Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2017 1:36:16 AM EDT
Has anyone looked at the POF Revolution?  It's a 7.62x51 on an 556 frame.  

I have NOT seen one, and I don't know exactly what parts interchange.  Hence this thread.  

I wonder with some receiver milling with a compatible carrier, it could accept a LL or sear.  

Anyone have the same thoughts?   I may have to buy one just to see if it will accept a modified Colt burst kit.  I have a LL.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#1]
First I've heard of it. I just looked it up. Its still a 308 receiver. You can't fit 308 round in a magazine throught a 5.56 mag well. I would think most AR-10 type guns would take a RDIAS or a RLL. I'm not sure of the legality of that though. 308 might be too much for a RLL.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:06:44 PM EDT
[#2]
If I'm remembering correctly, Quarterbore had a webpage where he was looking at 308 applications.  I don't remember anything else.  

Do you think there is too much energy for the LL in the 308 platform?

I mis-worded the receiver part.   It's a 308 receiver, wondering if the trigger group is the same as 556.  I'm intrigued because the Revolution uses the same carrier as 556.  I wonder how much milled would need to be done to make it compatible with a LL (it's a piston set up).  

Yea.  I know.   I'd shoot it a couple of times on auto and never do it again.  It would be a beating.   I've shot a full auto SCAR 17.  Fun but not something I want to do often.  The difference is that I can't own the FN, but do own a LL.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:07:15 PM EDT
[#3]
The Colt 901 takes a DIAS, not sure about a LL. But it is a 556 or 308 platform, has this replaceable? mag well that can be adapted to either round.

I am under the impression it is still a AR15 and therefore legal and mechanically sound to use a RDIAS.

This sounds similar in that is a AR15, but is chambered in 308.  

"This is truly an AR15 that shoots in .308!"

If so, I suspect it would also qualify for a RDIAS. I would ask POF.

I have considered a 901 just so I could say I could FA sling 308, but this POF is a option I would probably prefer it is a go for RDIAS because I don't need to do both 556/308 out of the same platform ala the 901.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Colt 901 takes a DIAS, not sure about a LL. But it is a 556 or 308 platform, has this replaceable? mag well that can be adapted to either round.

I am under the impression it is still a AR15 and therefore legal and mechanically sound to use a RDIAS.

This sounds similar in that is a AR15, but is chambered in 308.  

"This is truly an AR15 that shoots in .308!"

If so, I suspect it would also qualify for a RDIAS. I would ask POF.

I have considered a 901 just so I could say I could FA sling 308, but this POF is a option I would probably prefer it is a go for RDIAS because I don't need to do both 556/308 out of the same platform ala the 901.
View Quote
I have the 901 and it is totally RDIAS compatible.  I've never tried a LL as I don't own one, but if you modified the carrier, I don't see why it wouldn't work.  

The back half of the lower receiver is sized the same as an AR15.  It's only bigger from the magwell forward.  It's a hybrid of the two.  This means that the charging handle and the .308 bolt carrier are unique/proprietary (not the same as AR10 or AR15 but somewhere between the two).  Also, you can put any (pretty much) AR15 upper on the 901 and maintain the RDIAS compatibility.  Because of the unique geometry of the front takedown pin(s), you may need to modify the bottom of your float tube/rail just a bit for clearance.  I had an old Troy MRF and a later LWRC (that's much like the Troy) and both needed a bit of a chamfer on the bottom rail but it was no big deal at all.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I am a Colt fan for sure.  I like the POF as well, because of parts compatibility.  I don't think I'll ever use the same rifle for 762 and 556.  I'd just get another rifle out of the safe.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#6]
If anyone is inclined to ask POF about the mechanical and legal compatibly of the POF Revolution, please report back.

I am interested in getting one if it is GTG, but not motivated enough to ask at the moment.

EDIT: With DIAS
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:34:40 PM EDT
[#7]
If I recall correctly, the lightning link requires a special Colt SP1 BCG, so unless you plan on having a custom 308 carrier made I don't see how it would be compatible.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry with DIAS for the POF is my question.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I recall correctly, the lightning link requires a special Colt SP1 BCG, so unless you plan on having a custom 308 carrier made I don't see how it would be compatible.
View Quote
That's the crux of my question.  Since this POF Revolution uses the exact same carrier as a 556, it's a good possibility.  

However.   From reading their product page, the carrier is of the pistol variety.   So I'd have to get their piston carrier milled.

I've had a carrier milled to be LL compatible.   Didn't take long at all.  Cost wasn't prohibitive either.

Edit.  All this means nothing if the rifle ain't worth it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:11:51 PM EDT
[#10]
This thread is relevant to my interests since I just bought a LL this past weekend, so I've been looking around for compatible lower information, uppers, info, etc.  It comes with a working host but the thing I like about the LL is the versatility so I plan on shooting different calibers. I have a long wait ahead of me so I have some time to gather the info and wait for feedback as people find out more. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I still haven't bought one.  

If you want some biased advice on a LL, PM me.   It's contrary to what you'll find every where else.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 3:46:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I know this is an old thread...but did anyone ever contact POF about legality of using a (legally registered) conversion device RDIAS/LL?
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I never asked.   I was concerned running a potentially thin walled bolt in full auto.

However.   More I thought of it, wasn’t worth the effort to ask.   I’d run it in auto.   It’s an AR.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top