Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2017 7:21:52 AM EDT
Please educate my ignorant self on thins scar? I am very tempted to buy one. Should it be nib or have some seasoning?
Y'all get the jest of my inquiry? Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#1]
As for nib or not that's really hard to say as everyone is different and some don't like to buy used. That said with new prices going so low and people still holding on to the older higher prices I think you will find it hard to save enough to justify it used currently. The 16 is great but I do like the ar better and I feel the scar shines with the 17. The scar 17 is a very accurate, light, and reliable .308 in a modern package. You are clearly already interested and I can't seem to find a single reason not to buy one outside of price. I say go for it. They work with few issues, they are accurate, and for a .308 very light. They also have a fair amount of after market support which is nice.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Absolutely love my SCAR 17 (and 16). As for me, I like buying them new, I like knowing what exactly has happened to the gun since it left the store, but that's just me. I highly doubt the SCAR 17s will get much cheaper, maybe a little more room to drop, but how long that will last is yet to be seen. If you can afford to pick one up, get it, but definitely replace the trigger sooner than later.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#3]
My Scar 17 is hands down one of my favorite rifles. I'd pick it up over an AR any day.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#4]
The SCAR 17, seems to be the consensus choice. New versus usded also seems to be the way to go.
Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Do it, 17 w/ a Super SCAR trigger.

ETA: Used if you can get it off a reliable source for ease of mind or go new. Solid rifle and I have had no issues, only FTF's came from soft points. OTM's & ball have all functioned flawlessly, not to mention accurate for a non-stainless barrel.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The SCAR 17, seems to be the consensus choice. New versus usded also seems to be the way to go.
Thanks for the input.
View Quote
For sure... I would buy what you can buy.  New or used should not be a big deal.  308 does not burn out barrels anywhere near as fast as 5.56.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#7]
This past weekend I was talking with the FN rep at the NRA show.
 She was nice and from what I could tell knew the products well.
 I asked her why I should buy a scar over an AR. She looked at me like I was dumb and said
"Because it's a F$&king scar that's why!"
   They had a shirt that said " your company builds sporting rifles? That's CUTE..."
     " our rifles liberate nations!"
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I enjoy my 16 quite a bit.

Will enjoy it even more once my stamp comes back
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I enjoy my 16 quite a bit.

Will enjoy it even more once my stamp comes back
View Quote
I keep thinking I want a 16 but for a grand less I can get the CZ Bren.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I keep thinking I want a 16 but for a grand less I can get the CZ Bren.
View Quote
You will still want a SCAR after you get a 805. Just get the SCAR and save yourself the hassle.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#11]
If you can wrap your mind around the cost of the SCAR 17, then it's a great purchase. High quality/reliability, light weight, 1moa accurate.
I will admit that I underestimated how much I would spend on an optic and accessories (i.e. Geiselle trigger, Grip Pod, Magpul Miad, QD mounts, extra mags, etc.)
I try not to think about how much I've spent. I've had to put my 2nd .308 rifle build on hold for 1-2 years.
I doubt I will ever buy a Scar 16, unless I got a smoking deal on a lightly used one.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:05:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You will still want a SCAR after you get a 805. Just get the SCAR and save yourself the hassle.
View Quote
I already have a 17.... the Bren is a better option for 5.56 rifle other than AR15 choices.  The 16 looks better but stock the Bren owns the SCAR 16.  To get the SCAR 16 to as good as the Bren out of the box expect to drop more coin for a trigger, and better sling attachment points while costing way more.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:07:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you can wrap your mind around the cost of the SCAR 17, then it's a great purchase. High quality/reliability, light weight, 1moa accurate.
I will admit that I underestimated how much I would spend on an optic and accessories (i.e. Geiselle trigger, Grip Pod, Magpul Miad, QD mounts, extra mags, etc.)
I try not to think about how much I've spent. I've had to put my 2nd .308 rifle build on hold for 1-2 years.
I doubt I will ever buy a Scar 16, unless I got a smoking deal on a lightly used one.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

I know the feeling... Rail extension, mags, QD points, G trigger........
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#14]
awesome gun to have. I had no real reason to buy my 16 other than i am a collector and wanted one.

I buy a majority of things used, i opted to buy my scar new in box. I couldn't find a decent deal used so just bought a new one.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:05:20 AM EDT
[#15]
If you have disposable funds dedicated / ear marked for your shooting hobby there is no reason to NOT buy a SCAR 16 and 17.

They're fantastic rifles, and the prices are reasonable again.  I've owned AR15s continuously for the past 33 years, and have a difficult time finding fault with the Scar.  I'm more familiar with ARs (obviously), but completely disagree with the argument that a SCAR doesn't do anything different than an AR.  This amounts to people being cheap and/or locked into the AR design.  Nothing wrong with an AR, but the SCAR can do things different than an "as issued" DI AR15:

Folding stock;
Will remain functional if the stock assembly breaks;
Reciprocating charging handle that functions as a REAL TIME forward assist;
Cradle to grave piston design;
Adjustable gas;
Reliable function (no gas in face) with suppressor;
Does not anneal bolt;
Improved ambi controls.

Yes, some non "TDP" ARs have switch blocks, AMBI lowers, piston abortions, etc.  However, these are "product improvements" or "catch up engineering".  The SCAR started on the concept white board as a modern rifle (not a 60 year old rifle that has been ... by necessity ... updated).

I'm not bashing DI ARs.  I have them. I use them. I like them.
I am praising the SCAR.

I've been a SCAR owner since they first became available.  I've not regretted the decision once.

If I could have only one rifle it would be a SCAR17.
If I could have two rifles it would be a SCAR17 and SCAR16.
If I could have three rifles it would be a SCAR17, SCAR16 and Ruger 10/22.
If I could have four rifles it would be a SCAR17, SCAR16, Ruger 10/22 and BCM BFH or Colt AR15.

Buy one or two.  You won't regret it.  However, do not expect it to feel or perform like an AR.  It is a completely different animal.  Give it time, and you'll come to appreciate it.

Also, resist the urge to change the gun from its original OEM format.  Add an optic (I like ACOGs for the SCAR) and perhaps a Super Scar trigger.  Leave the rest alone.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:28:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Also, resist the urge to change the gun from its original OEM format.  Add an optic (I like ACOGs for the SCAR) and perhaps a Super Scar trigger.  Leave the rest alone.
View Quote
You sir, have not tried a PMM extended mag release. Best (and one of the cheapest) upgrades.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:50:47 AM EDT
[#17]
One more or another question, which/what optic would be the best option? I appreciate
everyone's input, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:54:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Do you all use a dedicated magazine or is that not an issue?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:36:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
One more or another question, which/what optic would be the best option? I appreciate
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I have had no issues with both Aimpoints and ACOGs after many, many thousands of rounds.  Those are the only two I've ever used, though.

Quoted:
Not an issue.  Just be sure to read up on the earlier gen Pmags and Lancers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Metal milspec mags are zero issue. If you use Pmags you just gotta check the plastic in the back doesn't touch the bolt catch. If it does, it's a 2 second fix with a razor blade.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 4:32:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Thank you everyone, for experience and knowledge I appreciate it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top