User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also you being the owner of the broken buffer does not make my article wrong...I just now know who keeps posting
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Also you being the owner of the broken buffer does not make my article wrong...I just now know who keeps posting
there are two buffers that broke. Can you not see that?

Quoted:
the same pic up, every time the subject of Hydraulic buffer comes up! Its been 10 years, We get it, you don't like Hydraulic buffers.
my two that broke is invalid vs your one because you've only seen 1 picture?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 5:12:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:29:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Got a chance to get this data. (14.5 mid)
LC M855 used in all testing.  Notice no compensator either.
Baseline, H2 buffer and white Sprinco spring (in carbine buffer tube).  839 RPM.
http://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/14-5Mid_H2-WhiteSprinco-1024x427.jpg

Same exact setup but tried swapping for the FerFrans BCG:...682 RPM....157 RPM reduction...but kinda bouncy like I mentioned before.
http://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/14-5Mid_H2-WhiteSprincoFerFrans-1024x380.jpg

My current favorite buffer/spring/tube setups (A5 buffer tube, 556 Tubb flatwire spring, and 9mm Blitzkrieg/Kynshot buffer).  636 RPM and smoother than the FerFrans.  203 RPM reduction from baseline.
http://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/14-5Mid_556Tubb_A5_9mmKynshot-1024x501.jpg

Just for yucks I tried using the FerFrans with this setup anticipating it wouldn't run like it didn't when I tried in my MK18 but to my surprise it ran all 10 rounds but kinda bouncy again.
Coming in super slow at 474 RPM though wow...365 RPM reduction from baseline!!!  
I only fired those 10 rounds and didn't have time to do more extended testing.
http://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/14-5Mid_556Tubb_A5_9mmKynshot-FerFrans-1024x511.jpg
View Quote
Wonderful info, thank you so much for doing that testing! That was really cool of you.

I'm very impressed with how much RPM reduction the hydraulic buffer is able to achieve - thats nearly as much reduction as advertised with Surefire's new Optimized Bolt Carrier - which is $400.

I'm curious, have you done any testing to see how ROF effects FA accuracy / group size?

For example, if 850rpm = 6rds in a 12" group at 25yd vs 630rpm = 8" at 25yd, etc.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 7:44:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm curious, have you done any testing to see how ROF effects FA accuracy / group size?

For example, if 850rpm = 6rds in a 12" group at 25yd vs 630rpm = 8" at 25yd, etc.
View Quote
Sorry, no not yet.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sorry, no not yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, no not yet.
Once again, I really appreciate the testing you've already done.

You're the first on the internet with this sort of detailed RPM testing.

If you do get a chance to do FA accuracy testing, that would be super cool.

FA has been derided as "ineffective," and as a result, Assault Rifles are being used as 5.56 battle rifles - semi auto only - negating 1/2 of the goal of the original sturmgewehr concept.

My hypothesis is that this is largely due to most Assault Rifles having too high rof (800-1000rpm), and that if the ROF were turned down to a more manageable ~600rpm, practical FA accuracy will increase, especially if paired with a compensator like the Warcomp.

But, lacking my own registered lower, you're my only hope for finding out if this is the case.

If your results are positive, this could be a basis for designing a future "M4A2" that combines the URGI upgrades with enhanced FA performance.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I’ve received an email from rally point saying that Ferfrans won’t be selling their bolt carrier any more. I

If anyone has one they want to sell, I will pay handsomely for it. I really want to try one.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've received an email from rally point saying that Ferfrans won't be selling their bolt carrier any more. I

If anyone has one they want to sell, I will pay handsomely for it. I really want to try one.
View Quote
That sucks...I'm not using mine but don't want to sell it either since it took so long to get one and I'm always tinkering so like to keep things like that around for testing various configurations.  
You could always just get the 9mm Colt weight and modify it and a carrier to do your own.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 1:54:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Surefire OBC - LS is going to be shipping soon also, I called surefire and got on there shipping list.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey Amphian,Stukas87:

Do you know  FerFran rate reducer is effective with a Vltor A5 EMOD complete stock system?
I tried the FerFran with my VltorA5 system and 14.5" colt upper....and rate of fire was too slow.  I felt it was going in slow motion. Probably high 400 to low 500. I dont have a shot timer to confirm the RATE of FIRE.
The buffer was H1 at 4.56oz (Vltor A5 buffer)....

Anyway to keep the FerFran RRS and increase the ROF just a little bit?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hey Amphian,Stukas87:

Do you know  FerFran rate reducer is effective with a Vltor A5 EMOD complete stock system?
I tried the FerFran with my VltorA5 system and 14.5" colt upper....and rate of fire was too slow.  I felt it was going in slow motion. Probably high 400 to low 500. I dont have a shot timer to confirm the RATE of FIRE.
The buffer was H1 at 4.56oz (Vltor A5 buffer)....

Anyway to keep the FerFran RRS and increase the ROF just a little bit?

Thanks
View Quote
I find the FerFran is too bouncy in full auto...like it is a timing issue.
I haven't had time to get too deep into details on my site but at this link I go over what I think is the best: http://c3junkie.com/?page_id=654
Basically, I think you can get close to the same performance as an A5 just by using the Tubb flat spring that works in carbine or rifle buffer tube...an A5 is in the middle so works with that too.
I use the Kynshot 9mm hydraulic buffer + A5 + 556 Tubb flat spring.  See my results at the link above.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the info!!! Going to that page now!

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:30:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Because of some design restraints, I am working with a PWD length recoil system. I was wondering about replacing the PDW recoil spring system with thea shorten Tubbs spring. I would think that if the closed pressure of the shortened Tubbs spring was somewhere between 8 and 9 lbs it might run a little smoother. I don't know as the .308 Kinshot buffer is short enough for use with the PDW system. Has anyone taken a Kinshot buffer apart?  I was hoping that the hydraulic system was at one end and the Kinshot could be shortened on the other.   Any one know?  I think the results have some parity between the standard carbine buffer system and the A5. So I was hoping to go even shorter with the PDW.

Scott
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I purchase three Ferfran bolt from Rally Point about a year  ago.

(Edited by mod)
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 12:29:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes they were mine. I posted about it in the AR forum they didn't last for shit.
View Quote
I tried one, one time. It was unreliable. Factory stock sabre defense A2 rifle. Buffer was too long or something, as I recall, and also wouldn't run anything without malfunctioning. Even m855. Never tried them again.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top