a red dot as a LPVO can.  So far I'm really liking it, and I think it was the right choice for me.  The mount is fixed to the optic like the Elcan, it feels bomb proof, is FFP and I got the MRAD reticle.  It uses a standard AA battery for illumination, but the battery life is around 500 hours or so...not bad over all, but it's no Aimpoint either in that regard.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#26]
VCOG is a solid choice...

Elcans to me are getting surpassed ... just like the ACOG ... by the LPVOs that are out there now

If you are shooting with NVDs...a DBAL is much better choice on engaging targets....looking through an optic with NODs is cumbersome....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top