Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2017 10:58:49 PM EDT
I've wanted a scar 16 since forever and I bid on one on gun broker and won!  It is black and slightly used (looks to be in perfect condition) but I only paid $1900.  Did I do good?

*side note: I'm so pissed photobucket has screwed all of the pic threads around here.  Makes me sad that all I want to do is browse the scar pic thread and 90% of the links have been broken.  Greedy bastards!
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:14:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Depending on condition once you get it in hand, I would say you got a screaming deal!
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:40:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Not the deal of the century but definitely better than the average, all of that money you saved will now go to upgrades and accessories lol. Enjoy your new boom stick, they are a great platform.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not the deal of the century but definitely better than the average, all of that money you saved will now go to upgrades and accessories lol. Enjoy your new boom stick, they are a great platform.
View Quote
I've been lacking the scar in my collection for too long now.  Im not sure where to start and if this one will be a future form 1.  I do have a aimpoint micro in larue mount waiting for it and I can't decide if I want to do an ACR stock on it or not.  The rail deletes seem good too.  So many upgrades and aftermarket support.  I can't wait!
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#4]
A RDS is all the 16 needs especially if you are going to SBR it. I chose not to add the ACR stock due to the fact that my rear QD sling mount from PMM interferes with it and honestly I have yet to have a factory stock fail on me over 4 different scars. The 17's have been reported to have issues with the ACR stock due to the forces exerted on the aluminum interface but the 16 seems to exempt form that issue. Definitely consider rail delete options or extensions from PMM and KDG. They all can use an upgrade on the charging handle and of course the one must do is the Geiselle Super Scar trigger.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A RDS is all the 16 needs especially if you are going to SBR it. I chose not to add the ACR stock due to the fact that my rear QD sling mount from PMM interferes with it and honestly I have yet to have a factory stock fail on me over 4 different scars. The 17's have been reported to have issues with the ACR stock due to the forces exerted on the aluminum interface but the 16 seems to exempt form that issue. Definitely consider rail delete options or extensions from PMM and KDG. They all can use an upgrade on the charging handle and of course the one must do is the Geiselle Super Scar trigger.
View Quote
Seems like sound advice.  I'm already looking at the geiselle trigger and I'll probably pass on the acr stock until I see how I like the factory one.  Which extended charging handle is best?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
 Which extended charging handle is best?
View Quote
That's subjective, my personal favorite is the IWC but I also have used the GG&G angled with favorable review. If you head over to the dreaded FN Forum you'll find a lot of Stryker Enterprises blow hards that claim the EACH is the best, I disagree simply due to the size but it is definitely one of the favorites amongst owners. I have not had any experience with the KDG charging handle as it's a newer offering.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's subjective, my personal favorite is the IWC but I also have used the GG&G angled with favorable review. If you head over to the dreaded FN Forum you'll find a lot of Stryker Enterprises blow hards that claim the EACH is the best, I disagree simply due to the size but it is definitely one of the favorites amongst owners. I have not had any experience with the KDG charging handle as it's a newer offering.
View Quote
I just ordered the IWC from their website.  Seems like a good upgrade for only $25.  Thanks for pointing that out!
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:13:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Good buy.

Anything under $2k is a good deal.

Having just jumped into the scar money pit I'd get the Geissele trigger first - it's amazing. Keep an eye on brownells as they put it on sale often.

The PMM side rail deletes are amazing. The bottom one is too if you want to "slick it up"

Enjoy it!
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:34:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good buy.

Anything under $2k is a good deal.

Having just jumped into the scar money pit I'd get the Geissele trigger first - it's amazing. Keep an eye on brownells as they put it on sale often.

The PMM side rail deletes are amazing. The bottom one is too if you want to "slick it up"

Enjoy it!
View Quote
Thanks for the tip on brownells.  I'll have to keep an eye out for the trigger.  I'll upgrade the rails but I think I'll file a form 1 first.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:15:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Definitely get the form 1 going first.

Another thing that needs upgrading is the safeties. They are very hard to sweep off/on when prone. PMM makes several styles and options that work extremely well.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Another thing that needs upgrading is the safeties. They are very hard to sweep off/on when prone. PMM makes several styles and options that work extremely well.
View Quote
I was looking at those last night as well.  I also really like their QD sling mounts.  I swear this is going to end up costing me a lot more than my "great" price I paid for the gun
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is one thing I have never upgraded on my Scar's, I have never felt the need to improve them, I am however, open to the idea of having an excuse to buy something else for them lol.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I was looking at those last night as well.  I also really like their QD sling mounts.  I swear this is going to end up costing me a lot more than my "great" price I paid for the gun
View Quote
Oh yea, like anything else, there are lots of things that can easily add up to the cost of the gun itself if not more. The only ones that truly need to be done IMHO are the trigger, the charging handle, and some QD sling points. Everything else is secondary and end user dependent. I have nearly 150% more than the cost of the rifle in accessories/upgrades on my 16s, it's sickening when you see the actual numbers. I just remind my other half that at least I can recoup the majority of my investment and it's better than a gambling, drug, or hooker/stripper problem lol.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Oh yea, like anything else, there are lots of things that can easily add up to the cost of the gun itself if not more. The only ones that truly need to be done IMHO are the trigger, the charging handle, and some QD sling points. Everything else is secondary and end user dependent. I have nearly 150% more than the cost of the rifle in accessories/upgrades on my 16s, it's sickening when you see the actual numbers. I just remind my other half that at least I can recoup the majority of my investment and it's better than a gambling, drug, or hooker/stripper problem lol.
View Quote
Haha I always use that excuse.  She says it's getting old.  It should be delivered tomorrow and I'll try to pick it up asap.  I'll just add the optic and sandman flash hider and post a pic. I'll get my form1 done soon.  I haven't done any since 41f so I guess I'll have to get going on that.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This is one thing I have never upgraded on my Scar's, I have never felt the need to improve them, I am however, open to the idea of having an excuse to buy something else for them lol.
View Quote
Midway had the magpul safeties on sale for $9.

I like them more than stock
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#16]
$1900 is a deal.

It's a waiting game now on the actual condition..

I'd personally have looked for the iconic FDE one though.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#17]
$1900 is a deal.

It's a waiting game now on the actual condition..

I'd personally have looked for the iconic FDE one though.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Paint it.

This is fde and got painted

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:23:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Paint it.

This is fde and got painted

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/164007/IMG-2576-253323.JPG
View Quote
Your painted rifles always look good.  I may have to do it.  I have plenty of Cerakoted ARs but to paint a 2k rifle has always been hard for me to do. My SR15s are nice and black for the same problem.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I haven't changed much out on mine. I like it as is for the most part. All I did was change the grips and the muzzle break...

Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Picked up my scar today.  It looks almost perfect!  I'm so happy with it!!

I did go overboard and brought home a friend with it as well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:10:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I just sent my paperwork for my form1.  It's my first since 41f.  I hope it doesn't take too long.  Anyhoo, is PMM the best for a cut down job on a scar?? Anyone else the hive would recommend to do the work?

Pic for attention
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#23]
$1900 for a used black Scar is a good deal as long as it isn't beat to death.  Advantage Scar - they have long barrel and bolt life.

"Upgrades" I tried and didn't end up keeping ...

Different bolt handle;
Different safety levers;
Handle Defense lower (Scar-17);
Troy Micro sights.

I like my Scars to be bone stock save for ...

Optic (ACOG usually)
Geissele Super Scar Trigger

If I wanted to spend money on something else ...

Metal stock latch

They're pretty squared away for my uses.  I have no interest in rail delete kits, extended rails, non-recip charging handles, ambi charging handles, that hideous Vltor stock, etc.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:39:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I will admit I'm not a fan of the rear sight, but I also don't drink the KAC 600M rear sight koolaid.  I like a locking flip sight.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
$1900 for a used black Scar is a good deal as long as it isn't beat to death.  Advantage Scar - they have long barrel and bolt life.

"Upgrades" I tried and didn't end up keeping ...

Different bolt handle;
Different safety levers;
Handle Defense lower (Scar-17);
Troy Micro sights.

I like my Scars to be bone stock save for ...

Optic (ACOG usually)
Geissele Super Scar Trigger

If I wanted to spend money on something else ...

Metal stock latch

They're pretty squared away for my uses.  I have no interest in rail delete kits, extended rails, non-recip charging handles, ambi charging handles, that hideous Vltor stock, etc.
View Quote
I do like the idea of keeping mine relatively stock.  I did get a moe pistol grip and qd sling attachment points from PMM but I don't have plans for much else until my form 1 comes back.  I like the smoothness of the rail deletes looks wise but I'm liking the kac handstop currently so I'll probably just stick with that.  I'm going to save for the super scar trigger for sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top