Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2017 9:30:52 AM EDT
Has anyone heard of this issue where someone had a can on their 17 and something went wrong and fn told them that the scar is not to be used with a suppressor?   Not sure what the actual malfunction was, something about the bolt getting stuck.  There is a big thread on it over on fn forums.  This is the first time I have ever heard of someone having an issue due to a suppressor on a scar and the first-time I have heard that you should not use one or that scar was not designed to be used in conjunction with a can.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Why in the world would this be true if they built the gun with a gas setting specifically for shooting suppressed? They are/were used in the military with cans as well. Sounds like a bunch bologna to me. I don't visit the FN Forum any longer, too much BS and circle jerking going on over there so I'd take that info with a grain of salt for now.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#2]
The argument is being made that the setting on the civilian scar is not for a suppressor but it is for adverse conditions. I'm not saying if it's true I'm just simply stating with a very lengthy thread is saying.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The argument is being made that the setting on the civilian scar is not for a suppressor but it is for adverse conditions. I'm not saying if it's true I'm just simply stating with a very lengthy thread is saying.
View Quote
My 16s won't cycle on the "adverse conditions" mode then.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I need to dump my 16 then.

But I did shoot it with out an issue last weekend for about 900 or so rounds killing things that need to be killed. Hogs.

Maybe mine is a fluke.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:56:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
That would not make sense, adverse conditions would require more gas not less which is what a suppressor setting provides.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Which is also the argument being made on the other forum.  Like I said I'm not agreeing with this discussion I was simply trying to get the thoughts of some other people and see if anybody else had heard of this I stumbled Upon This Thread late last night and this is the first time I've ever heard of such a situation
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#7]
shot my 17 with an AAC canon "adverse conditions" mode. lol never one malfunction EVER
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

LOL

The fact you can buy the same barrels with the same gas system from FN that they use in their full auto enabled guns should say it all. Fnforum loves stiring up BS. There is no difference in the guns other than the muzzle devices and the trigger packs.

This is not aimed at you OP, I understand you were just curious. My comments are more aimed at the Fnforum people, they are ridicilious.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#9]
That could be from the military manual as mine refers to the setting as adverse.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That could be from the military manual as mine refers to the setting as adverse.
View Quote
I do believe it is the military one, handle defense has this manual listed online.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#11]
It looks like FN had more of an issue with an aftermarket muzzle device being used which voided the warranty.

In regards to suppressed use vs. adverse use, it's pretty easy to see what the different gas settings on the gas block are for if you take out the adjustable part. Compare the port holes. The 12 o'clock Normal port is much bigger than the 10 o'clock port. Also while in the 10 o'clock position the two small ports on the side line up with a channel in the gas block. All of this should lead one to believe it's for suppressed use to help choke the gasses from back pressure and bleed pressure from the piston chamber. If it was for adverse conditions the 10 o'clock port would be bigger for more gas pressure to help cycle the action under adverse conditions and the small ports wouldn't exist. Whether it's heresay or an actual FN rep said it's for adverse, it's wrong.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
The military manual is different than the civilian one.

In fact FN words it that if you change anything (such as the muzzle device) you void warranty support.

Don't care mine runs. I did read that thread a while ago and I believe there's more to the story...
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#13]
They had issues with AAC cans having too much backpressure so they ported the cans and then FN made their own cans.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They had issues with AAC cans having too much backpressure so they ported the cans and then FN made their own cans.
View Quote
I run a AAC can on mine with no issues. Buddy has been running a AAC M4 1000 for 6-7 years now with no issues. That warranty is crap.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I use a AAC can on mine with no issues. Its probably my favorite gun to use with a can.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It looks like FN had more of an issue with an aftermarket muzzle device being used which voided the warranty.

In regards to suppressed use vs. adverse use, it's pretty easy to see what the different gas settings on the gas block are for if you take out the adjustable part. Compare the port holes. The 12 o'clock Normal port is much bigger than the 10 o'clock port. Also while in the 10 o'clock position the two small ports on the side line up with a channel in the gas block. All of this should lead one to believe it's for suppressed use to help choke the gasses from back pressure and bleed pressure from the piston chamber. If it was for adverse conditions the 10 o'clock port would be bigger for more gas pressure to help cycle the action under adverse conditions and the small ports wouldn't exist. Whether it's heresay or an actual FN rep said it's for adverse, it's wrong.
View Quote
I posted about this on FN forum. It's silly excuse for FN to try and blame the consumer on as it's obviously designed for supressor use. Also, the SCAR comes with an aftermarket PWS muzzle brake so how in the world they think they can limit the end user to a specific muzzle device is beyond me. Of course it is the internet and I'm not sure the whole story is even factual. Also, why would they make and allow you to adjust the gas gas flow with different gas ports if there wasn't a reason to tune the gas system??
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I posted about this on FN forum. It's silly excuse for FN to try and blame the consumer on as it's obviously designed for supressor use. Also, the SCAR comes with an aftermarket PWS muzzle brake so how in the world they think they can limit the end user to a specific muzzle device is beyond me. Of course it is the internet and I'm not sure the whole story is even factual. Also, why would they make and allow you to adjust the gas gas flow with different gas ports if there wasn't a reason to tune the gas system??
View Quote
My guess, assuming it's not another internet story, is FN just doesn't really want to deal with all the small issues that may pop up from the bazallion different muzzle devices and aftermarket parts, so they basically said "if it's not how we shipped it, it's not under warranty".
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My guess, assuming it's not another internet story, is FN just doesn't really want to deal with all the small issues that may pop up from the bazallion different muzzle devices and aftermarket parts, so they basically said "if it's not how we shipped it, it's not under warranty".
View Quote
Then they would be violating the Magnuson-Moss warranty act.  It states that "Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty"

Edit to add.  I am not a lawyer and have no clue if this would apply.  Or if there are exceptions to this.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Then they would be violating the Magnuson-Moss warranty act.  It states that "Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty"
View Quote
I think so too
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:17:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Probably confusing the scar with the fs2000. The scar has regular and supressor. The fs2000 has regular and adverse.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Have a number of rounds through my 17 with a 762SD with no issues. Suppress it OP.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#22]
My Scar 17s experienced slightly increased wear and tear running a can 100% of the time... nothing terrible though (most notably the receiver screws walked slightly and slight damage from an aftermarket charging handle battering its slot a bit).

Removing poorly designed after market crap, stepping down to a 1.40 gas jet and reduced pressure loads/limited high pressure load use while suppressed fixed the issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top