User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 4:16:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The real thing here is belts. People expect their 7.62 to do what they've seen a 240 do.
View Quote
What experience do you have with either?  You've been called out more than once in the past for regurgitating internet and "my buddy says..." BS in the past without backing any of your purported information with experience...
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

What experience do you have with either?  You've been called out more than once in the past for regurgitating internet and "my buddy says..." BS in the past without backing any of your purported information with experience...
View Quote
Back when M193 and R1M1 were cheap I shot a lot of stuff with both including a black bear and a shit ton of mild steel. Then I had a friend in college who brought his post samples out to play. Then three professionally run ballistics labs. Then the Army.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#3]
if you can afford a SCAR17, go for it.

I actually have more in my custom AR-15 SBR that is my primary.

of course, I have a couple more primaries, so it's hard to tell which one I'm referring to..
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine is set up for long range with a NF scope and Super Scar trigger. I can bang steel out to 700 yards easily. My primary is a 5.56 SBR with a can. It's good for about 300 yards. I'm a bit long in the tooth to be schlepping the SCAR and mags. If I were younger......maybe
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#5]
"These bullets are just way too big for the apocalypse", said no one, ever.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:17:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Given the choice I don't think I would take the Scar 17 or other gas semi 762 rifle over a SBR'd 556 AR. The reasons why have already been covered. Now if I were part of team/group running recon or scout missions then I'd definitely consider it as a heavy battle or DMR stick but only because I could use it in a support role.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I panic bought a black SCAR 17 last year and have been slowly setting it up. I have a Geissele mount for a Vortex Razor HD 1x6 (don't have the optic yet), a sling, mags, Gemtech mount for the One and about 1K rounds of American Eagle 76251m1a ammo.

If HPA passes, I'll buy the One suppressor, if not either the Geissele Super SCAR or the Vortex Razor will be the next purchase.

This will be my primary Carbine
View Quote
Mounted the Razor 1x6 and need to sight it in

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#8]
This is my go to rifle still need a geissle trigger,suppressor and to sbr it

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I use my scar 17 as my go to rifle. I run 3 mags on my PC and 1 in my battle belt. If I need more than 5 mags immediately I've done something wrong.

Current lay out:
4x acog
Surefire suppressor
Atlas on Larue QD
Super scar trigger

Needs
WML
Extended Raíl
Acr stock
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
 I run 3 mags on my PC
+

and 1 in my battle belt.

=

If I need more than 5 mags
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 I run 3 mags on my PC
+

and 1 in my battle belt.

=

3 + 1 + 1 in the gun = 5
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
3 + 1 + 1 in the gun = 5
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
 I run 3 mags on my PC
+

and 1 in my battle belt.

=

3 + 1 + 1 in the gun = 5
HK94dude you math good.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:07:52 PM EDT
[#13]
There's a lot of butt hurt and posturing going on here.

What the question boils down to is this:

What, if anything does a 7.62 carbine gain you in the "primary weapon" role, however it is that you define it, that a 5.56 weapon cannot do.

Does this make up for the potential downsides? Namely being increased weight, recoil, muzzle blast, and length, along with reduced ammunition capacity, both in magazines, and carried, and usually requiring longer/heavier suppressors if you plan on suppressing.

How you answer the above questions will determine whether or not it's a "good idea" to switch to the SCAR-17.

What this is primarily going to come down to is how exactly you define the role of your "primary weapon," templated scenarios, adversaries, etc.

If you're just asking if it's okay for it to be your favorite rifle to shoot, and therefore to put you favorite general purpose optics, then you really don't need anyone's permission.

My personal opinion is that it's a poor choice for most individuals (not part of a group composition) in a non-military context (this includes LE), but everyone's situation, preferences, and perceived needs are different.

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There's a lot of butt hurt and posturing going on here.

What the question boils down to is this:

What, if anything does a 7.62 carbine gain you in the "primary weapon" role, however it is that you define it, that a 5.56 weapon cannot do.

Does this make up for the potential downsides? Namely being increased weight, recoil, muzzle blast, and length, along with reduced ammunition capacity, both in magazines, and carried, and usually requiring longer/heavier suppressors if you plan on suppressing.

How you answer the above questions will determine whether or not it's a "good idea" to switch to the SCAR-17.

What this is primarily going to come down to is how exactly you define the role of your "primary weapon," templated scenarios, adversaries, etc.

If you're just asking if it's okay for it to be your favorite rifle to shoot, and therefore to put you favorite general purpose optics, then you really don't need anyone's permission.

My personal opinion is that it's a poor choice for most individuals (not part of a group composition) in a non-military context (this includes LE), but everyone's situation, preferences, and perceived needs are different.

~Augee
View Quote
For me I look at it as a hunting rifle that I can feed myself with, and defend myself and others with from 2 legged and 4 legged predators. If I was only worried about 2 legged threats I'm picking an 11.5" ar with a wml, and aimpoint micro.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
increased recoil, muzzle blast

and usually requiring longer/heavier suppressors if you plan on suppressing.
View Quote
not my scar

worth every mm/oz

pick whatever caliber work for you.  if you think a .22 caliber beats a .30 caliber,  awesome.

.308 turns cover into concealment
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:02:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There are relatively few targets that you can penetrate with 7.62 and can't penetrate with 5.56.
View Quote
I'll take my MK319 handloads flying at 2800 FPS out of my 13.5 (cut down and pinned) 17.  There's a bunch of stuff that this load will penetrate that most 556 loads can't.  For an urban situation, I'll take the SCAR.  

If I was bugging out with my woman, we'd take our SR15's with my 75 Gr Hornady loads.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
not my scar

worth every mm/oz

pick whatever caliber work for you.  if you think a .22 caliber beats a .30 caliber,  awesome.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
not my scar

worth every mm/oz

Not sure if serious or joke post...

Enjoy the "knockdown power."

Quoted:
For me I look at it as a hunting rifle that I can feed myself with, and defend myself and others with from 2 legged and 4 legged predators. If I was only worried about 2 legged threats I'm picking an 11.5" ar with a wml, and aimpoint micro.
I wasn't necessarily asking anyone to justify what their definition of "primary rifle" was individually, simply that the decision should be made based on what is gained versus what is lost depending on how the user saw the "role" of a particular weapon.

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Man this thread really has turned into a pissing match and penis measuring contest.  The answer to this question cannot be answered in a forum on the internet.  It comes down to the purpose that primary user will use the primary rifle for.  If you are expecting longer shots where 5.56 will not cut it yes the 17 would be a good option.  If you are expecting to carry shit tons of ammo the 17 is a bad choice because the weight per round will be much higher.  If we are talking civil war breaks out tomorrow and you and a squad of guys set out to defend your homeland it comes down to your roll in that squad.  We can argue about this for years and years but both 5.56 and 7.62 have a role just depends on what the role is.  I will say the SCAR 17 does give you the light portable carbine, with extended range, better penetration, and compact design if need be.  It does have draw backs with more recoil, more blast and limited ammo carrying capabilities.  Maybe the answer here is both can be your primary depending on the role you are looking it to fill.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd consider the 17 as a primary just because I like it so much.  Still not sure what optic...
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 3:15:49 AM EDT
[#20]
It’s a tool, just like any other weapon. Some are suited to multiple applications better than others. There isn’t really a perfect answer to the original question.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top