Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2017 1:53:54 PM EDT
I hope you guys dont mind me dropping this here but I'm not sure where else to ask.

My friend has a Semi-Auto M249 and I want to build him a linking machine for the belts vs him buying one. I figure saving him a few hundred bucks might be worth a couple of belts as a builders fee.

I have the time and tools to build one but finding a decent pattern has been troublesome.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Did a quick Google search and found this site
http://browningmgs.com/Linker/Homemade.htm

The professional ones are made of metal but that would be hard to make without professional milling equipment. Seems like one made of wood should suffice for recreational use. might even be able to swap out some of the steel hinges and handle parts for wood as well.

if you find a CAD file or dimensions post it here, im sure others would love to know how to make one, I hope to pick up a Shrike upper in the next year or two so wouldn't mind having one myself.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 1:34:47 AM EDT
[#2]
thats actually one of the ones I was looking at for designs. The spacing, depth of channels and the seating for the links is what I'm really needing. I'll play with it, if I get it set I'll definitely share.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 1:48:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I absolutely hate that style of linker. Better off duing it by hand.
I recently used my .308 loader for nodissintigrating links its awesome with someone feeding it while you crank its quick and only cost me like $190.

I wish someone made one off these for 5.56 with conversion for other calibers..a few people make these but their are $1000s. Of dollars because of the limited civilian market, they're just not massed produced.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8kVyVq7G7a0

As far as making your own, i think you got it. You might want to look around though sometimes that style linker pop up at a reasonable price...even then i think it wont get used much. By hand is the way to go with 5.56
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I wish someone made one off these for 5.56 with conversion for other calibers..a few people make these but their are $1000s. Of dollars because of the limited civilian market, they're just not massed produced.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8kVyVq7G7a0

By hand is the way to go with 5.56
View Quote
all this

BTW it cost 7K to get one shipped here if you really want it- I think 10k for the 556 version IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

all this

BTW it cost 7K to get one shipped here if you really want it- I think 10k for the 556 version IIRC.
View Quote
$10k??!?!?!?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:17:13 AM EDT
[#7]
my buddy broke down and just bought one. No fun for me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
my buddy broke down and just bought one. No fun for me.
View Quote
the automatic 10K one above???
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, which one did he buy?
Also, if he's your buddy, I'd think it would be fun for you. I let my buddies use my AR Mag-pump loader. That thing is great.

OK, I read your OP again and I see what you mean. Want to make one for my M60 (M13 links)? I'll let you run a few belts! 
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 4:21:06 AM EDT
[#10]
He bout the pull lever type, not that crazy ass hand crank.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 4:21:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah, which one did he buy?
Also, if he's your buddy, I'd think it would be fun for you. I let my buddies use my AR Mag-pump loader. That thing is great.

OK, I read your OP again and I see what you mean. Want to make one for my M60 (M13 links)? I'll let you run a few belts! 
View Quote
If I lived in LA I'd take that offer!
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 6:52:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I link belts by hand, it's really not that difficult. I think it would frustrate me to have to line everything up to pull the handle, when I can sit, watch TV, and mindlessly link away. You can feel the round set in the link easily without looking.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#13]
It's noticeably more difficult to push Wolf (or other steel cased, polymer coated) rounds into the links.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's noticeably more difficult to push Wolf (or other steel cased, polymer coated) rounds into the links.
View Quote
Spray them with a wax spray like  one shot.

Huge difference
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top