Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2017 12:12:30 PM EDT
If not, why not?

I don't own a 40mm yet but am on the fence about it and this would be a must buy.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#1]
huh?   is there a 40mm suppressor that I missed somewhere?  
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
huh?   is there a 40mm suppressor that I missed somewhere?  
View Quote
I think he's talking about a beehive "round" which suppresses the .22s as they're fired, not a suppressor for a 40MM.

It would be interesting, I'm not really sure how one would work and/or how effective it would be, though I'm sure someone much smarter at actually building suppressors could potentially figure it out... but I've never actually heard of such a thing being available on the market.

~Augee
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I think he's talking about a beehive "round" which suppresses the .22s as they're fired, not a suppressor for a 40MM.

It would be interesting, I'm not really sure how one would work and/or how effective it would be, though I'm sure someone much smarter at actually building suppressors could potentially figure it out... but I've never actually heard of such a thing being available on the market.

~Augee
View Quote
This is what I was thinking. Maybe a 2-3" barrel with 5"s of suppressor. It wouldn't be very practical, but since when has that been a concern on ARF?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Two technical hurdles would be length of the round to allow it to be loaded and then alignment of the barrels and baffles.  I'm sure it's possible but I don't think it would be very quiet.
Could always use subsonic rounds which would help.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Beehives are not rifled, so how could you stabilize the round to avoid a baffle strike?
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Guys, guys, you're missing the potential here.

Just make the damn round 9" long so it'd be flush with the end of an M203A2 barrel, and give it rifled barrels *and* suppressors.

...again, I have no idea what the technical hurdles to this would be, and I can think of very few practical uses for one... but you've gotta admit, it'd be fun.

OP--you should post this in one of the Silencer subforums instead of the DD subforum, where it will get a lot more traffic, I bet one of those crazy machinists in the Form 1 Suppressor forum would not only figure out a way to make it happen, but end up building a prototype.

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Beehives are not rifled, so how could you stabilize the round to avoid a baffle strike?
View Quote
Mine is. 10 shot.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Guys, guys, you're missing the potential here.

Just make the damn round 9" long so it'd be flush with the end of an M203A2 barrel, and give it rifled barrels *and* suppressors.

...again, I have no idea what the technical hurdles to this would be, and I can think of very few practical uses for one... but you've gotta admit, it'd be fun.

OP--you should post this in one of the Silencer subforums instead of the DD subforum, where it will get a lot more traffic, I bet one of those crazy machinists in the Form 1 Suppressor forum would not only figure out a way to make it happen, but end up building a prototype.

~Augee
View Quote
Augee, that would work!
I had mine out over the 4th of July with red and green tracers and it got shot the most of everything I brought.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Me thinks manufacturing would be pretty simple, but the question is would the ATF want one stamp for the entire unit, or a stamp per bore?
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Me thinks manufacturing would be pretty simple, but the question is would the ATF want one stamp for the entire unit, or a stamp per bore?
View Quote
I would think if you built it with one tube, It would be one silencer regardless of the number of bores.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I think it would have to contain many tubes, including one for each barrel. It would be an interesting rig.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Machine a 8" long beehive out of aluminum. Ream out the back for 3" rimfire barrel inserts. Turn down the od to 38mm. Machine the front 5" section into a monocore with the already drilled bore holes. Debur. Thread on a 1mm thick 40mm od tube.  I am no machinist, but it could be done. It would be a one off or a limited production thing, so it would be extremely expensive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top