Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2016 2:34:32 PM EDT
I tried asking this in reloading but didn't get any replies.  

I'm wanting to stock up on powder so I can make rounds for my Havoc/Kaos launcher.  Last year I bought a bottle of Pyrodex FFG but in my reading it seems FFFG Black Powder is the way to go.  

Is this correct?  Does brand matter?  

Somewhat related....where do yall buy fuse and tubing at?  

Thanks

-Emt1581

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on what type of shell you are loading.

I use pistol powder in my shells.  Some shells take black power, others take smokeless powder.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on what type of shell you are loading.

I use pistol powder in my shells.  Some shells take black power, others take smokeless powder.

View Quote

In 37mm...what shells can use smokeless??

EDIT:  Nevermind, I remember those.  I think the disks turn me off because it's another component to worry about instead of just the shell and primer.

I use the anodized aluminum shells, I think they're from American Specialty.  

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes, I found the two piece shells with the smokeless powder blank and the copper bursting disk too much trouble as well.
View Quote

Yes, I agree.  I use the reloadableshells ones, and while great, the copper disks do cause concern.

An idea, and please tell me if Im wrong, but do you think the copper piece from gas checks would work?  Can you get just the gas check piece if you cast your own lead bullets?

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes you can buy gaschecks, I dont know if they would work  or not because its a small cup instead of a flat disk.but it would be much cheaper to buy copper sheet and a punch.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:15:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Picked up the FFFG at my dealers tonight.  He got me 2lbs.  Not sure how many rounds that'll give me.  But he said the distributor only gave him the two.  Then he said something about there being limits of how much can be transported because of how sensitive black powder is compared to smokeless.  Anything to that or was it just BS?  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:19:35 AM EDT
[#8]
The ffff black powder is intended for use with Flint lock as a ignition powder in the pan.
fff black powder is intended for pistol powder

if is intended for rifle use.

For lift charge I use pyrodex P and it works well.

The thing with black powder: it is measured by volume not weight
So 50 grs of ffff is not the same as 50 grs of ffff. With the finer grind you can easy over pressure the shell.

The ffff powder will be great for burst charge.

I buy my fuse and stuff from cannon fuse.com I make my own projectile from cardboard tubes old film cans  and 5hour energy drink. And lot of hot melt glue.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Picked up the FFFG at my dealers tonight.  He got me 2lbs.  Not sure how many rounds that'll give me.  But he said the distributor only gave him the two.  Then he said something about there being limits of how much can be transported because of how sensitive black powder is compared to smokeless.  Anything to that or was it just BS?  

-Emt1581
View Quote

Unless you have more restrictive local laws, it is 50lbs.   Which is kind of ironic since 25-50 lb of smokeless power in a private vehicle requires a portable magazine.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The ffff black powder is intended for use with Flint lock as a ignition powder in the pan.

So 50 grs of ffff is not the same as 50 grs of ffff. With the finer grind you can easy over pressure the shell.

I buy my fuse and stuff from cannon fuse.com I make my own projectile from cardboard tubes old film cans  and 5hour energy drink. And lot of hot melt glue.
View Quote

Is fffg useless for 37mm?  If not how do I use it?

What specific cannon fuse is best?

I also have ffg pyrodex but I was told thats last resort for 37mm...no?

Thanks!

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks!

-Emt1581
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Pyrodex P is the pyrodex equivalent for FFFg you have the right stuff.  

Any standard visco fuze is good for igniting payloads.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

-Emt1581

My black powder says fffg.  My pyrodex says ffg.

Just want to make sure both are ok.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:27:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Also, if there's visco fuze for smoke, signal, or burst/report payloads, it helps to slice the end of the fuze off at an angle to expose more of the powder core, and to paint the fuze with nitrocellulose lacquer (nail polish) and dip that in some of the lift charge powder so it ignites for sure.

Often the lift charge blows so fast,  and cools so quickly, especially in wide bores like a launcher that you don't get reliable ignition of bare fuze alone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, if there's visco fuze for smoke, signal, or burst/report payloads, it helps to slice the end of the fuze off at an angle to expose more of the powder core, and to paint the fuze with nitrocellulose lacquer (nail polish) and dip that in some of the lift charge powder so it ignites for sure.

Often the lift charge blows so fast,  and cools so quickly, especially in wide bores like a launcher that you don't get reliable ignition of bare fuze alone.

Yeah as AJ stated you definetly need to prime the fuze.  Real NC lacquer can be ordered from places like skylighter, or a reasonable substitute is dissolving ping-pong balls in acetone if you don't want to buy a full quart.   Fine FFFFg works great for priming the fuze.  Also when you cut the fuze use a sharp razor blade to avoid crushing the fuze core.  It will help with reliability.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Does color of the fuse matter?  At www.cannonfuse.com they have $7-$8 "ugly fuse" in red and pink and you get 50-65 feet of it.  Not sure what they get for shipping.  I just want to make sure I get the right stuff.  

If it helps, this will mainly be just for igniting whatever payload I stick in the tubes rather than cutting small pieces up to make firework rounds.  However, that being said, I'll probably experiment with those as well.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#16]
You need to watch how fast it burns

I use the red/white/blue from cannon fuse . com
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Does color of the fuse matter?  At www.cannonfuse.com they have $7-$8 "ugly fuse" in red and pink and you get 50-65 feet of it.  Not sure what they get for shipping.  I just want to make sure I get the right stuff.  

If it helps, this will mainly be just for igniting whatever payload I stick in the tubes rather than cutting small pieces up to make firework rounds.  However, that being said, I'll probably experiment with those as well.

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

The Pink is labeled as falling leaf.  This is meant to be cut up and used as a payload.  The pieces actually burn like a little mini road flare with a pink flame.

The red is standard visco and good for igniting payloads.  Make sure you test burn a piece of each lot to determine burn rates.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:29:38 AM EDT
[#18]
tagging as i just got a 37mm
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#19]
BLACK to send it . Misc pyro powder for breakers etc...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top