Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Just got approval on mine today.  I'll pick it up tomorrow.  Mine is low serial number SR50015X.  I'll check the baffle and report back.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well my Sierra5 is on its way back to Dead Air/KG.      Now for the 50-60 day wait......
View Quote

How long before you heard from dead air I emailed them Friday and nothing yet.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How long before you heard from dead air I emailed them Friday and nothing yet.
View Quote

They sent me a link immediately to do their RMA process.  I’d try contacting them again.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:47:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well my Sierra5 is on its way back to Dead Air/KG.      Now for the 50-60 day wait......
View Quote

Fnka that's too damn long of a wait. Sorry brother. I was between the S5 and HRT... glad I went HRT at this point.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 12:03:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Fnka that's too damn long of a wait. Sorry brother. I was between the S5 and HRT... glad I went HRT at this point.
View Quote

I thought so too.

Wasn’t there someone here that sent theirs in and just recently got it back?  Was it the full 60 days?
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 12:44:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I thought so too.

Wasn’t there someone here that sent theirs in and just recently got it back?  Was it the full 60 days?
View Quote

That is pretty far from ideal, obviously.  I love my Nomad 30 and Nomad LT, they have been excellent cans in all respects.  They are, of course, different products from the Sierra 5 but I can't help but wonder what process is causing the failures in these.  I hope they can fix this, for past and future buyers.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I thought so too.

View Quote

@contax_shooter
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Got mine back in 8 days from the date it arrived at Norcross, GA. This short turnaround might be skewed since I personally reached out to Todd. The can has worked fine after warranty work.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Good to hear. He seems like a solid guy and good at engineering/designing cans, but I can't say the same for the QA department.

Would anyone be willing to pay a little more per suppressor to ensure this type of clusterfuck is nonexistent or extremely rare? I would. I've seen Surefires with baffle/end cap strikes but nothing like this.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Good to hear. He seems like a solid guy and good at engineering/designing cans, but I can't say the same for the QA department.

Would anyone be willing to pay a little more per suppressor to ensure this type of clusterfuck is nonexistent or extremely rare? I would. I've seen Surefires with baffle/end cap strikes but nothing like this.
View Quote

Shouldn’t have to pay more. Dead Air isn’t exactly the value option. They aren’t the most expensive cans, but they do enough volume that they should be able to provide a quality product. I was hot to snag a primal and another mask, but I am having second thoughts
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Are these ever going to be back in stock at Silencer Shop?
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Capitol Armory has them and they are outstanding to deal with.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Got mine back in 8 days from the date it arrived at Norcross, GA. This short turnaround might be skewed since I personally reached out to Todd. The can has worked fine after warranty work.
View Quote

Damn, lucky. I'm on day 58 waiting for my repair to return to me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

my SS rep said for whatever reason the KM S5s are getting easier to find, but the xeno spec'd ones are not getting any easier to find. we got 3 or so from SS last week for the store.

what i had to do when i bought mine was find a shop that had it (other than mine, pain), and then sell off the keymo stuff to fund the xeno stuff.

its crazy to think this can has been out for what, a year? almost a year? and its still hard to get.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#15]
It would be interesting to see what the welding instructions are for the baffle stack. Dead air would provide this to the manufacturing company.

For this to be labeled as a “hard use” can and then for the baffles to come loose at 200 rounds, there is no way the baffle stack is fully welded or even stitch welded half of the circumference. What is the point of a heavier can with an outer sleeve if the baffles will self destruct internally?

Given the safety/engineering factors used when designing pressure parts, this is a design issue and not a QC issue.

It’s not like all of the other DA cans are failing also, hell you can see the welds on the nomads and they look great from everyone I’ve seen.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Decided to time and Rocksett the 3 prong onto the barrel. Tomorrow will be her maiden voyage, let's see if we can rattle some baffles!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#17]
My two favorite cans so far. They sound great for their size.

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Last night I had a pre-train up for some Sheriff deputies who needed to be brought up to speed for next weeks NVG Combat Gunfighter Class. I was really busy, but shot a mag of Federal M193, MK318 Mod 0, 77gr IMI . I'm more than pleased with the Sierra 5 on a 11.5" barrel. From my perspective under NVG duals I was never aware of flash. Asked the person beside me to watch for performance. Was told it look great. I'm satisfied, probably won't even try to pay attention to it next week.

I know it's not scientific, but I'm not blinding the person to my left or right now.  It sounds great and seems to look great. I have other things to work on, suppressor performance is no longer one of them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:37:44 AM EDT
[#19]
@Fongman

Are you running any kind of adjustable gas?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
@Fongman

Are you running any kind of adjustable gas?
View Quote

No sir. KAC SR15 Mod 2 11.5" I don't have a problem with the gas even on weak side drills. BUT with NODs my head is not on the rifle w/ IR. And when passive, I'm using a Unity mount, I really think that gets my head/eyes above the gas flow. I'll get a strong wiff of it from time to time, but rarely get the eye burn. (Obviously, during the daylight Unity/T2 full time.)

My Mod 1 w/ 16" NX8 w/ RMR at 12o'clock has my TurboK dedicated to it. I'm fine with the gas on that upper as well. But the Sierra 5 seems to produce less gas blow back on the 11.5 than the TurboK (gen 1) has on the 16". If I have any performance issues it is rare to be able to contribute it to gas in the face. I'll have to find other excuses.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Thank you for the reply. I'm still stuck in the poors bracket so nods are a non issue for me lol.

I'm running a Bootleg carrier in a 6933 upper and a T2 on a G lower 1/3. Tomorrow will be my first go with the S5. The only thing I have to compare it to is a Nomad, but from the reports it appears I'll be happy. I'm going to bring the Colt carrier with to compare it and the Bootleg.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thank you for the reply. I'm still stuck in the poors bracket so nods are a non issue for me lol.

I'm running a Bootleg carrier in a 6933 upper and a T2 on a G lower 1/3. Tomorrow will be my first go with the S5. The only thing I have to compare it to is a Nomad, but from the reports it appears I'll be happy. I'm going to bring the Colt carrier with to compare it and the Bootleg.
View Quote

Look forward to your report.

I also have a Nomad, but have only shot it on a 308 LWRC REPR so can't make a good comparison.

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:12:14 AM EDT
[#23]
What serial numbers are affected by the baffle stack issue? I have one awaiting approval, SR5067xx, is that within the boundaries of having an issue with the baffles?

Since it's still pending, can it be sent to DeadAir while I wait, if needed?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:19:41 AM EDT
[#24]
I don’t know if there’s ever been a range specified, unfortunately. If Dead Air has managed to fix the QC/QA issue, it looks like your can is one of the newest out there (my inmate is in the 62XX range), so hopefully neither you nor I have anything to worry about.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Finally got mine approved last month. Took about 7 months total with eform. I was able to shoot the can quite a bit while in jail as well. I've shot about 1500 rounds or so of 5.56 since I bought the can, split between a SF 762RC2 Mini and the S5, with a bias towards the newer S5. Not quite 1000 rounds, but should be close to it. Host is a SOLGW/FCD 13.7 build with PW Nox muzzle device. I've gotten the gun handguard hot enough I can't hold it without gloves on several occasions, but I'm not mag dumping as rapidly as possible either. No issues thus far. Baffles are still tight. As the can was in jail, I just torqued on the keymo adapter on the range, no loctite or anything, and it hasn't moved at all. Still tight. I think it sounds a little better than the 762rc2 mini on a 14.5 URGI, but with a little more blowback, for whatever that comparison is worth. All rounds on the S5 thus far have been at an indoor range as that is where it was in jail. Overall very happy so far. Hopefully will continue to be issue free moving forward.
SN SR5-018XX.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don’t know if there’s ever been a range specified, unfortunately. If Dead Air has managed to fix the QC/QA issue, it looks like your can is one of the newest out there (my inmate is in the 62XX range), so hopefully neither you nor I have anything to worry about.
View Quote

I’ve seen someone post it on Reddit and it was 1500 and earlier it seems
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 11:57:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Got my S5 (Keymo, S/N SR5-026XX) out for a short range session today just to get some initial impressions. I also tested a Bootleg carrier vs the Colt bcg I built the rifle with. Nothing scientific just some dirt clumps and steel.

Quick specs: Colt upper, bcg, and 11.5" LE6933 barrel. Barrel is one of the newer .750 gas journals, I don't know what size the gas port is. I'm running a Geissele Super 42 with H2 buffer and G ACH.

Attachment Attached File

Colt bcg with simple "C" stamp..
Attachment Attached File

Bootleg carrier set to "suppressed" Colt bolt installed..
Attachment Attached File

Ammo was handloaded.. 55gr Hornady fmj, Rem 223 brass, CCI 450, 24gr Hodgdon Benchmark. Has always been reliable and fairly accurate in all my rifles.

I started with the Colt bcg. 10 rounds about 1 per second, waited 30 seconds then dumped 20 as fast as I could. I let the rifle cool for 5 minutes then repeated the same with the Bootleg carrier. The Bootleg had less port noise than the Colt and stayed less gassy for a longer period of rapid fire. After about 5-10 rounds with the Colt it started to get into the eyes whereas it took almost the full 20 before the Bootleg carrier gassed me out.

Onto the can itself. I was pleased with the overall sound, not a sharp tone at all especially considering its size, but the only thing I have to compare it to that I've ran on the rifle is my Nomad and that's apples to oranges. A little gassier than I expected but not horrible. Quite pleased with the sound and back pressure, especially once dynamic, then it’s really a non issue. I finished my remaining 40 rounds by shooting pairs into steel then paper. Just some basic slow-ish drills.

Now my gripe, and this is probably a learning curve and/or me. I'm new to Keymo. I've got about 2000ish+ rounds thru my Nomad/Xeno with several hosts and calibers. Rock friggin solid, no complaints. After about the first 10 shots I noticed the can was loose/wobbly. I cleared the gun and check for end cap strikes, it was clean. Grabbed a glove and cranked it down good. Came loose again and did so ever so often until I had about 50-60 rounds thru it. After I got it hot it stayed tight for the remaining 40 rounds.

Overall I'm pretty happy, I want to put another several hundred rounds thru it before I start with POI and accuracy tests. Just give it an old fashioned beating before the baffles start to rattle, hopefully not??. Checked the inside and endcap after and all looked good!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:06:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Got my S5 (Keymo, S/N SR5-026XX) out for a short range session today just to get some initial impressions. I also tested a Bootleg carrier vs the Colt bcg I built the rifle with. Nothing scientific just some dirt clumps and steel.

Quick specs: Colt upper, bcg, and 11.5" LE6933 barrel. Barrel is one of the newer .750 gas journals, I don't know what size the gas port is. I'm running a Geissele Super 42 with H2 buffer and G ACH.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/577174/20230529_184812_jpg-2834184.JPG

Colt bcg with simple "C" stamp..
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/577174/20230529_185020_jpg-2834185.JPG

Bootleg carrier set to "suppressed" Colt bolt installed..
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/577174/20230529_185029_jpg-2834186.JPG

Ammo was handloaded.. 55gr Hornady fmj, Rem 223 brass, CCI 450, 24gr Hodgdon Benchmark. Has always been reliable and fairly accurate in all my rifles.

I started with the Colt bcg. 10 rounds about 1 per second, waited 30 seconds then dumped 20 as fast as I could. I let the rifle cool for 5 minutes then repeated the same with the Bootleg carrier. The Bootleg had less port noise than the Colt and stayed less gassy for a longer period of rapid fire. After about 5-10 rounds with the Colt it started to get into the eyes whereas it took almost the full 20 before the Bootleg carrier gassed me out.

Onto the can itself. I was pleased with the overall sound, not a sharp tone at all especially considering its size, but the only thing I have to compare it to that I've ran on the rifle is my Nomad and that's apples to oranges. A little gassier than I expected but not horrible. Quite pleased with the sound and back pressure, especially once dynamic, then it’s really a non issue. I finished my remaining 40 rounds by shooting pairs into steel then paper. Just some basic slow-ish drills.

Now my gripe, and this is probably a learning curve and/or me. I'm new to Keymo. I've got about 2000ish+ rounds thru my Nomad/Xeno with several hosts and calibers. Rock friggin solid, no complaints. After about the first 10 shots I noticed the can was loose/wobbly. I cleared the gun and check for end cap strikes, it was clean. Grabbed a glove and cranked it down good. Came loose again and did so ever so often until I had about 50-60 rounds thru it. After I got it hot it stayed tight for the remaining 40 rounds.

Overall I'm pretty happy, I want to put another several hundred rounds thru it before I start with POI and accuracy tests. Just give it an old fashioned beating before the baffles start to rattle, hopefully not??. Checked the inside and endcap after and all looked good!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/577174/20230529_194941_jpg-2834216.JPG
View Quote

Was the can loose on the keymo mount or was the mount loose on your muzzle device?
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Keymo was loose on the muzzle device. Flash hider is secured via an unnecessary amount of Rocksett.

I also made sure to bring the spanner wrenches and ensure the keymo was as tight as I could get it to the can itself.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:22:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Keymo was loose on the muzzle device. Flash hider is secured via an unnecessary amount of Rocksett.

I also made sure to bring the spanner wrenches and ensure the keymo was as tight as I could get it to the can itself.
View Quote

Dead air states to mount and unmount a new keymo 20 or so times to wear it in a little and it won’t be an issue so much. The clicking will smooth out and get softer
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#31]
That had me wondering. I watched several of the Keymo related videos on the DA YouTube channel before I hit the range and put it on and removed it about a dozen times beforehand. After I got home I ran thru that sequence two dozen more times.

Hopefully it was just because it was new and needed some break in. I examined the can when I got home to include removing the front cap.  Everything looks good, so I'll chalk it up to inexperience. I'll  just have to make sure I get it tight and inspect it regularly.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Dead air states to mount and unmount a new keymo 20 or so times to wear it in a little and it won’t be an issue so much. The clicking will smooth out and get softer
View Quote

our shop sandman has a silent keymo now its been used to many times. i cant just listen for the ratchet. ive gotta watch it.

that being said. im an idiot for not buying a xeno mount when i sold the keymo stuff off my sierra5. i cant get the mount anywhere now. i sure hope DA can get them back in stock. im due for this puppy in 30-60 days.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

our shop sandman has a silent keymo now its been used to many times. i cant just listen for the ratchet. ive gotta watch it.

that being said. im an idiot for not buying a xeno mount when i sold the keymo stuff off my sierra5. i cant get the mount anywhere now. i sure hope DA can get them back in stock. im due for this puppy in 30-60 days.
View Quote

I plan on putting another couple hundred thru my Keymo but I'm so used to the Xeno stuff I already have it has me questioning my decision to stay with Keymo.

I would like to pick up one of the LMT adapters, as I have  a DA Xeno muzzle brake I took off the rifle in the first place. Xeno is just so simple and I have no qualms with it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 12:32:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The clicking isn’t required for the system to work. It’s a thread to taper system just like the Xeno is. I have about 13-14 keymo mounts and half of them have zero clicks in them. The clutch plate wears in. I’ve also only ever had one come loose once and it was user error for not cranking it down hard enough. Luckily no strikes or anything.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I would like to pick up one of the LMT adapters, as I have  a DA Xeno muzzle brake I took off the rifle in the first place. Xeno is just so simple and I have no qualms with it.
@Mesooohoppy  @NesralG

You can get the LMT version right now. It's in stock:

https://modernwarriors.com/product/lmt-advanced-technologies-regulator-mount-adapter-1.375x24mm-xeno-compatible-black

I compared it to the DA version here:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/NEW-Dead-Air-Xenomorph-Threaded-Taper-mount/20-513226/?page=16

Link Posted: 6/3/2023 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#36]
So I just received my stamp approval for mine
I notice the manufacture is Sound Moderation tech LLC
for those of you who had Sierra 5 issues, who made yours?  or did i miss something further up the thread?
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 11:05:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So I just received my stamp approval for mine
I notice the manufacture is Sound Moderation tech LLC
for those of you who had Sierra 5 issues, who made yours?  or did i miss something further up the thread?
View Quote

That’s their partner in Utah
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought Dead Air is actually Sound Moderation and Dead Air is just a trademark/marketing name.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I thought Dead Air is actually Sound Moderation and Dead Air is just a trademark/marketing name.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SMT is their FFL name.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#40]
To those who sent their can in for repair was there any kind of notification for  recieving it?
Or when they are sending it back?
First time dealing with suppressor warranty so just curious how it all goes down.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#41]
For documentation

Attachment Attached File

Using ASR…. Does that offend you?  Lol

I plan on swapping to keymo

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Mine got approved last week. I should make time to shoot it, especially since I work at a range.

I'm still amazed how small this thing is. Can on the left is a standard rex mg7. Everywhere is out of the standard xeno mounts, so I bought a LMT one.

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Nice to see some positive reports.

That LMT adapter is pretty slick, might have to skip the Rocksett on my Xeno and wait to hear more about those. ETA: Nevermind, saw the comparison in the other thread, not worth the 1/8" if I have a Xeno already.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Ran my S5 pretty hard last Saturday night at a NV class with 3G Strategic Consultants.

Flash suppression is awesome, and after shooting next to others with more expensive suppressors, the sound is really nice!

Only complaint - shot timer had more trouble picking up my shots than any other shooter.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:26:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ran my S5 pretty hard last Saturday night at a NV class with 3G Strategic Consultants.

Flash suppression is awesome, and after shooting next to others with more expensive suppressors, the sound is really nice!

Only complaint - shot timer had more trouble picking up my shots than any other shooter.
View Quote

Nice to hear that the flash suppression is good. What ammo were you using?
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#46]
My biggest complaint is the high back pressure. I’m running it primarily on a .058 gas port 12.5” with A5 buffer system and gas to face city, population me. I put a .30 cal end cap on it which helped only slightly. The Sig SLXC is a dream in comparison (comparing back pressure not necessarily suppression).
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:42:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

A really bad/flash batch of M193. Made my TurboK (gen1) look like a flame thrower. I asked several guys to watch for flash, they all reported not seeing much of anything.

Over 2k rounds now - good to go.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:49:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My biggest complaint is the high back pressure. I’m running it primarily on a .058 gas port 12.5” with A5 buffer system and gas to face city, population me. I put a .30 cal end cap on it which helped only slightly. The Sig SLXC is a dream in comparison (comparing back pressure not necessarily suppression).
View Quote

That sucks.

I guess I've been lucky so far. We did a lot of strong side / weak side shoulder transitions and I never once sensed any gas to the face. Having said that, under NODs my head is elevated even more. But even doing passive only drills strong/weak I never once noticed any gas blowback.

I did unfortunately have 2 more stovepipes, thought I had that problem figured out. Need to fix that issue, takes too damn long to clear that malfunction even when you have your technique down. (I didn't on the first one - had a loaded round in the chamber with the stovepipe. Forgot to clear the loaded round first. That was embarrassing...
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:43:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

A really bad/flash batch of M193. Made my TurboK (gen1) look like a flame thrower. I asked several guys to watch for flash, they all reported not seeing much of anything.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very good to hear. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#50]
I know 1 forum member got his can back pretty fast with the help of McGeever.....but besides him, are there anyone else that has sent their Sierra back and received it - how many days was it out?  Or if you sent it back, how many days has it been out so far?     Just curious.....
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top