Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/4/2017 9:04:47 PM EDT
Some of the lower-priced machine guns are also those which are more challenging to support. Examples are:

- AC-556
- FNC
- Reising
- SW76 / MK760

The parts need to maintain those machine guns can be tough, if not nearly impossible, to find. The AC-556 might be a little easier, but still a little tough.

On the other hand, other machine guns seem to have more logistical support, such as the:

- Uzi
- Sten
- M-2 carbine

This may be due to more surplus kits being available.

Can anyone share their experiences with obtaining parts needed to keep your machine guns running smoothly?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I would think the M16 would win easily, but most any of the popular transferables that have been used in wars really shouldn't have spare parts availability issues.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I lucked out and got a complete parts kit for my Reising . I have seen parts come up for the Reising on Gun broker pretty regular .
Numrich has had parts for them and probably still does . So far the stock parts have held up well and I have only changed parts to try for function .
Good luck
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would think the M16 would win easily, but most any of the popular transferables that have been used in wars really shouldn't have spare parts availability issues.
View Quote
I would argue that the M-16 is THE most supportable.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I lucked out and got a complete parts kit for my Reising . I have seen parts come up for the Reising on Gun broker pretty regular .
Numrich has had parts for them and probably still does . So far the stock parts have held up well and I have only changed parts to try for function .
Good luck
View Quote
That's good news actually!
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Most machine guns are heavy duty military weapons and you have a hard time wearing anything out

firing pins, extractors, ejectors, recoil springs

Some guns have a reputation for breaking certain parts.

Like reisings will blow off compensator fins

The question to ask would be "what parts have you ever broken or worn out?"

There are a lot of parts out there that nobody will ever need.  

I think most MG parts are used to replace stuff that was worn out in service, or messed up by neglect.  or is just old.

Like maybe a reising will have a skanky stock on it from bouncing around in the trunk of a cop car.  So someone will be on the hunt for a new one.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:43:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I try to have at least one complete parts kit for each of my machine guns. I did not buy my Japanese Type 99 LMG until I had 2 spare parts kits before hand and also my ZB26. I did not have a spare kit for my Swedish BAR or Stoner 63a but have assembled complete sets since.

Most machine guns are military items and therefore usually a bit more durable than civilian based guns. Another factor  is most of the C&R machine guns are very long in the tooth and you have no idea how much use it saw over its military life.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:15:45 AM EDT
[#7]
He said lower price so that to me puts the m16 out of range.

I'd say OP if you want a lower priced gun with lots of support I'd be looking at a M10 in 45 or M11 in 9mm. On the M10(mac 10) I say 45 as the mags are easier to find. Just know that some texas ones(with the m1 style safety through the trigger guard) don't take standard parts although they can be converted to. The M11a1 also has some good options.

The mac stile guns have every part available through multiple sources. The m11 has upgraded trigger options. Lage and others make upgraded upper receivers that slow down the rate of fire and make them more controllable. I have one of lage's on my m10 and it really makes a difference. The M10 can be set to use unmodified grease gun mags which many already are. The m11 has 22 conversions(more rare on the m10). They all have multiple stock options including ar buffer tubes.

Practical solutions has a conversion for the m10 that replaces the factory pistol grip/magwell with an uzi one. This allows you to use cheap uzi mags in 9mm and 45 and swap uppers(as easy to do as an ar).

Really look at what lage has going on. They have a few models that take Suomi mags so you can run drum mags with them.

Lage is also working on an upper for the m11 that takes ar mags and barrels. He said if it is possible he will do it on the other guns. This is going to require a hole drilled in the back plate of the registered receiver but they are steel and it wouldn't be hard to weld up and fix if one wanted too.

A texas M10 in 45 was my first machine gun(have a m16 transferring now). Practical solutions redid the welds and converted it to use standard parts. It runs a lage mk2 upper and is setup for grease gun mags. I kinda wish I had him convert it to uzi mags but that isn't a big deal. If I did it again I might have gone with the m11 as it seems to have a few more options for it. I think I'd take the better worked out 22 conversions instead of my ability to shoot 45.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Most if not all MGs have support by way of gunsmiths and those smiths can supply or produce parts for repair. Like the earlier poster said he only changed out parts for function. You may wear out a spring, ejector, extractor, or firing pin. Rare or unusual guns may be the only ones that require parts kits to maintain them at a reasonable cost savings. Most people I know with MGs have way more parts than they will ever need to maintain them. I guess it's good insurance to them.

I'm not sure about low cost MGs anymore since the prices have soared in the last few years. Low end now is in the 6K to 7K range.

Go to a range that rents MGs and shoot a few. See which one does it for you. Ask how they hold up and what repairs that have been made to them. Talk to people who own them and get their opinion. But above all else do not wait. Prices keep going up.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#9]
SMGs and assault rifles:
1. M16 no contest.

2. Fullsize SMG spec RR UZI.  Parts kits and barrels (aftermarket) are widely available. Easy for the end-user to service.

3. AUG. I  put this here because of the ease with which all components may be changed. Parts have been in steady supply from Pete Athens since the 80s.

4. Sear or registered frame converted HKs, though barrel change is not a routine end-user option. Widespread availability of hosts and parts, albeit expensive.

5. MACs. Parts are available, mags are available, easy to service. I put this below the others because parts are not as widely available as those above it.

Beltfeds:
I think the 1919 wins this handily.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I would vote M16.  

Given the commonality with the AR15 most areas of the Country I suspect you could get replacement AR commonality parts with ease via taking a trip to your local gunstore.   Most larger metro areas it shouldnt really be difficult to find the M16 specific fire control parts.  Worst case there are no shortage of mail/internet order vendors.

You can also purchase pretty much every hand tool you will ever need to work on an M16 for probably less than $500.  The M16 doesnt really require any special skillsets like welding or tooling like a hydraulic press.

There are other guns that may be easier to work on and/or dont require as many specialized tools (like the Uzi or MAC) but those parts are going to be almost exclusively a mail order type of item unless you happen to live near one of the handful of vendors like SARCO.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm going to vote for a 7.62x39mm Kalashnikov, specifically a Chinese Type 56, a European AKM, or any milled receiver AK-47.

All of the parts are available, yet you won't ever need any of them. It's the best of both options.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:15:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I've put 3k+ rounds through my M11/9 with Lage Max11 mk1 upper. Nothing has broken or needed replacing yet. Mags were tricky with that gun though.

Bought an S&W76 that I'm waiting on the transfer of. Put maybe 500-750 rounds through it without a stoppage, so hopefully that keeps up and nothing breaks since parts aren't easy to come by for that gun.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm going to vote for a 7.62x39mm Kalashnikov, specifically a Chinese Type 56, a European AKM, or any milled receiver AK-47.

All of the parts are available, yet you won't ever need any of them. It's the best of both options.
View Quote
I would put the AK in the same category as the HK roller delay blowback family. Everything is easy except changing the barrel. The nod goes to a sear gun HK as one could buy another host in lieu of changing the barrel if necessary.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#14]
M16 of course, but UZI is good too. My first machine gun was an UZI, great gun and cheap to feed. I also really enjoyed the Sterling SMG.

The M16 RDIAS or HK registered sear are by far the most flexible machine guns. I'd be very happy with either one of those options if I could only have one machine gun. Parts are easier to get and cheaper for the M16 of course. 
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the input everybody.

I have a 1919A4 and an AC-556, but was interested in a Sten or M-2 carbine.

Any experiences with parts availability on the Sten or M-2?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Someone else can chime in but doesn't the m2 really need the lower spec'd ammo to prevent damage? I know the m1s can be damaged with new commercial ammo that is too powerful so I'm guessing it would be the same with the m2. You can get ammo for them but it might mean extra work vs some other guns.

I can't speak for the sten. I think personally I'd look for a m10 or m11 though as they are going to be semi close in price if it is for shooting. A few vendors sell new lower parts, you have multiple good stock options including an ar15 stock adapter, and you have the lage uppers which really help the guns. You also have the cfw slow fire bolts for the standard uppers(the m11 has it, looks like the m10 ones are being worked on). Pretty much on the m10 or m11 you can buy a lower and replace all of the other parts easily(some lower parts might need fitting). You can buy one and for a few hundred bucks put everything else new on it or upgrade to a large upper or a side charging upper. The m10 can run 9mm and 45acp. It does have 22 conversions but they are more rare. The m11 does 9mm and lage makes a 22 conversion.

Edit: I bought an m10 as my first but I think if I did it again I'd have gone with the m11 for some extra options including lage's 22 conversion. I have a m16 incoming so I'll be able to run 22 on it. Now if only someone would make a 10mm upper for the m10.....
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input everybody.

I have a 1919A4 and an AC-556, but was interested in a Sten or M-2 carbine.

Any experiences with parts availability on the Sten or M-2?

Thanks again.
View Quote
Stens were made by the millions. Parts shouldn't be an issue in the next 500 years.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Sturm-Ruger no longer stocks any AC556 specific parts.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Stens were made by the millions. Parts shouldn't be an issue in the next 500 years.
View Quote
NICE!
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#20]
GP-did you take your sten home yet?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 2:31:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
GP-did you take your sten home yet?
View Quote
Not yet.

I think maybe September-October will be my lucky month. I've been gathering magazines and tools. I picked up an AR stock adapter, an Austen mag loader, and recently a magazine repair kit.

I still need more magazines that are in great shape and a few spare parts kits.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I thought about this topic some more.

It seems to me that machineguns could be solely graded on the practical aspects of what is needed to keep them running.

You'd have to look at what guns eat what parts and see if those parts are available.

You'd factor the cost of the spares in with the purchase price.

If a gun never wears out or breaks a part, then the availability of the part is irrelevant.

A parts kit for a WWII Thompson is like $1200 and a parts kit for an UZI is $200.  So it looks like the UZI has the advantage.

But neither of those guns requires buying a parts kit, so the difference is moot.

All you need for either gun is the usual spare ejector, extractor and recoil springs.  Maybe a spare barrel if you're the cautious type.

I guess the question to be asked is:  If I fire this gun once every three months for the rest of my life, what parts will I need?

For most of these guns, it looks like you would need little or nothing.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It seems to me that machineguns could be solely graded on the practical aspects of what is needed to keep them running.

You'd have to look at what guns eat what parts and see if those parts are available.

If a gun never wears out or breaks a part, then the availability of the part is irrelevant.

A parts kit for a WWII Thompson is like $1200 and a parts kit for an UZI is $200.  So it looks like the UZI has the advantage.

But neither of those guns requires buying a parts kit, so the difference is moot.

All you need for either gun is the usual spare ejector, extractor and recoil springs.  Maybe a spare barrel if you're the cautious type.

I guess the question to be asked is:  If I fire this gun once every three months for the rest of my life, what parts will I need?

View Quote
Agreed, most guns don't need much except extractors. It's more of a cost/benefit analysis of how much it would suck to have a very, very expensive paperweight if something did break.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I would put the AK in the same category as the HK roller delay blowback family. Everything is easy except changing the barrel. The nod goes to a sear gun HK as one could buy another host in lieu of changing the barrel if necessary.
View Quote
Well, I've got to agree with you there...

However, the biggest advantage a transferable AK barrel has over the HK clone's barrel is that the AK barrel is cold hammer forged and chrome lined. From a durability standpoint, that's Top Notch. An HK clone might only have an unlined, button-rifled barrel made from 4140 steel. Unfortunately, due to Bill Klinton's Barrel Ban, the military HK barrels are hard to get, and expensive.

The other advantage for the AK barrel living a long life is due to the relatively large bore/low velocity of its 7.62x39mm cartridge.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Someone else can chime in but doesn't the m2 really need the lower spec'd ammo to prevent damage? I know the m1s can be damaged with new commercial ammo that is too powerful so I'm guessing it would be the same with the m2. You can get ammo for them but it might mean extra work vs some other guns...
View Quote
The M2 carbine, just like the M1 carbine, likes ammo loaded on the hot side in order to function properly. Most of the commercial ammo available these days is not loaded hot enough for them.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Agreed, most guns don't need much except extractors. It's more of a cost/benefit analysis of how much it would suck to have a very, very expensive paperweight if something did break.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I guess the thing to do is find out what parts you'll eventually need and then factor the cost of the assumed pile of replacement parts in with the total cost of the gun.

And buy them up front.  

Then you don't have to worry.

For example, if you were costing out a WWII Thompson, you'd expect to buy

1 Thompson @ $25,000 plus 10 magazines @ $30 plus one NOS barrel at $150 plus $100 worth of springs and extractors = $ 25,550.

if you were buying an FNC, you'd expect to buy

1 FNC at $15,000 plus one spare FNC at $3000 plus 10 mags at $20 each plus one barrel at $150 plus $100 worth of springs and firing pins = $18,450.

etc

I guess you'd have to ask around about each gun to see what was likely to break.

Some of the guns have huge piles of parts because the parts were made for huge military contracts and the gun is so tough the spare parts never get used.

How many M3 grease gun bolts get used up in a year?  You can still buy them NIW from WWII for like $55.

Probably less than 1 bolt gets replace a year in the USA, so a crate of 100 bolts is literally a 100 year supply.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:24:05 AM EDT
[#27]
I thought back on what parts I have had to replace on my machine guns and the list is not too long.

Stoner 63a- 80K+ rounds through the gun- extractor, feed actuator bearing keeper clip, commando barrel because its now a smooth bore.
Swedish K m/45 - 40K+ rounds through it - sear axle pin, barrel nut ratchet detent.
Japanese Type 99 LMG - 3K+ rounds through it - sear spring,
HK MP5 - 25K+ rounds through it before I sold it - 2 extractor springs, recoil spring buffer, the next owner had to have the 2 rnd trigger pack fixed after it went tits up.
M3A1 Grease gun - replaced the ejection port cover for a NOS one since it had better felt on it but it worked fine even w/o the change.

Never had to replace any parts on any of my other machine guns including some with high round counts. Several of the guns are 90 years old.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that the spare part thing is a concern but it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

It's a manageable problem.

It's not like racing a dune buggy, that you're beating the shit out of it and you need a constant supply of engine parts and tie rods and brake rotors.

Probably the worst gun for spare parts is the FNC, because there are NONE.

And that gun does have a reputation for cracking bolts and bolt carriers every so often.

So if I was a huge FNC fan, and I insisted on shooting it all the time, I wouldn't feel right unless I had two spare hosts.

But you can actually go ahead and buy spare hosts, and if you did buy two spares, it would be money in the bank, the price of the hosts is only going to go up.   And you'd be set up for three lifetimes of shooting.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:20:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Someone else can chime in but doesn't the m2 really need the lower spec'd ammo to prevent damage? I know the m1s can be damaged with new commercial ammo that is too powerful so I'm guessing it would be the same with the m2. You can get ammo for them but it might mean extra work vs some other guns.

I can't speak for the sten. I think personally I'd look for a m10 or m11 though as they are going to be semi close in price if it is for shooting. A few vendors sell new lower parts, you have multiple good stock options including an ar15 stock adapter, and you have the lage uppers which really help the guns. You also have the cfw slow fire bolts for the standard uppers(the m11 has it, looks like the m10 ones are being worked on). Pretty much on the m10 or m11 you can buy a lower and replace all of the other parts easily(some lower parts might need fitting). You can buy one and for a few hundred bucks put everything else new on it or upgrade to a large upper or a side charging upper. The m10 can run 9mm and 45acp. It does have 22 conversions but they are more rare. The m11 does 9mm and lage makes a 22 conversion.

Edit: I bought an m10 as my first but I think if I did it again I'd have gone with the m11 for some extra options including lage's 22 conversion. I have a m16 incoming so I'll be able to run 22 on it. Now if only someone would make a 10mm upper for the m10.....
View Quote
You're thinking of the M1 Garand. The M1/2 carbines don't need downloaded ammo. Given that they're the only really widely used firearms using that cartridge aside from the Automags and some other older pistols.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Okay, I figured out how to phase this whole idea succinctly:

If you have your heart set on a particular MG,

and you make arrangements up front for a selected stash of critical replacement parts, magazines, springs, etc,

then you'll be just fine.

Because these guns generally don't eat parts.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I thought back on what parts I have had to replace on my machine guns and the list is not too long.

Stoner 63a- 80K+ rounds through the gun- extractor, feed actuator bearing keeper clip, commando barrel because its now a smooth bore.
Swedish K m/45 - 40K+ rounds through it - sear axle pin, barrel nut ratchet detent.
Japanese Type 99 LMG - 3K+ rounds through it - sear spring,
HK MP5 - 25K+ rounds through it before I sold it - 2 extractor springs, recoil spring buffer, the next owner had to have the 2 rnd trigger pack fixed after it went tits up.
M3A1 Grease gun - replaced the ejection port cover for a NOS one since it had better felt on it but it worked fine even w/o the change.

Never had to replace any parts on any of my other machine guns including some with high round counts. Several of the guns are 90 years old.
View Quote
good info

this kind of data would make a good sticky post

give people an idea of the types of parts they should stockpile.

Most of my parts replacements were done as a preventative measure because the guns were old.  

I replaced a few spring kits because the springs in the gun were 70+ years old.

I'm a big fan of using a new recoil spring and using high quality full power ammo.  

I owned some 1921 manufacture colt Thompson magazines which were valuable collector's items worth about $250 each.  They must have been left for decades and decades full of ammo, because the springs were completely fooked.   So that's something to think about, replacing mag springs.

Sometimes people will get a squib load that leaves a bullet stuck in the bore but still has just enough powder to operate the bolt.

That usually results in a bulged and ruined barrel.

I address that problem by using only high quality ammo.  better to pay an extra $5 or $10 per hundred for ammo then to have to replace a barrel.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

good info

this kind of data would make a good sticky post

give people an idea of the types of parts they should stockpile.

Most of my parts replacements were done as a preventative measure because the guns were old.  

I replaced a few spring kits because the springs in the gun were 70+ years old.

I'm a big fan of using a new recoil spring and using high quality full power ammo.  

I owned some 1921 manufacture colt Thompson magazines which were valuable collector's items worth about $250 each.  They must have been left for decades and decades full of ammo, because the springs were completely fooked.   So that's something to think about, replacing mag springs.

Sometimes people will get a squib load that leaves a bullet stuck in the bore but still has just enough powder to operate the bolt.

That usually results in a bulged and ruined barrel.

I address that problem by using only high quality ammo.  better to pay an extra $5 or $10 per hundred for ammo then to have to replace a barrel.
View Quote
Indeed. A comprehensive list of stuff MG owners have had to fix/replace would be great info!
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:40:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
SMGs and assault rifles:
1. M16 no contest.

2. Fullsize SMG spec RR UZI.  Parts kits and barrels (aftermarket) are widely available. Easy for the end-user to service.

3. AUG. I  put this here because of the ease with which all components may be changed. Parts have been in steady supply from Pete Athens since the 80s.

4. Sear or registered frame converted HKs, though barrel change is not a routine end-user option. Widespread availability of hosts and parts, albeit expensive.

5. MACs. Parts are available, mags are available, easy to service. I put this below the others because parts are not as widely available as those above it.

Beltfeds:
I think the 1919 wins this handily.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#34]
It's been said above but is worth repeating.  It helps greatly to understand what wears out/breaks on a particular gun and why.  For example, you mentioned the AC556 as being difficult to support and I would tend to disagree.

• While it is true that the FA AC556 parts can no longer be had from Ruger, parts kits from cut up post samples appear from time to time in batches as police departments turn them in.

• Many Mini-14 parts will work on an AC556 of similar vintage.   (e.g. Bolt assemblies, gas system, barrels (if you don't mind a civilian barrel)

• The most problematic parts are the sheet metal pieces related to the selector.  These are actually long lived but can be damaged with improper assembly/disassembly.

Every gun has a situation that when understood helps balance out the spare parts issue.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:51:20 PM EDT
[#35]
The biggest problem with the Ruger AC556 is the looming specter of infrequent, but possible receiver failure due to cracking.

Ruger used to have "replacement" transferable AC556 receivers on hand to deal with this problem, but those were all used up many years ago. I remember back when Ruger still had transferable receivers, at least one person contacted Ruger in an effort to purchase one, but Ruger refused. Obviously, Ruger was serious about those receivers being "replacement parts".
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:10:50 PM EDT
[#36]
I always recommend a Sten.  Fantastic shooting gun.  Cheap ammo, parts kits, and mags.  Good luck!!
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I always recommend a Sten.  Fantastic shooting gun.  Cheap ammo, parts kits, and mags.  Good luck!!
View Quote
@collegeboy

I bought my Sten largely based on your recommendation. Recently I've been looking at M11/9s as well. Do you have a MAC or any thoughts on them?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

@collegeboy

I bought my Sten largely based on your recommendation. Recently I've been looking at M11/9s as well. Do you have a MAC or any thoughts on them?
View Quote
I LOVE my Sten MK II.

Macs are cool, but everyone has one or two or eleven ish ()

Mac 11a1 380, useless
Mac 10 in 45acp cool best in stock form. Controllable 
Mac 10 in 9mm good gun. Can have Lage upper or not. Can do the Uzi grip mod.
Mac 11 in stock form pretty much a bullet hose. really needs a lage upper.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I LOVE my Sten MK II.

Mac 11a1 380, useless
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@collegeboy

I LOVE my Sten MK II.

Mac 11a1 380, useless
Yeah, the ONLY way I would consider an M11/9 is with a Lage upper. Possibly with a Sten mag conversion since I have a pile of them now.

I've been bitten by the machine gun bug, and what I really want is an Uzi to go with my Sten but Macs are half the cost.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:50:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Same for me, sten, largely based on mikes recommendation.

GP-I think your onto something.  When it comes time to replace my m10 that i recently sold, I may go with an uzi instead.  Especially if they're similar prices by that point.

I'm pretty sure mike(collegeboy) has said he's not a fan of the mac series of firearms though.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 10:14:08 PM EDT
[#41]
I'd say the UZI; plenty of cheap parts kit available; cheapest to own in comparison to the M16s and cheap to feed.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 10:54:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yeah, the ONLY way I would consider an M11/9 is with a Lage upper. Possibly with a Sten mag conversion since I have a pile of them now.

I've been bitten by the machine gun bug, and what I really want is an Uzi to go with my Sten but Macs are half the cost.
View Quote
If want you really want is an Uzi, nut up and get the Uzi.

I have a MP5, Sten, Reising, mk760 clone, Stemple, Thompson*, Uzi, a pile of macs..

The Sten and Uzi always go. The others ride the bench.

Note the Thompson is new to me this month. I fell I am shoot it a lot too. 
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:23:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I have a MP5, Sten, Reising, mk760 clone, Stemple, Thompson*, Uzi, a pile of macs..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ugh, I know you're right. It'll be 3-5 years before I can afford an Uzi, unfortunately. My career is in a rapidly growing phase right now, but it's not there yet. I know the Uzi is where my heart really is for several reasons.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:37:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Ugh, I know you're right. It'll be 3-5 years before I can afford an Uzi, unfortunately. My career is in a rapidly growing phase right now, but it's not there yet. I know the Uzi is where my heart really is for several reasons.
View Quote
Well,

A) buy a mac and dump money in it for  accessories and hope to get 75% out if or when you sell. But it should climb at a rate near the Uzi.

B) buy what you want the first time.
but you might miss the boat like a lot of high priced gun guys. 

What what I bought my Uzi they were only $7000, about $4000 more then a Mac that the time
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:40:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@collegeboy

I LOVE my Sten MK II.

Mac 11a1 380, useless

If you're going to suppress a Mac, 9mm sub sonic costs about the same as 45 ACP which is already sub sonic, and more readily available. That makes a Mac 10 a little easier to feed than an M11, for shooting suppressed. Hunting deals on sub sonic 9mm can be a pain but you can buy WWB 45ACP at Walmart.

Of course, there is certain grin factor to mag dumping an M11 bullet hose at 1200 rpm.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If you're going to suppress a Mac, 9mm sub sonic costs about the same as 45 ACP which is already sub sonic, and more readily available. That makes a Mac 10 a little easier to feed than an M11, for shooting suppressed. Hunting deals on sub sonic 9mm can be a pain but you can buy WWB 45ACP at Walmart.

Of course, there is certain grin factor to mag dumping an M11 bullet hose at 1200 rpm.
View Quote
Unless you reload, I can reload 147gr subsonic (less power but high cost bullet) for the same cost as regular 115 gr 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Unless you reload, I can reload 147gr subsonic (less power but high cost bullet) for the same cost as regular 115 gr 9mm.
View Quote
Reloading for an open bolt gun is a bad idea. They end up damaging the brass and you don't want that when the gun starts to fire before the round is fully seated in the chamber.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Reloading for an open bolt gun is a bad idea. They end up damaging the brass and you don't want that when the gun starts to fire before the round is fully seated in the chamber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm. I reload, and definitely prefer 9mm to .45. Subsonic or not isn't a huge deal.

I don't want to blow anything up. What about steel case ammo in a transferable? Any worries there?
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Double
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#50]
All I shoot is steel cased ammo.  Thousands of rounds through the sten and m10/9 with no issues, except maybe some slight wear on an extractor, which may or may not have been caused by steel cased ammo.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top