Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/26/2010 6:36:18 AM EDT
I just got my first can. Got it on a 10/22 ran Remington Sub-Sonic's and Regular Remington on it. Was not pleased with the operation at all and I was told that the Rem Sub's are poor and that some bulk box ammo is even better than the Sub-Sonics. I know that bolt slap will be loud so I have taken that into consideration but I am actually hearing a crack inside of the supressor.

I have heard that CCI Green Tag is good (I have used that before on a supressed Mosquito) and I have heard that Aguilla 40 and 60rg sub-sonics are also good. Green Tag is not on the shelves locally, and no one stocks Aguilla except over the internet. Any other flavors of .22 out there that you all can suggest, hope to pick up a bunch of 50rd boxes and test them all out before buying bricks of the stuff. If I have to order via internet I want to buy a  LOT of different brands from one place that may work to offset the HazMat fees.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 6:54:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Fiocchi or Aguila subsonics are good.  Standard velocity will also be pretty quiet compared to high or hyper velocity stuff thru your can.
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 7:04:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Winchester Dynapoints.
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I just got my first can. Got it on a 10/22 ran Remington Sub-Sonic's and Regular Remington on it. Was not pleased with the operation at all and I was told that the Rem Sub's are poor and that some bulk box ammo is even better than the Sub-Sonics. I know that bolt slap will be loud so I have taken that into consideration but I am actually hearing a crack inside of the supressor.

I have heard that CCI Green Tag is good (I have used that before on a supressed Mosquito) and I have heard that Aguilla 40 and 60rg sub-sonics are also good. Green Tag is not on the shelves locally, and no one stocks Aguilla except over the internet. Any other flavors of .22 out there that you all can suggest, hope to pick up a bunch of 50rd boxes and test them all out before buying bricks of the stuff. If I have to order via internet I want to buy a  LOT of different brands from one place that may work to offset the HazMat fees.

Thanks

I use the Aguila 60 grain in a dedicated 1 in 9 twist charger with a spectre can. In the AR I use the subsonics and dynapoints. There is no HazMat on loaded ammo, only powder and primers so order away. Check out Ammunition To Gofor a great selection of 22 ammo at a decent price. Also, get a bolt buffer to quit down the "click". - DR
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't had any major issues with remington subs and my 10/22

16" green mountain heavy barrel + swr spectre
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I also have a GM HBAR on my 10/22 I have one of the derilin bolt stops that I need to tap in today and I am sure that will help also.

Just got back from the store and picked up some CCI Green Tag but I don't think it's exactly the same Green Tag that I have heard of. Another store had CCI Sub-Sonics that I will try and a final store had some of the more expensive RWS subsonics ($6.50/50). The Remington Sub-Sonic stuff just did not cut the muster at all, not even close but after speaking to my 07/SOT he stated that he has had some very bad luck with the Remington SubSonic, it's nowhere near subsonic at least in a rifle barrel and a few others accross the net stated the same.

I have not shot any HighVelocity stuff yet and don't expect to but I have some more standard bulk pack standard velocity to try maybe later. Another factor my 07 brought up is that heat and humidity will play a role in the sound dynamics and it's been SUPER HOT (2 week heat wave) here and very humid up in the 98% area...we are in the south and have had 95-101 deg days for 2 weeks. When it cools off a bit I'll go outside and do a bit more testing, this time I am also going to hold the bolt closed for the A/B tests, I am having my son video me with a HD camera so I can replay it and try to tell by playing it over and over or asking someone who was not there.

Yes I hear the Aguila stuff is good and shot their Colibri and SuperColibri years ago when I lived in a populated area, now I have 30 acres with several backstops and can shoot ANYTHING I want. I'll be trying out a couple of boxes of everything first before I order it by the bricks...thanks for the 411 I have been reloading for so long that I forgot loaded stuff is HazMat free!
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#6]
CCI standard velocity.
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Wolf match target 40gr. Easy call in this one!!!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Winchester Dynapoints.

This.  This one right here.
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#9]
What kind of can do you have?  IIRC SWR won't honor warranties if you damage your suppressor with Aguila SSS 60 gr.

ETA: You can almost never go wrong with CCI Standard velocity, for any kind of silencer application.  The Dynapoints is news to me, I'll have to give them a shot.

The Wolf ammo gives me the best overall consistency.

Link Posted: 6/26/2010 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I have never heard of Winchester Dynapoint, I have some Wolf Target but it's some of the higher end target like $8 a box and I am keeping that for my Winchester 52D for benchrest work. CCI standard ? LOL I don't think anyone locally has standard of much anything all you see is high velocity or HYPER velocity with the occasional bulk box Federal Standard or Winchester Bulk box at Wallyworld.

I did find some CCI Green Tag which I heard was the choice for supressors at one time but I don't think so. It was expensive (well the store was expensive) at $8 for a box of 50 and it was over 1050fps but I went ahead and bought a box of it...wrong...hated it!

Tried the CCI Sub-Sonic and it's good, the RWS was good but 2x as much as the CCI. I'll have to try some standard CCI stuff and maybe find some of the Dynapoint. My 07/SOT suggested the Aguilla and I can go with that..he WAS the one who made the supressor so I am sure he will cover it. I don't have a name brand can but it's a nice one and they seem to be becoming more popular by word of mouth. Inovative Arms "Solution" Supressor which is .30 cal with interchangable thread adapters www.innovativearms.com

I'll be searching Ammo To Go and a few of the others to see who has the most variety and buy a box of each and do some testing. I don't have any fancy test gear and after 35 years of shooting I am tone deaf but I'll have to see if there is some soundcard software that I can measure frequency and amplitude. Nothing will be calibrated but it could be accurate testing A to B to C etc. etc. I may not be able to get perfect db readings but if all testing is done at the same time with no movement of equipment it should do OK.
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#11]
that's a pretty cool product.  does it disassemble for cleaning?
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Negative...he did state a few weeks ago that he is working on one that breaks down but I am not sure if it's going to be .22LR only or something like the Solution. Yes it's a multi-cal can and may not be "PERFECT" quiet on .22 but once I got some good ammo it was quiet enough for me and more silent than the bolt slap of the 10/22. I'll be shopping now for a 22lr bolt gun that I can thread, my only bolt is a Win 52D and I AIN'T going to thread that bad boy, it would be like repainting a classic car.

For my first can I'll take a single stamp and all around test case so I can see what I really want silenced or not. I think I will keep this as my primary .223 and .30 Cal can and purchase a dedicated .22 and another dedicated 9mm can. A .40 cal can may be nice and it should work very well on 9mm and .38 Super, I'd like to get the most bang for my buck so I can spend the money on more toy's.
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an SWR integrally suppressed 10/22 barrel, and I shoot Remington Golden Saber bulk pack bullets.
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#14]
If it's not a take-apart can (I suppose most if not all centerfire rifle suppressors are sealed), I would be wary of shooting .22LR in any significant amount and then shooting centerfire rifle bullets through it.  YMMV
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#15]
True..I have some concern but he has a lot of customers, is a local (but expanding quickly) and fully supports the use of .22lr through the can. This is just a intrim solution (no pun intended) till' I decide what other stuff I want to add to the collection. Like I said just getting the feel of what I want vs. need.
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Winchester Dynapoints.

Bingo!

Used to be that Walmart carried it regularly, now its a bit tougher to find.
Link Posted: 6/27/2010 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Inovative Arms "Solution" Supressor which is .30 cal with interchangable thread adapters www.innovativearms.com

Aluminum .30 cal can? That would scare me to shoot .308 out of.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Rich I shoot Aguila subsonic ammo thru my 10/22 and Savage MK11 with a can. The 38 grain HP's or 40 grain solids - both very accurate and indeed subsonic in a 16" to 17" barrel.
The problem has been where to buy the stuff locally. I just never see it at gun shows or retail stores. I first bought Aguila subsonic ammo at the 2005 KCR MG shoot for $11.00 per 500. The following year I picked up 4 more. Wish now I'd just bought a case of 5000.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Yea the day's of $15 bricks I am afraid is long gone. I remember Remington Target was $15 or so a brick back in the day's and I used that for practice. My Eley Match was like $3.50 or so per 50 and I would shoot those the practice before a match and during a match. Check out Champion Shooter's supply, Ammo to Go and Copes..I have had good luck with them and am getting ready to place an order soon, I just got to see who has in stock the most flavors so I can buy 1 box of each and keep shipping costs low. Once I try a box of each and see what I like I'll buy several bricks of each.
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 6:36:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Late arrival, sorry.  I run CCI Standard Velocity with great success; it turns my 10/22 into a staple gun (16" barrel BTW; stays subsonic down to about 30* F @ 1000' elevation).  I like how CCI is reliably primed with even powder charges and the velocities appear to stay consistent.  Remington subsonic is sub-worthless.  It goes supersonic nearly every time in my 10/22, even in 90*+ heat with 90%+ humidity.  You might as well shoot bulk pack at that point with the supersonic cracks you get.  I am looking to try some of the Eley Standard Velocity Aim Surplus is clearing out in a couple weeks when I go home on leave.
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#21]
RWS subsonic hollow points.
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Winchester Dynapoints.

Bingo!

+4, Thunder Bolt Subs will work too

Edit
whooops the subs that LOOK like the TB sounds good, functions ok.
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Winchester Dynapoints.

Bingo!

Thunderbolt is high velocity. Remington subsonics come in a similar looking package, but are different.

Dick's seems to have Dynapoints somewhat regularly.

OP-CCI Green Tag is supposadly the most consistant batches of CCI Standard Velocity...you may want to look into the regular CCI Std....you may be able to save a little bit.
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 5:22:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Winchester Dynapoints.

Bingo!

Thunderbolt is high velocity. Remington subsonics come in a similar looking package, but are different.

Dick's seems to have Dynapoints somewhat regularly.

OP-CCI Green Tag is supposadly the most consistant batches of CCI Standard Velocity...you may want to look into the regular CCI Std....you may be able to save a little bit.

thanks for catching that, fixed
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 5:49:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I have checked Natchezz, Midway, Champion and AIM and have not seen anything called Dynapoint, has it gone under any other name? What do the boxes look like ?
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 6:43:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have checked Natchezz, Midway, Champion and AIM and have not seen anything called Dynapoint, has it gone under any other name? What do the boxes look like ?

Made by Winchester

google image to see what the box lloks like
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 7:14:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#28]
in my 10/22 i use CCI 40gr subsonic hollow points. with my muzzle can, this load is pellet gun quiet and accurate. the combo is absolute mayhem on chipmunks and squirrels. i even downed a coyote( perfect heart shot ).
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#29]
CCI Standard Velocity
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#30]

OK well all of the Walmarts at least in this region do not carry this, thanks for the link. I have seen this box in .22 WMR at Walmart but not LR, I actually just got back from my 4th walmart and they only have Dynapoint WMR.

Rich
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thanks

I used to have issues finding sub sonic that would work with my 22LR Warlock can on a Sig and a 10/22 host. Finally, I was able to come up with a combo that works for me. I use Winchester X sub-sonic and I put a slight amount of gun oil on my fingers and lightly coat the cases as I load my magazines. I noticed it mentioned in fine print in my Sig Mosquito manual and it works perfectly ... It does say to be careful only to do this with sub-sonic 22LR NOT standard or greater.... Give it a try if you are having issues making sub sonics cycle.

Link Posted: 7/25/2010 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I have received a shipment of various sub sonic 22 ammo just before vacation but having a hard time testing it all out. The temps have been over 100 degrees just before and since we have returned with high humidity which makes it VERY uncomfortable to say the least to do any serious testing. Not to mention high heat and high humidity I belive does not do well for sound testing from a supressor.

Still have not found the Winchester White Box Dyna LR's and I looked all over western VA while out vacationing, on-line they all seem to be sold out also. Every walmart seems to have the 22 Magnum version but none of the LR.
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
CCI standard velocity.

Link Posted: 7/26/2010 3:09:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

OK well all of the Walmarts at least in this region do not carry this, thanks for the link. I have seen this box in .22 WMR at Walmart but not LR, I actually just got back from my 4th walmart and they only have Dynapoint WMR.

Rich

Never seen a wallyworld carry it here either, I did buy a few cases from my sot though and he go tit from a ammo distrubitor
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 3:22:58 AM EDT
[#35]
I suppose this also applies to a 10.3" AR with a CMMG Stainless kit and Outback II, so this is a tag of sorts.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 3:25:55 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rich

Never seen a wallyworld carry it here either, I did buy a few cases from my sot though and he go tit from a ammo distrubitor
I have about 15K of it, when you find it, buy it.

Link Posted: 7/26/2010 6:16:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Aguila/Fiochi is what I have stacked deep on my shelves for sub sonic.  I still have a few thousand of the Remington subsonics - don't shoot them much anymore.  Got tired of the lack of bang every 20-50 shots.  For standard its all about CCI standard.  For high velocity - CCI (high velocity or stingers), Federal bulk or Wolf match.

I haven't been able to find Dynapoints for the quantity and price I'm willing to pay.  Have used them - they're pretty nice.
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Winchester Dynapoints.

+1
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Tough to get anything but high and hyper velocity in my local Wal-Mart. Plenty of Remington Subsonic, though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 12:50:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

surprisingly good stuff
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#41]
We had some sub 95deg temps today so I loaded up a few mags with the Federal Target and Aguilla 40gr sub sonics. Both seemed about equal in report, the loudest was the bolt slap. I got a few of the 60gr to feed in the 10/22 but as expected it's a bad choice. Actually the few 60gr's that fired were not all that quiet, they were supressor quiet but honestly the 40gr ones sounded much better. #1 problem with the 60gr ones was the shell was too short and would not properly eject, a few did but most of them did not clear the bolt before it closed.

Link Posted: 8/2/2010 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#42]
CCI Standard Velocity. Remember that the speed of sound varies with temperature, altitude, and humidity. Rem Susonic goes supersonic once every ten rounds or so out of my 16" 10/22 in humid, 65-70 degree air but almost never in dry, 100+ air. Check with the mfg first but a bit of water could help with FRP. Also holding the bolt closed with your thumb eliminates action noise.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#43]
I have yet to try some water or wire pulling gel even though he said it was OK. The manuf. is my 07 and working on a few more projects for me, we tried water in a few test shots but me with my poor ears could not tell much of a difference.
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

surprisingly good stuff

I really like this stuff..................other than the cost...but it's really good quality ammo!!!

teamroper

Link Posted: 8/13/2010 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have an SWR integrally suppressed 10/22 barrel, and I shoot Remington Golden Saber bulk pack bullets.

Never seen those before. I've seen the Golden .22's

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Winchester Dynapoints.

+1

Well after lot's of searching and waiting I finally found a load of Dynapoints and bought 1,000 of them, glad I did not buy 5K! I just fired about 20 rounds and it was loud, much louder than my Aguillas and louder than Federal Gold (RedBox). So what gives, are there more than 1 type of dynapoints, other than the Magnum ones out there?

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Well since I have never seen Dynapoints before I don't know what to expect so all I can say these are copper plated hollowpoints. Maybe I'll take a pic of the box and round tmrow and post it. Actually yesterday I got one of the plastic bolt stops so today I installed it prior to going outside (yes I am spoiled and have my own range at home ) so I also had a LITTLE BIT quieter bolt slap reward. Overall it should have been quieter but it was not, I even fired some Aguila alongside of the Dynapoints and then fired some Federal...nope...

I am chomping at the bit now waiting for a Savage MKII bull barrel varmit stock to roll in, got some 60grain snipers waiting for the bolt action. Quicker it get's here the quicker it get's to the smith for threading!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:32:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
CCI standard velocity.

+1 my go to bullet for suppressed .22 shooting. I also like CCI sub sonics and aguila subs and SSS's.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:23:29 AM EDT
[#50]
I use CCI Subsonic in my S&W M&P15-22 with a TAC65.  It is scary quiet.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top