Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2017 3:44:02 PM EDT
I was looking up some info on what NFA items it’s possible to own in Illinois and I came across a page on guntrustlawyer.com that states that “only Class 9” DDs are permitted.  I’ve searched high and low but I can’t find anything that tells me what a Class 9 DD is (or any other “class” of destructive device).  Anyone have any idea?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:04:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Class 9 is a US DOT classification of hazardous materials.

CLASS 9 – MISCELLANEOUS DANGEROUS GOODS

Miscellaneous dangerous goods are substances and articles which during transport present a danger or hazard not covered by other classes. This class encompasses, but is not limited to, environmentally hazardous substances, substances that are transported at elevated temperatures, miscellaneous articles and substances, genetically modified organisms and micro-organisms and (depending on the method of transport) magnetized materials and aviation regulated substances.
View Quote
http://www.dgiglobal.com/classes#misc
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAZMAT_Class_9_Miscellaneous

§ 173.140 Class 9—Definitions.

For the purposes of this subchapter, miscellaneous hazardous material (Class 9) means a material which presents a hazard during transportation but which does not meet the definition of any other hazard class. This class includes:

(a) Any material which has an anesthetic, noxious or other similar property which could cause extreme annoyance or discomfort to a flight crew member so as to prevent the correct performance of assigned duties; or

(b) Any material that meets the definition in § 171.8 of this subchapter for an elevated temperature material, a hazardous substance, a hazardous waste, or a marine pollutant.
View Quote
49 CFR 173.140 - CLASS 9-DEFINITIONS

That's my guess as to what they're referring to.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:47:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe they’d be referring to a type 9 FFL which is a dealer in destructive devices.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#3]
That makes more sense. Maybe they’re saying you must hold a Type 9 FFL to have them registered to you.
Who issues the FOID cards? See what they have to say about it. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top