Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2017 4:43:33 AM EDT
So i finally decided it was time to Pick up a Scar 17 and i was wondering if you guys had input on how the Pmag compatible lowers are doing these days, I read the thread from 5 years ago but have not come by anything since.

I see handle defense, xproducts, and stryker, but dont see a ton of info on them.

I would really like to keep mag compatibility between my MWS and the Scar.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#1]
There is/was also HDD, Cav Arms, and ShockNAwe making lowers. There is a lot of animosity between certain companies/owners which will be obvious during research.
I have owned all but the Stryker (which has a good reputation). Of the others, the only I wouldn't buy again was the CavArms. It worked fine, but had a too wide internal dimension and sharper edges.
An early Handl unit had fitment issues, which the factory corrected. A later one of their units fit perfectly. Good luck in your search
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Handl Defense lower on my Scar, for the same reason (MWS). It's well made and works very well for me. The only negative about it is that on some few magazines (the Lancers come to mind), the follower is tall enough to trip the bolt hold open when there is one round left in the magazine, which is annoying. I have not had this happen on any other magazines to my knowledge, including ASC or P-mags, but then again I only have 3-4 types of SR-25/LR-308 pattern magazines to begin with instead of the 15 different AK magazine styles in my collection.

As previously stated, the market is saturated in toxicity with some very blatant hatred and almost comical mud-throwing going around. It's for that reason it makes it hard for me to visit the other FN board..
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only negative about it is that on some few magazines (the Lancers come to mind), the follower is tall enough to trip the bolt hold open when there is one round left in the magazine, which is annoying.
View Quote
This is normal for any PMag style lower. If you put a factory mag next to a PMag, you'll see the follower is higher in the PMag type mags. I shorten the factory bolt hold open to correct this issue
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I had FN parts on back order from stryker for 2 1/2 years and they were going to charge me 20% for cancelling the order... after 2 and a half years!

Posted a thread and someone else commented on his facebook page  about it... he then threatened me with legal action and never refunded me the items... 

Between that and the FN mags work great and are not as expensive and hard to find as they once were, never saw the need for the lower....
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is normal for any PMag style lower. If you put a factory mag next to a PMag, you'll see the follower is higher in the PMag type mags. I shorten the factory bolt hold open to correct this issue
View Quote
I thought about doing that but as I recall it only happens to me with Lancer magazines so I didn't really consider it to be a big issue. I'm not a professional user, my guns are range toys.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#6]
With the price of one of those lowers, you can buy a ton of factory FN mags.  That’s what I ended up doing.
I ended up keeping the factory FN lower, now I have a ton of FN mags.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I had FN parts on back order from stryker for 2 1/2 years and they were going to charge me 20% for cancelling the order... after 2 and a half years!

Posted a thread and someone else commented on his facebook page  about it... he then threatened me with legal action and never refunded me the items... 
View Quote
That guy is the sole reason why I stopped going to the FN forum, he is worse than LaRue and has amassed an army of mindless twats who run around on that forum destroying and blocking any negative comment that might be made about him or his products.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That guy is the sole reason why I stopped going to the FN forum, he is worse than LaRue and has amassed an army of mindless twats who run around on that forum destroying and blocking any negative comment that might be made about him or his products.
View Quote
With regard to his lowers, the fit/finish/workmanship is absolutely impeccable. I got in on ordering one during the first day of preordering several years ago. I was very put off on the delays and since I ordered the factory magazine version I waited longer than quite a few people that ordered much later than me. Was I upset, absolutely. ...the wait and deficient customer service sucked. I have no idea now as to the wait times ordering from them.

I really like my Stryker lower. Everything about it is perfect FOR ME. He's been helpful several time on the other forum for me but he's also incredibly defensive and touchy which makes it tough to like him at times. All that aside, if you want a very well made PMAG lower you'd be remiss to ignore his product but I'd only buy one if it were in stock at a vendor I trusted. No more financing a product build/development and then waiting what seemed like FOREVER for me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

He's been helpful several time on the other forum for me but he's also incredibly defensive and touchy which makes it tough to like him at times. No more financing a product build/development and then waiting what seemed like FOREVER for me.
View Quote
This right here, is reason enough to not support the guy. Anyone who is openly a prick to a captive audience that is considering spending their hard earned money on a niche and practically unnecessary product should quit. I agree on the wait time and being the guinea pig for product development without being told in advance that you were basically financing the endeavor is bs. The other forum is to be avoided like the plague and that guy is a large part of why the atmosphere over there is unbearable.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:24:46 AM EDT
[#10]
After giving it a little though, i could practically get a 10 pack of FN mags so I think that while have mag compatibility would be nice, i think i am leaning towards keeping the lower at this point.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#11]
The only reason I've thought about getting one is to be able to run 25rd pmags, I feel like it's a better capacity for any closer in work.
I don't understand why FN hasn't offered 25rd mags yet as an option, with the bumper the 20rd have now they wouldn't be much longer at all.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Pmags hold the bolt catch up about a quarter inch and it can cause damage to the carrier or a malfunction.

There is a long thread on FN forum on how to file down the mag to fix it.

Worked for me before my boating accident.

Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The only reason I've thought about getting one is to be able to run 25rd pmags, I feel like it's a better capacity for any closer in work.
I don't understand why FN hasn't offered 25rd mags yet as an option, with the bumper the 20rd have now they wouldn't be much longer at all.
View Quote
I got some detailed photos of the FN 5 rd extension and the mag it came from. The bottom of the magazine is bent outwards rather than inwards to hold the base plate. The extension uses a metal clip to hold it on. I was considering buying the extension. But since the magazine body is different it likely wouldn't work. If the magazine body was the same I would have tried to 3D print a copy of the extension. I don't know why they don't just import the 25 rd mags. I'm sure they would sell a pile of them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I got one of the Stryker Ent. Pmag powers for my Scar 17 when the pre-paid orders were accepted. It is a very nicely finished power and it works very well with the 25 rd Magpul magazines. However, it would not work with my X Products 50 rd drum magazines. The X Products drum magazine is too large to fit into the magazine well. Oh, and I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for FNH to import any 25 rd FNH magazines. They never did for the FN FAL and I doubt they will for the SCAR 17.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I had Handl lowers on both of my 17s. I ended up going back to the stock lower. I figured why mess with a crazy reliable battle rifle. FN put a lot of R and D into the platform. My lowers were finicky, but even after being fixed, I didnt trust them like the stock lower. The stock lower is also a decent bit lighter. Even though I had a bunch of pmags, I didnt see a use for changing the lower.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top