Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have never been able to snug my HAD up enough to keep it from shooting forward under recoil, enough so that it actually has a custom hole in it. ??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been perfectly happy with my Rifles Only covers, I've used the HAD in 2 classes and it still looks brand new [shrug]

I have never been able to snug my HAD up enough to keep it from shooting forward under recoil, enough so that it actually has a custom hole in it. ??

Pro tip (RO even includes this on their site), wrap the cord around the rear of the can or muzzle device and it’s impossible for it to slide forward

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#2]
@Mageever all these people saying "bike peg" like it's a bad thing? I think the knurling looks fantastic.

Does Jay have one of these yet? Polonium has set a high performance bar but clearly with commensurately high backpressure. There's no Omega556 backpressure metric yet but you can get a pretty good idea from the bolt close times and Polonium looks a lot like a Saker in that regard. Very curious to see where Sierra 5 lands in this constellation.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
@Mageever all these people saying "bike peg" like it's a bad thing? I think the knurling looks fantastic.

Does Jay have one of these yet? Polonium has set a high performance bar but clearly with commensurately high backpressure. There's no Omega556 backpressure metric yet but you can get a pretty good idea from the bolt close times and Polonium looks a lot like a Saker in that regard. Very curious to see where Sierra 5 lands in this constellation.
View Quote

I don't expect anyone from dead air commenting on this until they actually reveal it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't think the Polonium tested very well at all in Pew Science testing. I hope it's not seen as the bar to beat. It had very poor @ear performance. Maybe that was good 5-10 years ago, but the market has done better lately.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing tests well on a an untuned mk18.  There is no free lunch and I doubt you can have a low at ear performance and anything like good sound control at the muzzle with the amount of pressure/unburnt powder on a 10.5.

The polonium did excellent for what it was designed for... in that it actually controlled muzzle Db really well on very short barrel.  The caveat to that is that you need to throw a brt tube or abg to take advantage of that so that you can keep the pressure moving through the can.  It looks like a great dedicated rifle can.  If you want a part time rifle can then get something like a oss or sandman and deal with mediocre overall sound/flash performance.

You can fix backpressue/gassiness.  You can't fix poor muzzle performance.  I'm curious what can you think actually has done well *holistically*.  There may be a better balanced can for a 10.5 but it seems obvious that the new coaxial 30 cal cans don't give the same benefits on these systems that they do on a longer 308.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#6]
The poor @ear performance relates directly to the untuned Mk18 host. First you need the can to be quiet at the muzzle, for it to be quiet at your ear by the time it reaches it. The sound field of the can may help to spare your ear as well. But if on a gas operated semi-auto, you have to at least tune it back down to unsuppressed function speed or chamber/port pop is going to contribute heavily to the noise @ear.

People excited about the Polonium are people who build/tune their hosts around the can and not the other way around. That isn't to say it's wrong to get a flow-through can like an OSS instead and leave the host untouched, that too has advantages and disadvantages. But right now you have the confluence of an understanding by consumers that long-length gas system, high operating system weight, and tuned gas port are the recipe for mitigating backpressure on the host, coupled with an understanding that tight bores (and thus higher backpressure, all else being equal) are necessary after all for high sound performance on 5.56 cans.

What has been missing are modern cans w/ HUB format that are a good combination of sound attenuation performance/durability/weight, high quality manufacturing and materials, and low price. IOW Saker-killers. I hope/expect the Sierra 5 to do well in this regard too (love my Nomad-Ti), but we won't really know unless/until DA runs it through Pew Science. Given how crowded the comeback of dedicated 5.56 cans on the market is fixin' to be, if I'm a can manufacturer, I'm trying to beat others to the Pew data punch like OCL just did with Polonium.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 7:33:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The polonium did excellent for what it was designed for... in that it actually controlled muzzle Db really well on very short barrel.  The caveat to that is that you need to throw a brt tube or abg to take advantage of that so that you can keep the pressure moving through the can.  It looks like a great dedicated rifle can.  If you want a part time rifle can then get something like a oss or sandman and deal with mediocre overall sound/flash performance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People excited about the Polonium are people who build/tune their hosts around the can and not the other way around. That isn't to say it's wrong to get a flow-through can like an OSS instead and leave the host untouched, that too has advantages and disadvantages. But right now you have the confluence of an understanding by consumers that long-length gas system, high operating system weight, and tuned gas port are the recipe for mitigating backpressure on the host, coupled with an understanding that tight bores (and thus higher backpressure, all else being equal) are necessary after all for high sound performance on 5.56 cans.
That's a good point. It probably would be a good suppressor for a rifle properly built and tuned to be suppressed with a high back pressure can, or maybe a bolt action.

I have a lot of semi-auto rifles and many of them are not AR15s. I guess I look at modern cans from the point of view of wanting suppressors that can be used on many hosts, including those that can't be tuned, or that I won't tune because reasons.

But you guys are actually making me reconsider the Polonium specifically for use on purpose built and tuned, dedicated suppressed AR15 SBRs.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
@Mageever all these people saying "bike peg" like it's a bad thing? I think the knurling looks fantastic....
View Quote

When I was a kid, all the cool kids had bike pegs.  

OK, I lied.  We didn't even have pegs for our Kuwaharas.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Agreed and I would bet Todd wishes this thread would just die.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm assuming Dead Air won't be answering those questions until May 27th

Agreed and I would bet Todd wishes this thread would just die.

I really do wish I could answer everyone's questions.  Sorry!  

On a positive note, This wasn't some embargoed launch where we were trying to keep everything ultra secret.  The stuff being leaked is what we needed to give wholesalers and dealers so they could place orders and have product on the shelves for you guys.  In the end, the ATF will probably screw that up.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#11]
^ I loved those big old Maglights.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Not all knurls are created equal.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not all knurls are created equal.
View Quote

That’s what she said.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
^ I loved those big old Maglights.
View Quote

I hurts when you make fun of my new Sierra 5 like that....I have it on good authority that its knurles are the knurliest.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I hurts when you make fun of my new Sierra 5 like that....I have it on good authority that its knurles are the knurliest.
View Quote
The gnarliest knurles?
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 5:25:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Got the teaser last night.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:31:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Any chance of a non-HUB, dedicated Xeno version?
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:33:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
^ That would be cool! Should make it lighter and stronger.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:02:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Any chance of a pull-it-off-the-line-before-it-gets-to-the-knurling-step option?
View Quote
There's always Emory paper  
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Yah i wish it was styled like the sandman, I'm never guna get that bmx comparison out of my head. But for that this would have me seriously conflicted v an rc2. Atleast it's just the tube, maybe they'll come out with another option.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Any chance of a pull-it-off-the-line-before-it-gets-to-the-knurling-step option?
View Quote

We had some we pulled out of production because the knurl wasn't aggressive enough.  We called these "smooth brain" failures.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:17:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really.  They're being sold in kits for now.  The easiest thing to get what you want here is to torque it in to 20 ft-lbs with Rocksett.  The Xeno takes a 1-1/8" socket, so it's easy to torque in and out.  That'll be permanent until you don't want it to be.

Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:58:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I find the design of the Sierra to be aesthetically pleasing. I'll most likely be ordering one when it comes out.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not really.  They're being sold in kits for now.  The easiest thing to get what you want here is to torque it in to 20 ft-lbs with Rocksett.  The Xeno takes a 1-1/8" socket, so it's easy to torque in and out.  That'll be permanent until you don't want it to be.

View Quote

This is one of my favorite things about Xeno. I don't want any more adapters that can't be coaxed with an impact if necessary.

Any chance the Sierra 5 can safely swallow 6mm? I know .243 is bigger than .224, but it seems like some 5.56 cans these days are coming sized to accommodate 6mm, and 6mm rifles seem to be multiplying in my safe lately....
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I really do wish I could answer everyone's questions.  Sorry!  

On a positive note, This wasn't some embargoed launch where we were trying to keep everything ultra secret.  The stuff being leaked is what we needed to give wholesalers and dealers so they could place orders and have product on the shelves for you guys.  In the end, the ATF will probably screw that up.  
View Quote
Good luck with the actual product launch and I hope you guys sell a ton!
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:35:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Put it over there in the 75% off clearance bin with my name on it.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/840/283/350.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:

lol you hope so rite? since the theme is modularity here's hoping they'll do two tube options to go with the two mount options.

Quoted:

any photos of it with the keymo adapter? testing numbers/ vid of it being shot through nv, each with various barrel lengths?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:22:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think the theme these days is sell them full price on Silencer Shop with no finish and guys will buy them out as a special edition. Then there will be loads of requests about when they are getting more in.

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#30]
I think it looks great. The knurling will help hold a can cover in place.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Not gonna lie; it looks badass.

Quoted:

I find the design of the Sierra to be aesthetically pleasing. I'll most likely be ordering one when it comes out.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Countdown til tomorrow. Am sure to tune into the IG live as I know there will be a huge ass party at DA headquarters. Probably confetti and kazoos and plenty of balloons.

Eta: Bet they be taking orders to dealers live as well.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Am sure to tune into the IG live as I know there will be a huge ass party at DA headquarters. Probably confetti and kazoos and plenty of balloons.

View Quote

Maybe some full auto RPD noise making and Mike's battle taxi crushing a car!
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Maybe some full auto RPD noise making and Mike's battle taxi crushing a car!
View Quote

I'm gonna definitely tune in!
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#35]
@Mageever can you answer questions now?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Backorder at Silencer Shop
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:13:57 PM EDT
[#38]
I just bought one from Capitol Armory. I want to try the thing where they ship it to my house. We’ll see how this goes.

Anyone here done this yet?

I think they’ve been doing it for TX residents for a while.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Will have them next week, waiting on form 3.

https://hansohnbrothers.com/shop/?_sft_product_cat=223-caliber
View Quote

Nice....will be watching out and grab one. Thanks much!
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Been waiting on this for a good while now! This will bump the Sandman S I currently have on my SG553SB most of the time over to my Keymo 7.62 guns. Not a ton of options for a 9" 5.56 gun that is threaded 14x1 LH!
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Not a bad price

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#42]
I like! The knurling looks good IMO. More surface area means it should cool down a little quicker.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Anybody know what the flash signature of this can will be with the flash hider endcap? Benchmark is RC2.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Anybody know what the flash signature of this can will be with the flash hider endcap? Benchmark is RC2.
View Quote

We know as much as you do
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

We know as much as you do
View Quote

I was mainly hoping Mageever would pop in here.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm watching their Instagram live presentation. I didn't see the very beginning, but everything I've heard that wasn't advertised is better than I was expecting. Back pressure was very much considered in it's design and Mike said 6 baffles. While host-dependent of course, like a lot of these metrics, he says it compares to the Sandman K in back pressure.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#47]
I bought two from CA because they had a 10% code for doing so.

They have an FFL in my state...so I'm interested to see how that goes as well.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

What they have a code?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Care to share said code? I may pick one up.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#50]
So on the IG live dead air just had, a few people asked how it was compared to a sandman s with a 556 end cap and papas said the sierra 5 would be a few decibels quieter, with a different tone.

It was asked a bunch and I was also curious, so I figured I'd post it here.

Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top