Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2017 8:28:54 AM EDT
So I traded into one of these. First impressions are not so good.

The backstraps retention tab is smashed up good, I guess the previous owner gorilla'd it.

Mags don't drop free, I sanded a little of the inside of the magwell to remove burrs, so now 2/3 drop free. But only if I don't hold the mag release, or grip frame too tight because it warps & jams them up.

Since both of these issues seem to stem from the rubbery polymer used for the frame, do you think I will have luck sending it back to FN? (2013 production, second owner) Mine isn't as bad as the the "rubber fnx" video, but my impression is that it's considerably softer than any Glock or HK frame I have seen.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Despite what GD says, the rubbery thing seems to be incredibly rare. Mine feels every bit as sturdy as my other polymers. If yours doesn't, I wouldn't hesitate to ask FN to look at it. Rumor says their CS has improved from years past (which isn't saying much).
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#2]
You can also put a few layers of painters tape on a mag and heat up the grip a bit with a hair dryer.  That works to open up the grip of you decide you don't want to send it back to FN.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:48:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, I will see what they say. If I don't send it back I'll probably end up trying the heat or a little more sanding.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:46:27 AM EDT
[#4]
That sucks. I believe there was a batch of bad polymer that sneaked out. I have 45FNX T that is newer production and it's been great. No squishy polymer.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:30:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Not sure if you know this, but just an FYI in case.

If yours is an FNP model, make sure you don't have FNX mags. Though they work fine in an FNP, they don't drop free.

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fnx/36109-fnp-45-magazine-fnx-45-pistol-up-close-request-pictures.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top