Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2017 9:05:08 PM EDT
Does anyone have any load data for loading those M181/2/3 14.5mm arty trainer projectiles into 20 gauge shotgun shells?

I recall loaded rounds being available a few years ago and I've read of a few people having fun with these in a 20 GA slug gun.

I know this isn't really a DD question, but I figured if someone has experience with these, they probably visit here.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Disregard.  I found load data direct from .Mil for the M31 rounds.  It is light enough that I have no concerns about using it in a shotgun.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:53:12 PM EDT
[#2]
7-8 grains of x-700 powder in a 3" case.  Wrap 1 revolution of black vinyl tape around midsection then in the hull.

Another recipe is 13.4 grains of IMR 800 x over BPI SG was and skived 3" hull.  Through a H&R Ultra Slug Hunter.

Can you share a link to your data?
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
7-8 grains of x-700 powder in a 3" case.  Wrap 1 revolution of black vinyl tape around midsection then in the hull.

Another recipe is 13.4 grains of IMR 800 x over BPI SG was and skived 3" hull.  Through a H&R Ultra Slug Hunter.

Can you share a link to your data?
View Quote

Thanks.  Your load is double what the mil uses, but mil is trying to simulate AAA.

Third post down, second link should be mil load data

Edit- it's the third link down on the third post of page 2.

Edit 2- now that I look at it again, I'm not sure if that info is directly from mil/gov.  However, it's light enough that I wouldn't be too concerned.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:13:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I've seen that data before.
If you look, they are going for 100mps which is the minimum velocity to arm the device. That works out to about 350fps.  It has a simple setback safety sleeve in the nose which gets pushed back to expose the point detonated firing pin.
I can attest to the fact that if you get below this velocity they just don't go off.
With 7 grain load that gets you to about 7-800 fps which gives a flatter trajectory and very reliable detonation with even thin objects like computer screens and refrigerator doors.
Also, if you shoot these through a ported shotgun barrel they can slow down the projo enough to detonate inside the barrel.  Makes for a lot of noise and smoke and excitement but hasn't damaged the firearm.  I chopped the barrel behind the ports and fixed the problem.

The above is for the point detonated variety.  To get the airburst type to go off you have to expose the translucent green base to burning powder.  This ignites the time delay which is either 3 or 6 seconds and is stamped in the nose.
These are usually loaded over a wad with a hole drilled in the center.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:48:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Where can you get the training rounds? I have heard of them but never seen them offered for sale.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#6]
looks like cdvs still has the projectiles still in stock.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Okent- good info.  Thanks!

BigHunt- I found some at a local gun show.  The only other source that I know of is posted above.

I paid $1 each for airburst ones.  I asked the vendor about the 183s (point det) and he said that he hasn't seen them in a while.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Since this topic has come up, I'll throw in a question.    I have seen the PD ones marked with both Yellow and Red paint, but I don't know what the difference is.

Is it a M183 vs M183A1?  If so does anybody know what changed?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I cannot find a difference searching the internet.
I've fired and disassembled both with no difference that I can tell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top