Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2017 10:38:56 PM EDT
Any issues running the dirty cheap russian steel case 308 in scar 17s?

wanted to grab some of the stupid cheap steel case stuff in bulk.

Also thought about getting some of that malaysian surplus.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Tried it in my 16 - had to use a rod to get the casings out of the breach.  Never tried it in the 17.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:27:19 PM EDT
[#2]
A friend of mine was shooting it out of his 17 last time we went to the range.  No issues at all as far as reliabilty.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:36:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Malaysian surplus works awesome in the scarH, buy it with confidence.

I've never ran any steel case in my rifle.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Ran some, it worked fine.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#5]
My 16 gobbles it up
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I shot a lot of steel through my 17 no issues.  It is much cheaper than brass cased for plinking around and shooting Minute of Man.  Match ammo if I want to group otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:20:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I go back and forth with whether or not I should use it in my 17 as well.

Basically I ended up reading to many threads about bi metal bullets being hard on barrels and decided against it for my personal use since the scar barrel isn't as cheap to replace as an AR barrel.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:03:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I've shot Wolf .308 with no issues in my 17s. I haven't shot any in quite a while, but I certainly would again.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:14:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Three years ago I bought a used 16 that saw Wolf steel case exclusively.  I never cleaned the gun and never had a single problem. When I sold it I told the buyer I had only used Wolf, and he was glad because he had a significant stockpile of steel case.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:18:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I go back and forth with whether or not I should use it in my 17 as well.

Basically I ended up reading to many threads about bi metal bullets being hard on barrels and decided against it for my personal use since the scar barrel isn't as cheap to replace as an AR barrel.
View Quote
I'm seriously not being an asshat here ...

If you manage to wear out a SCAR barrel please post it on ARFCOM.  I believe you'll be the first.  I've been shooting THOUSANDS of rounds of Wolf bi-metal steel case ammo a year since it first became available.  I've yet to see any appreciable accelerated wear.  It is dirty, less accurate, and will occasionally cause a case to stick in the chamber ... but I do not believe it will accelerate the barrel wear (chrome lining is VERY HARD) enough to matter.

If you save $100 a case by shooting bi-metal ... and a new SCAR barrel is $1000 ... you only have to shoot 10,000 rds before you're profiting from shooting bi-metal.   I've seen several new take-off barrels on the exchange for $600.  That's only 6k rounds before you're saving (or making) money on bi-metal.  Lots of people shoot that every six months....
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:38:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree... I shot thousands and thousands of steel case ammo in my registered M16 with no sign of difference.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm seriously not being an asshat here ...

If you manage to wear out a SCAR barrel please post it on ARFCOM.  I believe you'll be the first.  I've been shooting THOUSANDS of rounds of Wolf bi-metal steel case ammo a year since it first became available.  I've yet to see any appreciable accelerated wear.  It is dirty, less accurate, and will occasionally cause a case to stick in the chamber ... but I do not believe it will accelerate the barrel wear (chrome lining is VERY HARD) enough to matter.

If you save $100 a case by shooting bi-metal ... and a new SCAR barrel is $1000 ... you only have to shoot 10,000 rds before you're profiting from shooting bi-metal.   I've seen several new take-off barrels on the exchange for $600.  That's only 6k rounds before you're saving (or making) money on bi-metal.  Lots of people shoot that every six months....
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top