Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2017 5:52:47 PM EDT
I've read posts where American Eagle has issues with feeding, bullet setback and case separation in the PS90. I've also read posts on various forums where people have no problems with it. I've also seen a few videos that include Hickock45 that had no problems at all with AE in their PS90s. I recently purchased a PS90 (still waiting for it to show up at my FFL) and already ordered a bunch of the SS197SL, but I'd like to order a bunch of the AE if it'll work since I'd rather use that up at the range over the FN ammo.

So what are your personal experiences with the AE ammo in the PS90? How many failures in how many rounds and what kind? How many have had zero problems?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#1]
OST. I've got a bunch inbound and an approved form 4 for my PS90 SBR.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had zero issues on <1000 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 6:10:55 PM EDT
[#3]
We go through about 150,000 rounds a year. It's the only ammo I get for it,  no, problems.  The mags wear out fast though , a mag or two a year
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We go through about 150,000 rounds a year. It's the only ammo I get for it,  no, problems.  The mags wear out fast though , a mag or two a year
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
No doubt when you're shooting 150,000 rounds a year. I don't need to worry about that one.

Quoted:
Good to hear no issues so far.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OST. I've got a bunch inbound and an approved form 4 for my PS90 SBR.
View Quote
Looking forward to reading about the results.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This occurred at 900 rpm, out of a P90...

https://i.imgur.com/4MawJUt.jpg

As I've said before, FN SS197 & Federal American Eagle (both manufactured by Fiocchi in Ozark, MO) are good for practice and MALFUNCTION DRILLS!
View Quote
I think I read about your particular malfunctions on another gun forum. I'm surprised to hear about the SS197 since almost no one has a problem with it. Is this out of one particular P90 using factory mags? How many other failures with AE and SS197?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had no issues with the AE ammo, but with ss197sr being only three bucks more, I buy the ss197sr now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:51:11 PM EDT
[#10]
No issues with a.e.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 5:57:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I ONLY run FACTORY FN mags.

I PERSONALLY had an issue with SS197, I was shooting my PS90 and I had a round that sounded "light", so light it failed to eject and chamber another round. I encountered 4 rounds in the same magazine.

Jay Wolf of Elite Ammunition posted a video of him pulling down a box of 50 rounds of SS197 and weighing each charge he found MORE than a 10% deviation. On a powder charge that small that's DANGEROUS!

Here is a photo a member of FNforums.net posted of SS197 he pulled out of a box...

https://i.imgur.com/eSVtxPi.jpg

I have a post on FNforums.net where I was bragging that I had never had an issue with FN SS197 THEN the aforementioned issue occurred and I had to eat crow.
View Quote
I think the FNforums is where I read about your issues. It could of been just a bad batch. I've had some weird looking factory ammo like a few Remington .357 cases that were twisted like a twizzler. I've had under powered factory loads as well. Sometimes it happens, but if you only had a few FN rounds and one AE round jam then it doesn't sound like it's a major issue. So far everyone else here had no issues with one person shooting 150,000 of AE per year. You definitely had some problems and I appreciate the feedback.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Only malfunction I have ever had was with AE ammo.  Never had any issues with FN ammo.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I am in the same boat.. over 1000 rounds.. no issues.... Only run in Semi PS90, PS90SBR and FN handgun.... no full auto.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I have shot about 3000 rounds of AE I prefer to use it in my pistol because groups in my ps90 open up alot with the AE I have had one FTF with AE

I find it is good enough for range fun
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 2:50:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Have had quite a few bullet setback issues in a PS90. Once I shoot it the first time, I reload it and it works fine after that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top