User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I’m in too... but when did that happen?

It hasn’t even received ATF approval yet. It’s a proof of concept at this point.
View Quote
The initial version has approval. The second more pleasing to the eye (if possible) version is waiting approval. No changes had been made other than aesthetics.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It hasn’t even received ATF approval yet. It’s a proof of concept at this point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Says you. Probably increased the value of a M10 for 25% or more. It’s now a viable centerfire option.

My understanding is that the device was approved as a prototype and they are awaiting approval for the final version. The long and short of the approval will turn on whether the device will allow full auto function in the absence of a registered receiver. Funny enough, as to the aesthetics, it looks allot like a cross between a FAL and a Beretta ARX.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I meant when did M10’s go up by 25% in the last few weeks?

And approved but waiting for approval... my bad.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:57:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I meant when did M10’s go up by 25% in the last few weeks?

And approved but waiting for approval... my bad.
View Quote
I was only speculating that we’d see a massive jump in value of the M10 since the addition of the adapter and Lage products renders it a much more attractive machine gun than before.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was only speculating that we’d see a massive jump in value of the M10 since the addition of the adapter and Lage products renders it a much more attractive machine gun than before.
View Quote
Someone close to lage also dropped a pic of a M10 lage upper as well. So it’s coming.

Stolen from uzitalk.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:53:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Someone close to lage also dropped a pic of a M10 lage upper as well. So it's coming.

Stolen from uzitalk.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/424008/12B5AFC2-3FDD-42EA-BB18-402561470752_jpeg-760078.JPG
View Quote
Now that does look like a viable option but it also doesn't look like it takes standard A.R.15 uppers welcome to the world of trade-offs
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 5:24:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:25:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Now that does look like a viable option but it also doesn't look like it takes standard A.R.15 uppers welcome to the world of trade-offs
View Quote
Yeah it is a stand-alone upper but does take standard AR parts as far as bolt, barrel etc....
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:25:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Someone close to lage also dropped a pic of a M10 lage upper as well. So it’s coming.

Stolen from uzitalk.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/424008/12B5AFC2-3FDD-42EA-BB18-402561470752_jpeg-760078.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Stolen from uzitalk.

Those are so much more aesthetically pleasing.

Quoted:
I wonder what Ernie Wrenn thinks about all of this.
Agreed. I do worry that ATF will change their opinion on these MAC uppers, as they’ve done in the past with the brp mg34 AR upper, Akins accelerator, among others.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:20:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Those are so much more aesthetically pleasing.

Agreed. I do worry that ATF will change their opinion on these MAC uppers, as they’ve done in the past with the brp mg34 AR upper, Akins accelerator, among others.
View Quote
BRP brought a Title I firearm to market.  It was never an "upper".  So it was always one too many firearms firing more than one round per pull of the trigger.  I can not speak to the Atkins Accelerator being submitted.  I think since SIG sued and won, the FATD is on notice that their decisions must be based in the law, not whim.  The versatility of the M16 is why it was my first machinegun.  There aren't many machineguns below $10,000.  A Lightning Link is $15,000 or more.  That is the lowest cost match winning subgun and rifle caliber machinegun.  Now the Mac style series of registered receiver, for half the cost of the LL, can win a subgun match and fire rifle calibers.  Ugly or not, the Tenko 10-16 has the basic function of a M16 RR for half the market value of a M16 RR.  The Tenko 10-16 is for those that don't have the money for an actual M16.

Scott
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:38:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

BRP brought a Title I firearm to market.  It was never an "upper".  So it was always one too many firearms firing more than one round per pull of the trigger.  I can not speak to the Atkins Accelerator being submitted.  I think since SIG sued and won, the FATD is on notice that their decisions must be based in the law, not whim.  The versatility of the M16 is why it was my first machinegun.  There aren't many machineguns below $10,000.  A Lightning Link is $15,000 or more.  That is the lowest cost match winning subgun and rifle caliber machinegun.  Now the Mac style series of registered receiver, for half the cost of the LL, can win a subgun match and fire rifle calibers.  Ugly or not, the Tenko 10-16 has the basic function of a M16 RR for half the market value of a M16 RR.  The Tenko 10-16 is for those that don't have the money for an actual M16.

Scott
View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 7:38:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Delete.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I would guess if they had designed it for a side cocking AR upper, it could be somewhat more aesthetically pleasing...

but $3k for an adapter?  that is nuts.  Lage gets you a complete upper ready to rock and roll for $2500.  If the adapter was $1500, I would be all over it.   But then again I do have an FNC, paid $6k back in 2010-2011...
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would guess if they had designed it for a side cocking AR upper, it could be somewhat more aesthetically pleasing...

but $3k for an adapter?  that is nuts.  Lage gets you a complete upper ready to rock and roll for $2500.  If the adapter was $1500, I would be all over it.   But then again I do have an FNC, paid $6k back in 2010-2011...
View Quote
You might want to check your sources.  The Lage Max-11/15 http://www.max-11.com/MAX1115IRMUpper.html is $2,995.00 not $2,500.  You are absolutely right, that you can shoot the Lage right out of the box, and the Tenko 10-16 adapter would need an upper and a stock.  If all you want to shoot is 5.56X45 from a 10.5" barrel then the Max-11/15 is a greater value.  But if you want the basic function of a M16 with a M10 registered receiver, so you can change calibers by pushing two pins.  Have full auto closed bolt .22lr, 9 mm, 5.56X45, 300 BLK OUT, 7.62X39 or any other caliber that a M16 RR can be used with, full auto using the Tenko 10-16 and a M10 RR then the Tenko adapter would be a greater value.  What has greater value to each owner is for them to decide.  Personally, I think the Max-11/15 is a great product.  And of course the best answer is get both.  The M16 was my first machinegun and would be the last I would sell because of the versatility.  YMMV.

Scott
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You might want to check your sources.  The Lage Max-11/15 http://www.max-11.com/MAX1115IRMUpper.html is $2,995.00 not $2,500.  You are absolutely right, that you can shoot the Lage right out of the box, and the Tenko 10-16 adapter would need an upper and a stock.  If all you want to shoot is 5.56X45 from a 10.5" barrel then the Max-11/15 is a greater value.  But if you want the basic function of a M16 with a M10 registered receiver, so you can change calibers by pushing two pins.  Have full auto closed bolt .22lr, 9 mm, 5.56X45, 300 BLK OUT, 7.62X39 or any other caliber that a M16 RR can be used with, full auto using the Tenko 10-16 and a M10 RR then the Tenko adapter would be a greater value.  What has greater value to each owner is for them to decide.  Personally, I think the Max-11/15 is a great product.  And of course the best answer is get both.  The M16 was my first machinegun and would be the last I would sell because of the versatility.  YMMV.

Scott
View Quote
Not to mention that uppers can be had in the $200 range or below.  While the M10 isn't the prettiest it has a Friedrich Nietzsche quality of elegance about it....form shall follow function.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed, it’s grossly overpriced. Almost half the cost of a Mac for the ability for push pins? For the vast majority of guys who casually shoot FA 5.56, swapping multiple uppers just isn’t a necessity (or even a want). 500 or so rounds a session through a dedicated upper is a lot. If someone has the funds to be shooting more than that every time out, I’m going to assume they aren’t messing around with a M10 and some contraption.

I have a strong hunch that had Lage priced the 11/15 at $1.5k or $3.5k, the 10/45 gizmo would have followed either price point. Lage went with $3k and a month and a half after the 11/15 release, here comes a product — albeit one claimed not to be in direct competition with It — that is priced exactly the same. And I’m supposed to believe that R&D, materials, fabrication, marketing, related costs, and target profit margin just so happen to be identical with both products?

No chance.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:33:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Value is subjective. It’s worth what people will pay. Yay capitalism.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't think u guys realize how much r&d is, in addition to all the money paid to a machine shop to fabricate and demo. Then u add in the time and risk mailing to the atf approval, so yea theres going to be money involved. If you're bitching about costs, move on and go buy yiur registered receiver or dias. This gives more flexibility and options for mac owners, which is a great thing. The community needs to grow and bitching just discourages innovation. Name another mg platform that offers this versatility (besides a m16 and hk sear) at this price point? It may not be ideal for folks who bought macs at 5-7k, but for those who scrimped and pinched to buy their first full auto years ago, this is a God send.

Im going to try my damndest to get it working with a lakeside beltfed. If people can get it work with shrikes, ill prob dedicate it to that too. Or the fm9. My brain is spinnig at the possibilities
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Value is subjective.
View Quote
No question. (I just refuse to put IMHO, YMMV, my .02 and all that because it’s a given, and therefore redundant. Of course when somone posts it’s that person’s opinion and that everyone has varying experiences.)
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Drum Dumps A&S Conversions Tenko 10-16 Adapter To be sold by Practical Solutions
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Christmas Tree Hunting in East Tennessee
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 6:01:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't think u guys realize how much r&d is, in addition to all the money paid to a machine shop to fabricate and demo. Then u add in the time and risk mailing to the atf approval, so yea theres going to be money involved. If you're bitching about costs, move on and go buy yiur registered receiver or dias. This gives more flexibility and options for mac owners, which is a great thing. The community needs to grow and bitching just discourages innovation. Name another mg platform that offers this versatility (besides a m16 and hk sear) at this price point? It may not be ideal for folks who bought macs at 5-7k, but for those who scrimped and pinched to buy their first full auto years ago, this is a God send.

Im going to try my damndest to get it working with a lakeside beltfed. If people can get it work with shrikes, ill prob dedicate it to that too. Or the fm9. My brain is spinnig at the possibilities
View Quote
I'm not an accountant and I don't play one on the internet, but it is my understanding that there are very generous tax write offs from R&D expenses, especially under the new Trump tax bill.  I believe there is more of a cash flow issue; that is, one needs the cash to do the R&D before one can take advantage of the tax relief.  And of course the risk factors make getting outside investors very difficult.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm not an accountant and I don't play one on the internet, but it is my understanding that there are very generous tax write offs from R&D expenses, especially under the new Trump tax bill.  I believe there is more of a cash flow issue; that is, one needs the cash to do the R&D before one can take advantage of the tax relief.  And of course the risk factors make getting outside investors very difficult.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
View Quote
Lets be clear, if expenses are tax deductible, you don't pay tax on that money.  Currently, between what we have already spent and what we have ordered, we have over $100,000 in this project.  Then there is time; I have well over 2,000 hours in this project with several more hundred to go, all while working my full time job.  So from my perspective, that is all overtime.  I also don't work for minimum wage.  Would you begrudge me my wage?  Yes, $2,995 for just an adapter is a lot of money.  If you already own a M16, the adapter was not designed for you.  But if you are someone where the M10 or M11/NINE is your only machinegun and you want the functionality of a M16 or you are priced out of a M16 but they can come up with around half that, the functionality of a M16 is possible.

As far as investment, most are aware of shows like "Dragon's Den" and "Shark Tank".  If not look it up.  From the research I have done, the shows are very generous.  Most investing in such a niche market would want 3/4 ownership or more. So we would do all of this to make someone else money.  We are fortunate enough to be in a place that we can come up with the funds on our own, so we have taken on the whole risk.  I am closing in on retirement.  $100,000 is an enormous amount of money to us.  We hope that we make a profit.  But there is no guarantee.

As far as aesthetics, it is what it is.  We have tried to do what we could.  This is an adapter, not a ground up firearm design.  But we have three units that have 10,000 rounds of use and have run great. I love sharing my full auto with other shooters.  My first machinegun was a Colt M16.  Now we can give a similar experience I had to other shooters that might not be able to afford a M16.  I get that the look is unusual, but it has grown on me over time.  The function is what really counts to me.  My firearms are tools more than collector items.  YMMV.

Scott
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Lets be clear, if expenses are tax deductible, you don't pay tax on that money.  Currently, between what we have already spent and what we have ordered, we have over $100,000 in this project.  Then there is time; I have well over 2,000 hours in this project with several more hundred to go, all while working my full time job.  So from my perspective, that is all overtime.  I also don't work for minimum wage.  Would you begrudge me my wage?  Yes, $2,995 for just an adapter is a lot of money.  If you already own a M16, the adapter was not designed for you.  But if you are someone where the M10 or M11/NINE is your only machinegun and you want the functionality of a M16 or you are priced out of a M16 but they can come up with around half that, the functionality of a M16 is possible.

As far as investment, most are aware of shows like "Dragon's Den" and "Shark Tank".  If not look it up.  From the research I have done, the shows are very generous.  Most investing in such a niche market would want 3/4 ownership or more. So we would do all of this to make someone else money.  We are fortunate enough to be in a place that we can come up with the funds on our own, so we have taken on the whole risk.  I am closing in on retirement.  $100,000 is an enormous amount of money to us.  We hope that we make a profit.  But there is no guarantee.

As far as aesthetics, it is what it is.  We have tried to do what we could.  This is an adapter, not a ground up firearm design.  But we have three units that have 10,000 rounds of use and have run great. I love sharing my full auto with other shooters.  My first machinegun was a Colt M16.  Now we can give a similar experience I had to other shooters that might not be able to afford a M16.  I get that the look is unusual, but it has grown on me over time.  The function is what really counts to me.  My firearms are tools more than collector items.  YMMV.

Scott
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MHO, YMMV, etc.

Scott
Thank you for the insight

Are you planing anything else for the MG world?
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I’m excited and won’t be sad if people change their minds. At least I can send you my money faster!!! I hope you get approval and to market by your estimation. Thank you. And thank you for taking time, monetary risk, and thinking outside the box for our hobby.  Options are good.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Scott
View Quote
Think I asked this on uzitalk but does the adapter come with the canted stock adapter?

And my only question and or suggestion would be why no paddle mag release? Seems like it would be a lot more intuitive.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 10:51:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Absolutely, but I don't want to get ahead of myself.  There are so many possibilities.  I'll let you think about the possibilities.  If we are successful with the Tenko, we certainly don't want to stop there.  If we can work out the details, I think I have another idea with even more possibilities than the Tenko.  Time will tell.

Quoted:

Think I asked this on uzitalk but does the adapter come with the canted stock adapter?

And my only question and or suggestion would be why no paddle mag release? Seems like it would be a lot more intuitive.
The basic kit comes with an angled stock adapter.  Since the Tenko adapter doesn't need an AR stock to function, I have no idea what the end user wants to use for a stock.  The bolt pattern would allow for use with Lage or ACE style stocks or an AR stock adapter.  You do have a good point about a paddle mag release.  The problem is developing a custom made AR paddle mag release, would have been that much more for R&D and production costs for not only the parts but redesigning the magwell for those parts.  Off the shelf is so much less expensive than custom made.  Price is already an issue.  We are including an ambi mag release, which helps.  With such small quantities an extra $250 for a customized designed paddle mag release, would not go over well.

Scott
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Absolutely, but I don't want to get ahead of myself.  There are so many possibilities.  I'll let you think about the possibilities.  If we are successful with the Tenko, we certainly don't want to stop there.  If we can work out the details, I think I have another idea with even more possibilities than the Tenko.  Time will tell.

The basic kit comes with an angled stock adapter.  Since the Tenko adapter doesn't need an AR stock to function, I have no idea what the end user wants to use for a stock.  The bolt pattern would allow for use with Lage or ACE style stocks or an AR stock adapter.  You do have a good point about a paddle mag release.  The problem is developing a custom made AR paddle mag release, would have been that much more for R&D and production costs for not only the parts but redesigning the magwell for those parts.  Off the shelf is so much less expensive than custom made.  Price is already an issue.  We are including an ambi mag release, which helps.  With such small quantities an extra $250 for a customized designed paddle mag release, would not go over well.

Scott
View Quote
Guess you can do that on the Gen 2 design.

I would also like to see a AK magwell adapter Tenko. Maybe after 5-10yrs when you adapter has flooded the market and sales easy up drop those for sale.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I’m curious how the M11/9 adapter will look. Since the receiver is longer in the back they may not have to cant the M11/9 lower like the m10 version. Maybe it will look like the Max 11/15.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I would also like to see a AK magwell adapter Tenko. Maybe after 5-10yrs when you adapter has flooded the market and sales easy up drop those for sale.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wouldn't an actual AK version be better?  Just a thought.

Quoted:
I’m curious how the M11/9 adapter will look. Since the receiver is longer in the back they may not have to cant the M11/9 lower like the m10 version. Maybe it will look like the Max 11/15.
We have not started on it.  Time will tell.

Scott
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 11:09:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Scott
View Quote
That’s what I was referring too. A dedicated AK nose in and rock back design.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Has the tenco adapter been tested on a JAWS mac 10? I know a lot of the mac 10s have differences in tolerances and was wondering if the adapter can accommodate those differences or will it require some fitting?
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 9:50:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scott
Yes, I am talking about the actual AK mechanism, not just the mags.

Quoted:
Has the tenco adapter been tested on a JAWS mac 10? I know a lot of the mac 10s have differences in tolerances and was wondering if the adapter can accommodate those differences or will it require some fitting?
The Tenko adapter has been tried on a JAWS receiver.  It fits but was as tight as the factory upper, which was tight.  Sam at Practical Solutions told me that it would fit.  But since this was a customer's gun, it was not fired.

Also we have gotten gotten the question of receiver modification several times.  To be clear, to use the Tenko adapter the receiver does NOT need to be permanently modified.  The spring and buffer are inside the adapter.  The end of the spring is held by the inside of the Mac style receiver.  The semi auto trip must be removed from the the sear/selector shaft.  We have found that for ease of installation, the fire control retainer spring could be modified.  We plan to include a modified spring with the basic Tenko adapter kit.

Scott
Manager A&S Conversions, L.L.C.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#34]
That is awesome. Thanks and glad i put myself on the list.

Quoted:

Yes, I am talking about the actual AK mechanism, not just the mags.

The Tenko adapter has been tried on a JAWS receiver.  It fits but was as tight as the factory upper, which was tight.  Sam at Practical Solutions told me that it would fit.  But since this was a customer's gun, it was not fired.

Also we have gotten gotten the question of receiver modification several times.  To be clear, to use the Tenko adapter the receiver does NOT need to be permanently modified.  The spring and buffer are inside the adapter.  The end of the spring is held by the inside of the Mac style receiver.  The semi auto trip must be removed from the the sear/selector shaft.  We have found that for ease of installation, the fire control retainer spring could be modified.  We plan to include a modified spring with the basic Tenko adapter kit.

Scott
Manager A&S Conversions, L.L.C.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Well, I'm on the list!
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well, I'm on the list!
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#37]
A&S posted some bad news the other day on UZItalk. Said the FATD returned there adapter because they are no longer determine the legality of a accessory without it attached to the host gun. They have since resubmitted a Registered M10 with a adapter to the ATF and hope to hear something back in a few months.

Below taken from UZItalk post
We just received a letter from the Firearms and Ammunition Technology Branch dated February 1, 2019. The FATD is returning the Tenko 10-16 adapter without a determination. We were notified by both Sam and another SOT that has done work for us back on December 10, 2018 that the FATD would no longer make determinations for the industry on accessories without out the complete firearm. The email and the notice on the website were specific to the industry. Well apparently that is also for private individuals. We will be shipping a complete Tenko 10-16 system including a transferable M10 RR to the FATD ASAP. Our 120 days for the determination would have been at the end of this month. Now that is out the window. We can only assume that the 120 days for the determination of the aluminum version will be reset to start when the FATD receives the complete adapter system with the transferable M10 RR.

Scott
Manager A&S Conversions L.L.C.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#38]
We have had a couple of things hold us up bringing the Tenko adapter to market. We have already submitted a 3D printed proof of concept and received a determination that the Tenko 10-16 adapter is not regulated under the GCA of '68 or the amended NFA of '34. We have refined the design and resubmitted an aluminum version. We received a letter from the Chief of the Firearms Technology Industry Services Branch that states they will no longer give determinations for accessories without the complete firearm. We will send them one of our transferable M10 registered receivers along with a complete adapter with upper. We are not an 07 so we don't have a Post Sample to send. We plan to become an 07 eventually, but now is not part of our plan. We have not received the adapter we shipped to them back yet. Because of the possibility of another government shutdown, we were concerned about having someone there to actually accept it, and with the shipping and insurance cost of over $150 one way, we didn't want the item returned so we have not shipped another adapter.

We are doing our best to bring the Tenko to market.  I would have rather had the ATF come out with after this date...  But that isn't the way things went down.  I get that it takes time to pull a M10 and an AR upper with a full auto carrier from their reference collection and set up the adapter.  It is going to be very expensive to ship and insure the M10 with the complete adapter including AR upper both ways. We have started on the Tenko 11-16.  Hopefully we will have a prototype soon.

Scott
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
We have had a couple of things hold us up bringing the Tenko adapter to market. We have already submitted a 3D printed proof of concept and received a determination that the Tenko 10-16 adapter is not regulated under the GCA of '68 or the amended NFA of '34. We have refined the design and resubmitted an aluminum version. We received a letter from the Chief of the Firearms Technology Industry Services Branch that states they will no longer give determinations for accessories without the complete firearm. We will send them one of our transferable M10 registered receivers along with a complete adapter with upper. We are not an 07 so we don't have a Post Sample to send. We plan to become an 07 eventually, but now is not part of our plan. We have not received the adapter we shipped to them back yet. Because of the possibility of another government shutdown, we were concerned about having someone there to actually accept it, and with the shipping and insurance cost of over $150 one way, we didn't want the item returned so we have not shipped another adapter.

We are doing our best to bring the Tenko to market.  I would have rather had the ATF come out with after this date...  But that isn't the way things went down.  I get that it takes time to pull a M10 and an AR upper with a full auto carrier from their reference collection and set up the adapter.  It is going to be very expensive to ship and insure the M10 with the complete adapter including AR upper both ways. We have started on the Tenko 11-16.  Hopefully we will have a prototype soon.

Scott
View Quote
Have you submitted a version for approval for the M11 or M11A1?
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 1:38:22 AM EDT
[#40]
that $100k is sunk costs, you need to be concerned with maximizing profit going forward.  production costs is important of course.  but even more important is volumes.  because usually the higher the volume, the lower the production costs.

I would guess at $1500 you would sell 3x or more compared to $3000.  Lots of people who own MACs also own 5.56mm machine guns.  At $1500 they would probably still buy one of your adapters to have another 5.56mm gun to play with and more importantly reduce wear and tear on their 5.56mm machine guns.  At $3k most won't.

Anyway, good luck with your endeavors.  Sorry to hear of the hassle with ATF changing their submission requirements.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#41]
We are still working on the M11/NINE.  We will not know if a M11A1 unit is possible unit is even possible until after the M11/NINE has been designed.  If the buffer mechanism doesn't fit in the M11A1, I don't know if there would be enough volume of sales to justify a total redesign.  $1,500 is less than my cost per unit.  We need to pay back ourselves, and I have over 2,000 hours in this project plus all that money in development.  Would there be increased sales at a lower price?  Yes, but very limited.  This is a small niche market.  No matter what the price this is not like we will sell the kind of volume the are AR market would have.

Scott
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#42]
I hope the is/will be a IRM version. Yes/no?
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 12:02:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I hope the is/will be a IRM version. Yes/no?
View Quote
Yes, we are using an off the shelf PDW AR buffering system that does not require any permanent modification of the receiver.

Scott
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yes, we are using an off the shelf PDW AR buffering system that does not require any permanent modification of the receiver.

Scott
View Quote
That is a wise choice. M11/9 owner here, with no plans of drilling or cutting my receiver.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Bump to keep out of archive. No recent posts in the Uzitalk thread.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#46]
We are still waiting on the Chief of the FATD to review and sign the evaluation that was done for March 8th. Now the FATD is saying 6 months for FFL holders. Non FFL holders will be done after that. Considering that the FATD wrote me on March 6th to say that they received the adapter installed on a complete firearm, it makes sense that the evaluation only took a day because what I sent was an aluminum version of what I had already sent in 3D printed plastic. This is now days from being six months since we originally sent the aluminum version in.

The Trump administration is supposed to be pro business. How can we bring a  product to market when we can't get a determination? This has all been so very frustrating.

Scott
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
We are still waiting on the Chief of the FATD to review and sign the evaluation that was done for March 8th. Now the FATD is saying 6 months for FFL holders. Non FFL holders will be done after that. Considering that the FATD wrote me on March 6th to say that they received the adapter installed on a complete firearm, it makes sense that the evaluation only took a day because what I sent was an aluminum version of what I had already sent in 3D printed plastic. This is now days from being six months since we originally sent the aluminum version in.

The Trump administration is supposed to be pro business. How can we bring a  product to market when we can't get a determination? This has all been so very frustrating.

Scott
View Quote
Trump is also supposed to be pro gun but he has also fucked that up as well.

I hope in the mean time you have been tinkering with a M11 & M11a1 variant.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 4:48:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I hope in the mean time you have been tinkering with a M11 & M11a1 variant.
View Quote
We are at a standstill with the design for the M11/NINE. I think this second design we have done is more advanced and we are very excited about it.  It cost $500 every time we print a set of parts. The basic mechanism is the same, but how it is put together is different. There are small cosmetic differences in features. If the FATD has a problem with anything, I don't want to send in another prototype with the same feature. We are ready to print and submit right now. From my perspective, we should have received the determination over a month ago. So I am of the mind set that I don't want to order a $500 set of parts on Monday,  get the determination this week and the FATD has an issue with a feature, so I need to spend another $500 on an updated design before submitting it. Plus I only have one M11/NINE. So we wouldn't be able to resubmit until after we got the determination and the receiver back. That could take 6 months.

We are currently working on becoming a SOT. We don't want the 07 manufacturing business located in our home. We think we have a location and have started the negotiation for a location. Becoming a SOT will take months and that much more resources. We need to have some cash flow in. But we can't do that until we have the determination in hand. We need the M10 determination to move forward from where we are now.

Scott
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Well hope you the best as a M11 owner I like having options.

Your adapter is a great idea and hope to see other uppers come to lite in the future.

The 2 that really has me interested is a belt fed upper preferably in 556 and some sort of 22lr upper that would feed from American 180 drums. Those 2 uppers would make me so stinking happy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 9:50:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Well hope you the best as a M11 owner I like having options.

Your adapter is a great idea and hope to see other uppers come to lite in the future.

The 2 that really has me interested is a belt fed upper preferably in 556 and some sort of 22lr upper that would feed from American 180 drums. Those 2 uppers would make me so stinking happy.
View Quote
My brother has posted video of running his Shrike belt fed upper on the Tenko adapter. Once we have cash flow I plan to buy an AM-180 and adapt the fire control for use with the Tenko adapter.

Scott
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top