BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 38
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 12:31:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MCDXXV:

I don't think I've honestly seen two that look the same. Between the guys I shoot with regularly there are 5 17s and 4 16s and they all look different.
View Quote
Yeah I know, but most of the mil ones that I see in pics have a much flatter FDE finish for the upper.  Sure there are color differences between the lower, the upper, the stock, and the accessories but it’s the gold/bronze color of this upper (and the fact that I’m sure the sun would glint off it heavily in the desert) that makes me question if it would be a good clone base.

Now if everyone thinks that it’ll be fine, cool.  I’ll file the paperwork shortly.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 1:00:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tanodized] [#2]
Originally Posted By bolster:
Are you talking about the flare at the front and bottom of th mag well?  All 16’s have that as far as I have seen.
View Quote
Not quite all of them.

Link Posted: 10/23/2018 1:50:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I never noticed that, wow.  It’s subtle, but there’s definitely a difference.  And yeah, your gun is my inspiration 100%.

I presume the easiest way to deal with that problem is simply to try and find a second-hand scar lower without the bump, right?  Don’t people replace them for some reason?  Like to switch to metal or something?

I would think it might be easier to simply pick up another stripped lower for the gun and throw it on there, rather than selling the whole gun and starting over trying to find an early one like yours.  But then again, maybe when you combine it with the upper color, that makes more sense than anything else.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 2:02:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Are you talking about the flare at the front and bottom of th mag well?  All 16’s have that as far as I have seen.
View Quote
Mine doesn’t either

Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#5]
#nohumpgang
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 4:09:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I've heard the hump versions are worth +$1000 on the used market, versus the non-hump ones.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I've heard the hump versions are worth +$1000 on the used market, versus the non-hump ones.
View Quote
That explains why I got such a great deal on my 16.  My buddy bamboozled me!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By brodband8:

I wonder what streetp price/availability on the normal one is going to be?  Also not knowing how long I will need to wait to get one if I don't get this one has me wanting to order this kit lol
View Quote
Looks like there is, at the time of this post, one standard mk20 on gunbroker right now for ~$4500
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 9:15:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Izhevsk54r:
Looks like there is, at the time of this post, one standard mk20 on gunbroker right now for ~$4500
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Izhevsk54r:

I wonder what streetp price/availability on the normal one is going to be?  Also not knowing how long I will need to wait to get one if I don't get this one has me wanting to order this kit lol
My prediction is $3999 at almost every store in town in a week or so..
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kalmar:
Not quite all of them.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1932/43693393320_80921f3f30_o.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1968/31638023208_42be477598_o.jpg
Neither does mine, must be a newer gun thing.

Link Posted: 10/31/2018 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote
What??
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 7:53:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By david05111:
What??
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By david05111:
What??
He’s joking. Like the “FDE models are more accurate then black” long running joke.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Midwest Gun Works has 2 FN Three Prong Flash Hiders listed on their website, one listed as "FN SCAR 17 3 Prong European Flash Hider" for $59 and one listed as "FN SCAR 17 3-Prong Flash Hider w/ Suppressor Mount" for $99.

What is the difference between these models? And is either more clone correct for a MK17?

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/FNSCAR17EU

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/3181380110
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:42:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Tengo1:

He’s joking. Like the “FDE models are more accurate then black” long running joke.
View Quote
Haha alright, thanks
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:44:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thatguywiththeak] [#15]
Originally Posted By TacticalDentite:
Midwest Gun Works has 2 FN Three Prong Flash Hiders listed on their website, one listed as "FN SCAR 17 3 Prong European Flash Hider" for $59 and one listed as "FN SCAR 17 3-Prong Flash Hider w/ Suppressor Mount" for $99.

What is the difference between these models? And is either more clone correct for a MK17?

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/FNSCAR17EU

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/3181380110
View Quote
Early Mk17 is the AAC 18 tooth 7.62 FH. The SCAR-H SD suppressors designed to fit them had issues (long story) and SOCOM desired to replace them with something better which led to

Mid-Current MK17 ECP (engineering change proposal) 3 prong flash suppressor designed to fit the QD 701  (20S comes with this FH)

Current-Future MK17 will be Surefire RC2 compatible muzzle devices as the desire for more efficient and lighter cans has switched focus to Surefire 7.62 cans

The Euro SCAR-H use a shorter 3 prong FH that's designed to work with FNH's in house cans as well as the B&T Rotex style cans.

You also have the original MK20 SSR FH which is the Surefire legacy can mount. Also a number of other FH of various sorts were experimented with early in the development of the platform, but you are unlikely to see these let alone in the wild.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By thatguywiththeak:

Early Mk17 is the AAC 18 tooth 7.62 FH. The SCAR-H SD suppressors designed to fit them had issues (long story) and SOCOM desired to replace them with something better which led to

Mid-Current MK17 ECP (engineering change proposal) 3 prong flash suppressor designed to fit the QD 701  (20S comes with this FH)

Current-Future MK17 will be Surefire RC2 compatible muzzle devices as the desire for more efficient and lighter cans has switched focus to Surefire 7.62 cans

The Euro SCAR-H use a shorter 3 prong FH that's designed to work with FNH's in house cans as well as the B&T Rotex style cans.

You also have the original MK20 SSR FH which is the Surefire legacy can mount. Also a number of other FH of various sorts were experimented with early in the development of the platform, but you are unlikely to see these let alone in the wild, sorry I won't be posting pics.

Hope this helps.
View Quote
If I could just get a picture of the MK17 with a FDE RC2 on it I would be so happy lol.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#17]

You also have the original MK20 SSR FH which is the Surefire legacy can mount. Also a number of other FH of various sorts were experimented with early in the development of the platform, but you are unlikely to see these let alone in the wild.
View Quote
Is the current/future MK20 also following the Surefire path?  It would seem logical, given the inventory of Surefire cans.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 2:55:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MCDXXV] [#18]
Originally Posted By eMc9001:

If I could just get a picture of the MK17 with a FDE RC2 on it I would be so happy lol.
View Quote
You and me both.

ETA: Have you seen the going rate for a 7.62 SF4P?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#19]

You and me both.

ETA: Have you seen the going rate for a 7.62 SF4P?
View Quote
Naw how bad is it? I'm having serious issues debating on whether I want to buy a 20 or build a MK13 Mod 7 and I know the Mod 7 need's one of those lol.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Naw how bad is it? I'm having serious issues debating on whether I want to buy a 20 or build a MK13 Mod 7 and I know the Mod 7 need's one of those lol.
View Quote
I've seen one sell for $1000 and @MNRideshonda has one listed on IG right now for $1100.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#21]

I've seen one sell for $1000 and @MNRideshonda has one listed on IG right now for $1100.
View Quote
Good lord. Good thing the RC cover's up the muzzle device.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Hope this helps.
View Quote
Gotcha. I've got a 51T MITER on my 17 now but i want to swap to something newer/lighter.

So there is the Belgium flash hider that is squatty, the Euro that looks like the ECP (different wrench flats it looks like) and the ECP which would be the $99 one on MGW?

Surefire Warcomp might be the way to go.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:08:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MCDXXV] [#25]
View Quote
CD, any chance you can verify that T1/T2 offset mount?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:23:56 PM EDT
[#26]

CD, any chance you can verify that T1/T2 offset mount?
View Quote
I'll check next time I visit that detachment.

CD
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

I'll check next time I visit that detachment.

CD
View Quote
CD,

Is the barrel holding armourer's block set different for the MK20?  I would assume so since the barrel is much thicker.  Do you know if they use any retaining compounds for the flash hider?  It seems to be on there (on a civi 20S) pretty damn tight...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By interfan:

CD,

Is the barrel holding armourer's block set different for the MK20?  I would assume so since the barrel is much thicker.  Do you know if they use any retaining compounds for the flash hider?  It seems to be on there (on a civi 20S) pretty damn tight...

Thanks!
View Quote
Count me in as interested for how CD clamps SCAR barrels down for work on muzzle devices. Whatever it is, I need one!
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#29]

CD,

Thanks!
View Quote
A buddy of mine just swapped his ECP off his 20S and he said it was a huge pain in the ass. He ended up using heat and a breaker bar
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#30]
For the SCAR barrels, these work: Tangodown SCAR Armorer Block Set  The MK20/20S has a very different barrel.  Much thicker profile and a slightly different gas block mounting arrangement versus the standard SCAR.  I haven't tried to take off the bottom rail to see if the SCAR blocks work or not.  From just looking at them, it appears that there's a difference in the gas block where it would fit in the barrel block.  Maybe clamping the barrel using just barrel vice blocks would work?  The barrel extension has two flat surfaces where the three rear mounting screws go, and I would assume that the torque on that is much greater than whatever FN does for the flash hider.  For my own question, I want to swap the flash hider for a Surefire muzzle device so I can use my can, and a preliminary try with a wrench finds that it is very, very, tight.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:06:37 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote
I'll see what I can do, but I dont think I have any 7.62 RC2 cans at the office. I think all of mine are out "in the world" at the moment.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:10:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Is the current/future MK20 also following the Surefire path?  It would seem logical, given the inventory of Surefire cans.
View Quote
The focus for the platform very generally seems to be Surefire, and that is driven by several factors not the least of which the fact they make great cans that work well with SCAR, SOCOM has a preference for them because they check many of the boxes (size, weight, durability), and they working relationship between companies is excellent. Without being super cryptic, I suspect that you will see a lot more Surefire stuff used on the platform as a whole to include 20.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:15:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TacticalDentite:
Gotcha. I've got a 51T MITER on my 17 now but i want to swap to something newer/lighter.

So there is the Belgium flash hider that is squatty, the Euro that looks like the ECP (different wrench flats it looks like) and the ECP which would be the $99 one on MGW?

Surefire Warcomp might be the way to go.
View Quote
If I have time this week I'll try to take pics of all of the above next to each other as the pics in the links you sent look like they are using the ECP FH as a stock photo. But yeah that's the basic gist of it. If you want to be "correct" for a given time period or config then I'd use one of them. If I'm building a gun for pure utility or perhaps even musing on what a mod 1 might look like? Well the surefire would be a safe direction to head.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote
Interesting seeing a standard peq15 on that.  How often do you have to replace them on mk17s?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:46:49 PM EDT
[#35]

If I have time this week I'll try to take pics of all of the above next to each other as the pics in the links you sent look like they are using the ECP FH as a stock photo. But yeah that's the basic gist of it. If you want to be "correct" for a given time period or config then I'd use one of them. If I'm building a gun for pure utility or perhaps even musing on what a mod 1 might look like? Well the surefire would be a safe direction to head.
View Quote
What Surefire muzzle device seems to be “In the wild” if you can say. I’m pretty much convinced to go buy a RC2. I assume fde is the appropriate color?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:36:43 PM EDT
[#36]
For the SCAR barrels, these work: Tangodown SCAR Armorer Block Set  The MK20/20S has a very different barrel.  Much thicker profile and a slightly different gas block mounting arrangement versus the standard SCAR.  I haven't tried to take off the bottom rail to see if the SCAR blocks work or not.  From just looking at them, it appears that there's a difference in the gas block where it would fit in the barrel block.  Maybe clamping the barrel using just barrel vice blocks would work?  The barrel extension has two flat surfaces where the three rear mounting screws go, and I would assume that the torque on that is much greater than whatever FN does for the flash hider.  For my own question, I want to swap the flash hider for a Surefire muzzle device so I can use my can, and a preliminary try with a wrench finds that it is very, very, tight.
View Quote
For removing troublesome muzzle devices I remove the barrel from the receiver and clamp it in a vice with two blocks of wood. The wood deforms and gives plenty of surface area contact on the barrel, and you can really crank down on it to get enough grip. The FN flash hider on my 13" barrel took over 70 foot lbs of torque to remove.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 5:34:45 AM EDT
[#37]

The focus for the platform very generally seems to be Surefire, and that is driven by several factors not the least of which the fact they make great cans that work well with SCAR, SOCOM has a preference for them because they check many of the boxes (size, weight, durability), and they working relationship between companies is excellent. Without being super cryptic, I suspect that you will see a lot more Surefire stuff used on the platform as a whole to include 20.
View Quote
Not sure what you're implying...the Surefire FA762SV is what's used on the Mk20.  Are you implying that there is another Surefire can in use or in planned use?
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 5:57:31 AM EDT
[#38]

Interesting seeing a standard peq15 on that.  How often do you have to replace them on mk17s?
View Quote
Remember guys are going to place whatever they have available on the guns to make them work for them.  As far as barreling or changing out the FH on a SCAR.  Never had to do neither work so far.  Have only replaced one bent charging handle in 4 yrs.  Course fewer guns being used compared to M4s.

CD
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 6:16:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thatguywiththeak] [#39]
Originally Posted By usnguns:

Not sure what you're implying...the Surefire FA762SV is what's used on the Mk20.  Are you implying that there is another Surefire can in use or in planned use?
View Quote
Surefire Socom  can for 556 is used as well for mk18 and other 5.56 applications. Surefire remain pretty popular with that crowd. From where I sit I'd say it's a safe bet you will see Surefire continuing to get contracts on future applications to include SCAR given the quality of their stuff and the popularity but I dont work at surefire. But reading between the lines it should be telling to see surefire muzzle devices on new configs of guns at shows recently, FN and other wise.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#40]

Surefire Socom  can for 556 is used as well for mk18 and other 5.56 applications. Surefire remain pretty popular with that crowd. From where I sit I'd say it's a safe bet you will see Surefire continuing to get contracts on future applications to include SCAR given the quality of their stuff and the popularity but I dont work at surefire. But reading between the lines it should be telling to see surefire muzzle devices on new configs of guns at shows recently, FN and other wise.
View Quote
If this is the case, hopefully we see a nice low back pressure variant designed specifically for the SCAR. Unlikely though.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:32:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#41]
More to inspect......
Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#42]

Remember guys are going to place whatever they have available on the guns to make them work for them.  As far as barreling or changing out the FH on a SCAR.  Never had to do neither work so far.  Have only replaced one bent charging handle in 4 yrs.  Course fewer guns being used compared to M4s.

CD
View Quote
Are we implying that PEQ15s won't last on SCARs?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:25:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Great_Balls_of_Fire:

Are we implying that PEQ15s won't last on SCARs?
View Quote
I didn't say or imply that.

CD
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#44]

I didn't say or imply that.

CD
View Quote
Understood - the original question from @brodband8 and your response struck my curiosity, that is all. Just trying to clear things up! As always, thank you for your input.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Great_Balls_of_Fire:

Understood - the original question from @brodband8 and your response struck my curiosity, that is all. Just trying to clear things up! As always, thank you for your input.
View Quote
I was just curious as the LA5d is supposidly the only scar h hardened peq.  It is navsea marked on the underside.  Was wondering from experience if CD saw scar h’s breaking all other regular peqs or not.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 2:12:14 AM EDT
[#46]
More to inspect......
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_5864_jpg-731030.JPG

CD
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#47]
More to inspect......
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_5864_jpg-731030.JPG

CD
View Quote
is that a fixed, non folding stock on the third one from the top??
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By LsuJon:
is that a fixed, non folding stock on the third one from the top??
View Quote
Yeap, first I've seen of the type.  Went to inspect the hinge and WTF?

CD
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#49]
They've surfaced in photos before and one even made it to auction not too long ago. Apparently this stock was a short lived interim solution to the latch breakage issue that simply removed the folding feature altogether. FN eventually revised the geometry of the stock folding button by increasing the radius of its locking teeth, thereby reducing the potential of them to sheer off when snapped shut. These new latches are distinguished by their FDE coloration, as opposed to the previously black buttons which can still be seen in use at the bottom of CD's picture.

Link Posted: 11/8/2018 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Kalmar:
They've surfaced in photos before and one even made it to auction not too long ago. Apparently this stock was a short lived interim solution to the latch breakage issue that simply removed the folding feature altogether. FN eventually revised the geometry of the stock folding button by increasing the radius of its locking teeth, thereby reducing the potential of them to sheer off when snapped shut. These new latches are distinguished by their FDE coloration, as opposed to the previously black buttons which can still be seen in use at the bottom of CD's picture.

https://i.imgur.com/J0tapU9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Xwmq3ca.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xXouX46.jpg
View Quote
Do you recall what it brought at auction?
Page / 38
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top