Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 12:01:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Hard to believe I started this thread almost 2 months ago.  Received some great advice and responses and for those I am thankful.   I have looked at a lot of guns since I started this thread and expanded my options to see what was out there.   It was a learning experience for sure and I am glad I remained patient.  I found that many of the Colt M16A1's out there for sale by both dealer and individual are priced at ridiculously high prices.  These are the guns that are not selling.  The guns priced right in decent shape are snapped up quick.  So I reviewed M16A1 rifles and carbines that have been sold in the last 12 months on sites like Sturm and Gunspot and got a pretty good idea of what I thought that sweet spot was on a decent gun.  I even reached out to Ruben on a couple Sendra and Oly's he has.  Very cool guy and easy to talk to.  He had an Oly he was trying to sell me but he has had it for sale for almost 2 years and honestly did not come down much on original asking price.  In the end it was no bargain for me even with the discount so I passed.  Needless to say my journey led me back to where I started and today I bought my first machine gun.

I ended up buying the M16A1 Carbine that I had posted on here previously.  As some keen eye posters had noted on the earlier pics I posted the original barrel has been cut down.  Initially that was a turn off for me but I discovered a few guns that had sold for pretty good money that had original barrels cut down.  I did have the dealer check the staking in the end plate on the stock and he sent me pics and the staking looks original.  I had kept in touch with the dealer waiting for him to post it online.  Today he posted it and I snatched it up at what I feel is a very fair price.  I got a Carbine at a Rifle price so I am happy.  Rock Island Auction had a Carbine in similar condition sell this past weekend at auction for $37,375

Anyways I am very excited and know now the long NFA wait begins.  Plan on getting a can soon to go with it since that will be another Form 4 and wait.  Here are a couple new pics:

Link Posted: 6/9/2020 1:29:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations.  Now, you need to buy ammo.  LOTS of ammo.  

Link Posted: 6/9/2020 1:52:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you sir.  I actually started buying ammo last week.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 4:20:27 AM EDT
[#4]
That Rock Island Auction was crazy over priced.. MGs were extremely overpriced.. Scars were selling over MSRP!
Though I did buy a MG on it but way under their appraised price.. Even then I figured out final price was about a few hundred over what I could have gotten from Sturmgewehr. It was in good condition so no regrets. Just hope it shoots without issues..
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Congrats! Nice looking MG.

Just out of curiosity how much did you pay? I try to keep a running price guide of M16s, it’s nice to know what the going rate is to help out other folks new to the game.

Also, auction prices are often crazy. People get in bidding wars and would rather pay 50% over the asking price than allow their ego to be bruised by losing an auction. That and a lot of times people spend weeks dreaming about a gun they see online and become attached. In the flip side I’ve seen MGs go for thousands under asking price and I think to myself “dang, wish I would have see that auction”
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Congrats! Nice looking MG.

Just out of curiosity how much did you pay? I try to keep a running price guide of M16s, it’s nice to know what the going rate is to help out other folks new to the game.

Also, auction prices are often crazy. People get in bidding wars and would rather pay 50% over the asking price than allow their ego to be bruised by losing an auction. That and a lot of times people spend weeks dreaming about a gun they see online and become attached. In the flip side I’ve seen MGs go for thousands under asking price and I think to myself “dang, wish I would have see that auction”
View Quote

Thanks.  Sent you PM.  Your right about the auction stuff.  You could get a NIB M16A2 for what that guy paid on that M16A1 carbine.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That Rock Island Auction was crazy over priced.. MGs were extremely overpriced.. Scars were selling over MSRP!
Though I did buy a MG on it but way under their appraised price.. Even then I figured out final price was about a few hundred over what I could have gotten from Sturmgewehr. It was in good condition so no regrets. Just hope it shoots without issues..
View Quote

Your right.  People paid insane prices on some of the machine guns.  I had 3 guns I was watching and one was on Fridays auction.  I was watching it live on the computer and after seeing how much over it went I knew I would not be bidding on anything.  Plus you add the 15% buyers premium and sales tax to applicable states it makes a good deal just average by the time you add those additional fees.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats OP on your purchase, Love the Colt M-16A1. I bought mine around 2010 for 14k and it's the same as yours pictured. Maybe buy all new parts from Specialized Armament and take what you have and place those parts in a baggie till you sell the gun one day. Shoot only good quality brass ammo. It's just not worth a kaboom! I have a Gen 5 Ares upper with a heat sink and have shot maybe 10k of ammo in both the 16" and 12.5" bbl.'s, just a lot of fun. Again Congrats!
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Congrats OP on your purchase, Love the Colt M-16A1. I bought mine around 2010 for 14k and it's the same as yours pictured. Maybe buy all new parts from Specialized Armament and take what you have and place those parts in a baggie till you sell the gun one day. Shoot only good quality brass ammo. It's just not worth a kaboom! I have a Gen 5 Ares upper with a heat sink and have shot maybe 10k of ammo in both the 16" and 12.5" bbl.'s, just a lot of fun. Again Congrats!
View Quote

Thanks brother and I will definitely take your advice on getting parts from Specialized Armament.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Your right.  People paid insane prices on some of the machine guns.  I had 3 guns I was watching and one was on Fridays auction.  I was watching it live on the computer and after seeing how much over it went I knew I would not be bidding on anything.  Plus you add the 15% buyers premium and sales tax to applicable states it makes a good deal just average by the time you add those additional fees.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Actually you should calculate it to be 18%.. 15% for buyers premium + 1% live bidding + 2% for shipping/misc + Sales Tax if applicable.

Quoted:

Dang.. I wish I bought it back then.  It's way more now. The cheapest thing I see around was a Colt AR-15 SP1 for over $16k.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Speaking of ammo between Covid in the Spring and now all the protests 5.56/223 is selling at ridiculous prices if you can find any in stock.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I can find the ammo.. But don't want to pay $100 over cost for a case.
Just wait abs it will drop again.

Get into reloading to save more.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Daniel Defense did, at one time, manufacture large hole upper receivers. I have a DD along with a couple of Colt large hole uppers that have had the sear relief cut machined to function on my SP1 RR.

Grab a few offset adapter pins for standard .250" uppers and I'm set, but the adapter pins will loosen up so I check them often.

My SP1 conversion was done by Hard Times Armory and my buddy owns a LaFrance, both run great in a variety of calibers. In my view as long as the sear pin hole is in the correct spot everything else is GTG, it is a Colt receiver after all. Compared to some of the other crap conversions I've seen I'm happy with my no fence fat pin receiver.

Good luck with your quest.
View Quote

They still make them, but they're not cheap. I've got a couple of them, plus a few A1 slickside and A1 w/forward assist and A2 big pivot Colt uppers so I'm set.

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/AR15-FLAT-TOP-BIG-HOLE-UPPER-RECEIVER-FOR-COLT-SP1-p6743.htm

I too am happy with my SP1 lower. Having an A1-type lower comes in handy with an XM177-style upper.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 11:25:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I got my SP1 just recently.  Also done by HT Armory.
Really nice work done by then with the sear.  Added a Geissele and it fits nicely.  Just waiting to take it out.

I feel evil though.. Updated with the latest modern stuff.. But kept the original stuff to go back to retro if I want.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#15]
FYI I implemented my first trial of making the SP1 large pin a fast disconnect vs needing a screwdriver.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Found-a-great-solution-to-Colt-SP1-large-pivot-hole-making-it-a-fast-disconnect-/23-513292/
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top