Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2017 1:16:35 AM EDT
I recently got issued a subgun (Steyr MPi 81) from the dept I work for.

I took it and ran 500 rounds of ball through it with only one hiccup.

I would like to get one of the original style OD green slings for it, but my googles are not working that well.

Anyone know a place to look?

(Best I can tell, this is post 86, imported through Trussville, and the dept is probably the original purchaser, as these guns have been here longer than the current Chief.)

Pic of nfa goodness....

Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:23:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Dear god why????

Almost anything is better. Not that the steyr is bad, but its a wire stocked machine pistol. I cant think of dumber type of gun for law enforcement. Im sure its fun I guess. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:25:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice. 
Everyone says those are nice SMGs, like a beefier, product-improved UZI.
I would try Gatewood Supply, call Pete at PJ's AUGs, then try Steyr. Probably in that order.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:29:46 AM EDT
[#3]
cool
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:31:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dear god why????

Almost anything is better. Not that the steyr is bad, but its a wire stocked machine pistol. I cant think of dumber type of gun for law enforcement. Im sure its fun I guess. Enjoy.
View Quote
People have been using that argument against the public owning these things too.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:36:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dear god why????

View Quote
It will see very little actual use.

But lets face it....who wants to see a good MG sit unused in a drawer somewhere?  
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:48:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I sure don't. Go shoot it and have fun! 
Let others enjoy it also. Tell everyone SMGs are good. 
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 2:09:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice. 
Everyone says those are nice SMGs, like a beefier, product-improved UZI.
I would try Gatewood Supply, call Pete at PJ's AUGs, then try Steyr. Probably in that order.
View Quote
Thanks, I will try those.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Because they were $100 in 1992.  And any carbine is better than no carbine in police work
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Because they were $100 in 1992.  And any carbine is better than no carbine in police work
View Quote
Both are excellent answers.

Styer firearms are typically well made, solid and reliable.  The Styer MPi 81 is better than the MPi 69 because of its charging handle (versus the 69’s front sling swivel as the charging handle), and a few other improvements.  It’s a lot like an Uzi without stepping over the line and being an imitation.

Unfortunately, MPi 81 magazines are stupid expensive...
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:41:12 PM EDT
[#10]
$45? That's cheaper than factory MP5 mags.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks nice, like an Uzi and a Mac were merged. Does it fire from an open bolt? Does the charging handle reciprocate?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looks nice, like an Uzi and a Mac were merged. Does it fire from an open bolt? Does the charging handle reciprocate?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Characteristics

Caliber: 9x19mm Luger/Para
Weight: 3.13 kg empty
Length (stock closed/open): 465 / 670 mm
Barrel length: 260 mm
Rate of fire: 550 rounds per minute
Magazine capacity: 25 or 32 rounds
Effective range: 100-150 meters

The Steyr MPi 69 submachine gun was developed by Austrian company Steyr-Daimler-Puch during early sixties and put into production; in around 1981 the basic design was slightly improved with addition of a conventional bolt cocking handle. The updated version was designated as MPi 81 and was manufactured until about mid-1990s. Both versions are in use by several police and military forces in Europe and elsewhere.
Steyr MPi 69 submachine gun is a blowback operated, selective fire weapon that fires from open bolt. The receiver is made from stamped steel, the receiver cover and pistol grip are made from nylon. The bolt is of "wrap-around" type (most of its weight is located in front of the breech face, around the barrel) and had a fixed firing pin. The cocking handle on MPi 69 is combined with front sling swivel; to cock the bolt, shooter has to pull the front part of the sling rearward and then release it. On MPi 81 submachine gun, this system is replace by conventional bolt cocking handle. Both MPi 69 and MPi 81 had cross-bolt button manual safety, located above the trigger. The fire mode selection mechanism is a combination of the trigger pull and safety button. If the safety button is pushed all the way to the left, the short pull on the trigger will produce single shots, and the long pull will produce burst firing. If the safety button will be left in mid-way position, only single shots will be possible. If the safety is all the way to the right, the gun is set to safe and will not fire.
Sights consist of protected front and flip-up type rear. The shoulder stock is retractable and made from steel wire.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Man that's ugly .. still pretty cool though
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Man that's ugly .. still pretty cool though
View Quote
They look distinctly “European”, which is a take-it-or-leave-it aesthetic.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for sharing.

I think it looks beautiful.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#16]
What dept. issued that and why?  
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 1:26:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Styer firearms are typically well made, solid and reliable.
View Quote
This. I've owned three Steyrs; a Steyr-Mannlicher M1905, Steyr-Hahn M1912 and a Steyr M40. I've since sold all three but they were all great, innovative well made guns that never skipped a beat.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 11:24:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I played with a 69 and an 81 several years. Both were Post-'86 samples. Both were solid subguns, that shot well.

The wire stock actually worked better than one would think. Much better than a MAC10 stock, for example. But looking at how the stock is designed and attached, it should not be difficult to build a solid stock with two wire attachment lugs that slide into the rear of the receiver, just like the factory wire stock does.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top