Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 1:28:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I haven't found a decent priced 17S yet, but on the positive side I just received my FREE Super SCAR trigger for being one of the 10 Geissele Plinko winners!

I've already slapped it in the 16S and man is it amazing!
View Quote
 thats bad ass, i never win shit
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 7:51:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I have never used Quantico and it looks like they are a Mil/LE only dealer? Either way it looks like the price is $2800 for the estimated 6+ month wait. That is $200 below the new Mil/LE MSRP.  If you really really want one and have the $2800 for reserve on a debit or cc then lock yourself in line for one. Or just keep a look out in the EE for a used one.
View Quote
I ordered a MIL/LEO 17S through Quantico, waited 7 months...nothing. Canceled the order and found one at $2,750. This was two years ago. Unsure if the timelines have improved.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I ordered a MIL/LEO 17S through Quantico, waited 7 months...nothing. Canceled the order and found one at $2,750. This was two years ago. Unsure if the timelines have improved.
View Quote
Nope. Basically the same thing today.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Is Geissele the only one making SCAR aftermarket triggers?

Any recommendations on where the best prices are?
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Timney SCAR  trigger is another option. But Super SCAR seems to be the one to go with. Timney and G are the only two I know of.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 12:22:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Geissele, Timney, and Shooting Sight all make SCAR triggers. I've always heard really good things about all three, but it seems the Geissele is by far the most popular.

Brownells has them for sale often for like $259, and with the usual $20 off a $200 order code they share it would make it $239. That's the best price I've seen. Almost pulled the trigger on one from Brownells until I won.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 4:02:22 AM EDT
[#8]
was getting ready to buy a 16 then FN decided they wanted to price them out of the cost/performance they were doing great at.

got another sr-15 instead.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
was getting ready to buy a 16 then FN decided they wanted to price them out of the cost/performance they were doing great at.

View Quote
The current "mini-panic" isn't doing them any good either. One look at the prices being asked on GB will scare you off the platform.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 12:12:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd love to own one to SBR, but my 17 and KAC SBR are doing me fine right now.

Not that KAC did themselves any favors with their own price hop...
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Demand.

Imports from Herstal are very limited relative to the commercial demand. There are some interesting reasons behind it, but suffice to say military and LE contract get priority over the US commercial market. There are a few other factors at play more recently, but the short answer is Herstal can't make enough guns at their existing production capacity to keep up with demand as a whole to include US commercial demand.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nope. Basically the same thing today.
View Quote
You can literally work for the company and wait a year+ to get your personal SCAR at discount so don't feel bad.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 7:32:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The current "mini-panic" isn't doing them any good either. One look at the prices being asked on GB will scare you off the platform.
View Quote
Yep. EE and GB asking prices are getting into KAC SR25 territory.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 8:23:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Yep, I finally gave up and went the PTR 91 route instead. No regrets.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#15]
For the guy asking about triggers, there's a G trigger for sale on the FN forum for $250. Not mine of course - I don't even own a SCAR.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For the guy asking about triggers, there's a G trigger for sale on the FN forum for $250. Not mine of course - I don't even own a SCAR.
View Quote
Also might think about the Shooting Sight trigger too. I've got those in both my 17S rifles and they're fantastic triggers.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 8:49:47 PM EDT
[#17]
This conversation is making me feel good about the FDE 17 I paid $3,600 for.  It had the FNH rail extension and was wearing an RMR Acog as well!  It was a used gun from Buds.  Like new, love it!  If only I was doing more shooting.....
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Buy it Now prices on gunbroker are now in the $5k-$7 range. This is unfortunate...
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Buy it Now prices on gunbroker are now in the $5k-$7 range. This is unfortunate...
View Quote
Yep. I hope people aren't actually paying that much.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Dwindling supply and increased demand.

I tried to get one when they were in the 2800- 3000 range earlier and there was just no one selling. Now it seems you get what you get and you don’t throw a fit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#21]
There is a black 17s near me in Akron on the gun classifieds for 3k, and has sat there for two weeks now.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 10:14:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They don't, from what i've been seeing. It's the same folks posting and reposting the same ad, and every time they drop it by a couple hundred bucks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a FDE Scar-16 listed on Gunbroker with the following upgrades:

Kinetic Development Group SAS Adaptable Stock Kit...$300

Parker Mountain Machine Mod MagPul K-Grip ...$32

Parker Mountain Machine KRE Rail Extension...$110

Parker Mountain Machine HD Side Rail Delete Panels...$65

Parker Mountain Machine Lower Rail Delete Kit...$60

Advanced Armament Corp 51T Suppressor Mount...$95

Knights Armament KeyMod QD Sling Mount ...$38

I have it listed for $2599 and it hasn't sold.

People might be asking $2500 for a FDE 16, but I doubt they're getting it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 12:18:14 AM EDT
[#24]
After looking at the prices and lack of supply, I changed the price to $2699.

EDITED: I looked at my receipt.  I bought my first black Scar-16S in 2013, and paid over $2500.  Prices have just returned to their previous levels.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

EDITED: I looked at my receipt.  I bought my first black Scar-16S in 2013, and paid over $2500.  Prices have just returned to their previous levels.
View Quote
Actually FN raised the prices of the Scar rifles ..... MSRP has been raised
16s - $3299 MSRP
17s - $3499 MSRP

LEO/MIL Pricing is now as follows:
16s - $2600
17s-  $2800

With that said I don't guess we will see SCARs below those prices moving forward .... I am sure there are still some out there that weren't purchased at the new prices that could still be had
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I agree and don't expect SCAR pricing to decrease.

We have a market divided:

On one side we have companies like Colt racing to the bottom to compete with hobby-grade AR "manufacturers".
On the other side we have companies like BCM, Daniel Defense, KAC, and FNH that continue to raise their prices but still entice customers to purchase based upon the QUALITY of the item ... not just the price.

Many simply don't know or care about the differences and buy on price alone.  Personally, I'd rather have less but better quality.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Comparing the current SCAR prices to current CZ BREN prices makes the SCAR look expensive.

Comparing the current SCAR prices to current Sig USA anything prices makes the SCAR look like a value (observation based upon price vs quality).

Comparing the current SCAR prices to current BCM or DD DI AR prices makes the SCAR seem a little expensive, but its a proprietary design without peer.  As mentioned above, CZ tried to copy it but failed somewhat.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
People will be more likely to spend money on a stock rifle than something that has already been modified. No one is buying your rifle because your specific set of modifications slash upgrades don't appeal to those who have seen it and are looking to buy. The issue when selling with upgrades is unless someone was planning to set it up the same way they just feel like they are paying for stuff they don't want, even if the price doesn't reflect all the upgrades.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I may pay MORE for an unmodified rifle. There are always modified SCAR 17s on the EE, but at $4k plus including upgrades I don't necessarily care for, I'll never pay that much unless a high end optic is involved. You rarely ever recover the value of modifications you make. Same is true for Cars, bikes, etc.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#30]
While I agree that a specific set up is personalized and will appeal only to a select group I disagree overall because my commmet was related to cost only.

I’ve had the rifle listed for weeks at $2599 (just raised the price to $2699 last night).  The 2599 is only $99 more than the cheapest stock gun on Gunbroker (at my last review of prices).  A person could sell the add-on parts for $450-500.  Factory stocks sell for $75 on the EE and the factory rails are on feeBay for $25 a set.  This places the cost at 2599-500+100 ... 2299 with a little time investment.

No takers.

This tells me SCARs aren’t competing well with the cheap AR market.

Maybe everyone that REALLY wanted a SCAR already has one.  The mildly interested aren’t willing to spend $2500 on a rifle.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#31]
BTW:  I’m not complaining about the gun not selling.

I’m using my actual case-in-point regarding the current SCAR pricing (topic of thread).
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
BTW:  I'm not complaining about the gun not selling.

I'm using my actual case-in-point regarding the current SCAR pricing (topic of thread).
View Quote
As was said above, people may be willing to spend more money on an unmodified rifle than something they have to disassemble, sell parts from and look for other parts if that's not what they were originally planning to do. I know you're not complaining, but our point is that your rifle not selling isn't a good indicator of overall scar values.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
BTW:  I'm not complaining about the gun not selling.

I'm using my actual case-in-point regarding the current SCAR pricing (topic of thread).
View Quote
I think the prices on the 17 are more out of line with what they should be compared to a 16. It's virtually impossible to find them new and in stock, and the used ones are asking higher than new prices.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
As was said above, people may be willing to spend more money on an unmodified rifle than something they have to disassemble, sell parts from and look for other parts if that's not what they were originally planning to do. I know you're not complaining, but our point is that your rifle not selling isn't a good indicator of overall scar values.
View Quote
I see what your saying.  That makes sense.  Maybe I’ll restore it to original and repost it at 2499 to see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think the prices on the 17 are more out of line with what they should be compared to a 16. It's virtually impossible to find them new and in stock, and the used ones are asking higher than new prices.
View Quote
I agree on the 17 prices being proportionally out of line.  The prices are above Sandy Hook / Obama re-election levels.  FDE prices are really up.

The 16 is up, but seemingly not selling.

Weird market.  Supply and demand, but is the demand that strong?
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#36]
...or supply that low?
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I see what your saying.  That makes sense.  Maybe I’ll restore it to original and repost it at 2499 to see what happens.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do that and list the mod parts on FN forums, where a bunch of SCAR types hang out. The SCAR will sell quicker, and after selling the parts, you'll get more overall, than your modded SCAR listing price.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Excellent advice. As a prospective 17 buyer I can vouch for it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
I sure hope so. Folks posting about getting $2400 17s has me wishing I'd acted sooner. I just won't pay ~$3k for the rifle. It's just not worth that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#40]
The SCAR 17 is in a very special place right now. Unfortunately not that take your pick of black or fde for 2450-2500 special place it was not to long ago. As mentioned above MSRP bump with no feature or operation upgrades, rise in material cost, small batch manufacturing, import processing, and product life cycle make the 17 scarce and shrinks it’s market share.

The SCAR 16 though besides all of the above, we all know is a 5.56 gun. Demand for the 16's in my experience was not quite on par with the 17. In my opinion the new incoming shipment, assuming new pricing, will exceed that of the 16's value. Of course there will be somewhat of a demand but I believe it will be even lower than previous price points.

On the plus side there are windows were opportunity occurs. The luxury/vanity purchase aspect of the SCAR, 17 for example, plus the cost of shooting 308 yields SCAR’s that sit then eventually get sold at a discount. Right now though due to being on the latter end of between shipments and an MSRP hike, you have the usual sales of used low round count SCAR’s but at inflated prices typically with upgrades which were touched on above. There are also sales trying to take advantage of the unique scarcity/MSRP increase on those who do not wish to wait (opportunity cost).

If I wanted a SCAR at this point I would wait for the next shipment. The relative prices will drop, the new supply and demand model will adjust, there will be more used rifles in the EE, Gunbroker, etc which will stir competition and those will drop accordingly. I have mainly watched 17 pricing as I have noted a couple times already in the thread but given the 16 topic on hand I am eyeing a used and new 16 to see what they go for in the current market. Auction watching is a good tool but there are variables to consider,  which can skew the near real demand and of course the more sample points the better the conclusion.

I think a used stock 16 in near new condition and low round count would sale in a week at $2250, same day at $2000. As for new stock 16's regardless of color I just do not see the market paying $3000 a pop, more or less even $2800, sans luxury/vanity purchases.

eta: spell check
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 6:45:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
If it’s not selling at $2,599, I can’t imagine increasing the price will help it sell. That’s a unique strategy to say the least
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If it’s not selling at $2,599, I can’t imagine increasing the price will help it sell. That’s a unique strategy to say the least
View Quote
Oddly, its worked before
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Let me explain ...

I've sold a lot of guns / gun parts well below what I paid for them simply because I wanted to get them out of my safe.  HOWEVER, I've found that people are often suspicious if you're selling something for 15-25% less than the next guy.  By raising the price to within 2-3% of the next guy ... WHAM someone buys it.

Same item.
Same seller.
Less suspicion from the buyer.

ETA: Notice I have 586 feedback ... that's a lot of experience selling on here.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 10:27:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Let me explain ...

I've sold a lot of guns / gun parts well below what I paid for them simply because I wanted to get them out of my safe.  HOWEVER, I've found that people are often suspicious if you're selling something for 15-25% less than the next guy.  By raising the price to within 2-3% of the next guy ... WHAM someone buys it.

Same item.
Same seller.
Less suspicion from the buyer.
View Quote
I could definitely see that; the old "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" type of thing. I do it on Armslist and other places....and 95% of the time, I'm right.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I could definitely see that; the old "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" type of thing. I do it on Armslist and other places....and 95% of the time, I'm right.
View Quote
Absolutely.

If the seller doesn't have a lot of feedback I can see where buyers would be worried.  However, an established seller might just want to move it.  Regardless, raising the price often results in sells.

To test the OPPOSITE of this ... I just lowered the price of the subject SCAR to $2499.

Lets see if it moves.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#46]
And to think, just a couple years ago they could be had BNIB for $2500 with a promotional BNIB Geissele trigger. Every time I check their prices, im glad I bought in when I did.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Found a new FDE 17 online for $2950, so I went for it. Never thought I would be excited to pay that price for a rifle.
Beats paying $4k+ on gunbroker.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Found a new FDE 17 online for $2950, so I went for it. Never thought I would be excited to pay that price for a rifle.
Beats paying $4k+ on gunbroker.
View Quote
Good score .....where did you find it?
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Good score .....where did you find it?
View Quote
Peak firearms, but they're out of stock again. I used https://gun.deals/ to find who had them in stock.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Peak firearms, but they're out of stock again. I used https://gun.deals/ to find who had them in stock.
View Quote
Nice yeah if you look very frequently you can get lucky .... it does appear we might be in a scar drought for awhile however
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top