Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 7:51:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
As soon as I told them what was going on I had an RMA by the time i hung up the phone. They stated the return time would be 50-60 day.
View Quote

Hopefully that is under promise and over deliver.

Link Posted: 5/3/2023 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#2]
i did my research before picking up my sierra 5 last month.

My dealer had a couple instock and when i inspected the baffles some had clean welds and some were blobby and inconsistent, one looked like half the baffle was welded.

hoping the one i picked with clean consistent weld holds up lol
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Forgot to mention:

I’ve had my Sierra 5 for nearly a month now and I am nearing the 1k round mark. I bought it strictly to run on my 11.5” SCAR 16 SBR.

I have several suppressors: Surefire RC2 5.56, Mini 2 5.56, Sandman S/K, and KGM R556-QD.

The Sierra 5 is right up there with the RC2 for my top 5.56 suppressors. Sound is similar, RC2 being slightly quieter but the Sierra 5 is less gassy and a little bit of a more compact package. I’m very happy with my purchase. Mine is a newer production suppressor so I have not had any issues. Just be sure to rocksett your hub adapter. I am using the keymo with a 3 prong flash hider.
View Quote

Thank you for the review

You Rocksett your Keymo Hub adapter? Not good enough to torque tighten the hub to the suppressor before each firing session? How many rounds does it take to come loose
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Finally received my Xeno Sierra 5 after 276 days. The day after it went back to Dead Air due to the fact the blast baffle was loose. This was back in March. I was able to shoot it while waiting and I was very impressed with the performance for the size. Running it on my 11.5 upper.

All in all Dead Airs customer service was very good. As soon as I told them what was going on I had an RMA by the time i hung up the phone. They stated the return time would be 50-60 day.

My .02
View Quote

How did you notice it was loose? I guess if you stuck your finger in there and touched it, maybe it would be obvious, but it has honestly never occurred to me to inspect a suppressor like that.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:23:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As soon as I told them what was going on I had an RMA by the time i hung up the phone. They stated the return time would be 50-60 day.

Not necessarily, some people have stated they’ve gotten it repaired and returned within 2 to 3 weeks.

I have a Sandman S that I got a RMA form and sent back in. I shipped it on March 7 and they received it on March 10 and I am still waiting to get it back.
Hopefully it will be returned any day.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thank you for the review

You Rocksett your Keymo Hub adapter? Not good enough to torque tighten the hub to the suppressor before each firing session? How many rounds does it take to come loose
View Quote

No problem! And honestly, I didn't try just torquing it down after it came loose once. I shot about 500rds from the Sierra 5 out of the box and it never necessarily backed off the HUB mount. But when i went to remove it from the gun (can was still hot), it unscrewed from the keymo/HUB adapter. Applied a generous amount of rocksett and a good bit of torque and has not come loose since, even when extremely hot.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 3:17:04 AM EDT
[#7]

This dude seems deceptive. I hear my hits on steel or see them on paper. In my training group, when we blow up a can, we know immediately whether the can was loose or not and exactly when baffle strikes started. You’d have to be mag dumping into trash and then hitting “post” prior to inspecting the weapon or editing video, so if he’s honest, then he’s incompetent.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 7:40:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This dude seems deceptive. I hear my hits on steel or see them on paper. In my training group, when we blow up a can, we know immediately whether the can was loose or not and exactly when baffle strikes started. You’d have to be mag dumping into trash and then hitting “post” prior to inspecting the weapon or editing video, so if he’s honest, then he’s incompetent.
View Quote

Both revivaldefense and mr_recce were quite thorough in documenting the damage. I did notice they never showed or mentioned what they were shooting at, if anything besides a berm (that I saw from their posts anyway). This looked like a pure durability/endurance test.

How many cans has your training group blown up? What is your diagnosis of this one?

Link Posted: 5/10/2023 7:47:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I did notice they never showed or mentioned what they were shooting at, if anything besides a berm (that I saw from their posts anyway). This looked like a pure durability/endurance test.
View Quote
Isn't a sudden loss of accuracy or POI change an important clue to a problem with a can or mount?

Link Posted: 5/10/2023 12:02:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Isn't a sudden loss of accuracy or POI change an important clue to a problem with a can or mount?

View Quote

Obviously, that's why I noticed they didn't mention it (that I saw). Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Obviously, that's why I noticed they didn't mention it (that I saw). Am I missing something?
View Quote
No, it just seems like if they are just mag dumping into a berm with no accuracy test, then it is not a very thorough test at all.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Another 200+ rounds through my Sierra5 today.  Well over 500 rounds total and it has not blowed up….wonder if something is wrong with it…?
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No, it just seems like if they are just mag dumping into a berm with no accuracy test, then it is not a very thorough test at all.
View Quote

The guy was just dumping rounds so I think the variable he was testing was durability. I don't know what round count I would consider thorough, but this can didn't make it (for unclear reasons). At least one other member has said he's done a similar test twice. I'm not wealthy enough to do that kind of test for the sake of it, I'd rather build skill with those rounds, but it is a thing. I don't know if Revivaldefense was actually shooting at a target or not, but the rate of fire was enough that the baffle-striking round would be hard to catch unless the POI was off enough to notice and still be on paper, and if it happened a bit earlier than the suppressor failing. I don't know how far the adapter of a Sierra-5 has to unthread before it causes a baffle strike.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 1:30:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Both revivaldefense and mr_recce were quite thorough in documenting the damage. I did notice they never showed or mentioned what they were shooting at, if anything besides a berm (that I saw from their posts anyway). This looked like a pure durability/endurance test.

How many cans has your training group blown up? What is your diagnosis of this one?

View Quote

More than one, less than several. Its not something I do on purpose, and I’ve never felt the urge to deliberately durability test a firearm muffler. Sure, a place for that exists, but I can just use a USSOCOM tested can, or trust the manufacturer and their design and material choices. I’ve watched some of Cowan’s videos, and I appreciate them because Cowan puts his true-name on that work, and has an associated livelihood and reputation at stake. And in the videos I’ve seen, he has targets, tests POI shift, etc., and he’s mostly consistent, at least that’s how he presents it. In other words, not an anonymous social media influencer.

(Edited to remove speculation about the “influencer”)  if I was going to drag a manufacturer’s name through the mud for a social media video, I’d pay very careful attention during the editing, and I’d find mag-dumping into dirt professionally embarrassing, so there would be the sound of steel in the video, which would suddenly stop when the strikes happen. I would be sure before I hit “post”, rather than ask the viewer.

From what I’ve seen in this thread —————Edit: I deleted my speculation on what happened, but left my commentary on methodology or whatever. Anyway, it just reeks of amateurism, including the thoughts on “shooter’s ear” and “muzzle” sound comparisons, which just happen to be between the 3 most hype-surrounded cans I can think of at the moment.

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 8:58:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anyway, it just reeks of amateurism, including the thoughts on “shooter’s ear” and “muzzle” sound comparisons, which just happen to be between the 3 most hype-surrounded cans I can think of at the moment.

View Quote

Man I hate when people try to compare cans so people don’t have to buy all three and figure it out for themselves. And why the hell would they compare popular comparable offerings? I’d prefer to see the Sierra 5 tested against a Vietnam vintage E4A.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Man I hate when people try to compare cans so people don’t have to buy all three and figure it out for themselves. And why the hell would they compare popular comparable offerings? I’d prefer to see the Sierra 5 tested against a Vietnam vintage E4A.
View Quote

Gotta clean the coffee off the keys now…

Yeah, perhaps we need a retro silencer forum with hints & resources for the cloners, lol.  The glow would be spectacular…
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I didn’t say amateurism is always bad. After all, I’m here to discuss silencers with strangers. I just wouldn’t read too much into any of it. And we don’t need to pretend that the comparison was apples to apples. He said that it wasn’t. That’s cool and all, but like I said, I wouldn’t put too much stock in it.

Dude blew up a can. Admitted it was user error. It usually is. Had he not just been burning holes in the air, he’d have known that, and I’m skeptical that he wasn’t able to figure that out before posting. You guys do understand that you should be skeptical of “influencers”, right? There aren’t a lot of ethical guidelines for posting on the internet anonymously.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:You guys do understand that you should be skeptical of “influencers”, right? There aren’t a lot of ethical guidelines for posting on the internet anonymously.
View Quote

Bingo.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:24:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:Dude blew up a can. Admitted it was user error. It usually is. Had he not just been burning holes in the air, he’d have known that, and I’m skeptical that he wasn’t able to figure that out before posting. You guys do understand that you should be skeptical of “influencers”, right? There aren’t a lot of ethical guidelines for posting on the internet anonymously.
View Quote

His "burn-down" test method could be improved. I'm also a fan of Cowan; what kind of targets does he shoot at during his burn-downs?

Here is a hypothesis of what happened to the RD Sierra-5:
1. Rearden hub installed tightly, but not tight enough
2. Rapid strings of fire, no real break between magazines
3. Sierra-5 body begins unthreading from Rearden hub
4. The unthreading is enough to cause a baffle strike
5. The "trauma" of the baffle strike compromises the major weld holding the rear of the Sierra-5 together
6. A few shots later the weld completely fails

Is that reasonable and does it match what is seen on video and what RD publicly said? Is it still reasonable that the Sierra-5 completely failed from a baffle strike?

How do we define influencers? Revivaldefense is an enthusiast who has an accessory store to include Dead Air Keymo devices, but doesn't sell any suppressors. It was his Sierra-5. Mr_recce is a self-described "subject matter enthusiast" who posts pictures and videos and opinions about his experiences with firearms and firearms accessories. They admitted a fault and that the video was posted hastily. Mr_recce has been very critical of Dead Air and has a bias but I don't see anything unethical or shady about posting a video of the whole string of fire, lots of pictures, and a thorough explanation of the situation.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#20]
They’re all entertainers first and foremost. Some of them are who they say they are; some play up who they say they are. Not so different than your average forum member. I don’t know why some feel the need to whinge over every aspect of shooting videos.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

His "burn-down" test method could be improved. I'm also a fan of Cowan; what kind of targets does he shoot at during his burn-downs?

Here is a hypothesis of what happened to the RD Sierra-5:
1. Rearden hub installed tightly, but not tight enough
2. Rapid strings of fire, no real break between magazines
3. Sierra-5 body begins unthreading from Rearden hub
4. The unthreading is enough to cause a baffle strike
5. The "trauma" of the baffle strike compromises the major weld holding the rear of the Sierra-5 together
6. A few shots later the weld completely fails

Is that reasonable and does it match what is seen on video and what RD publicly said? Is it still reasonable that the Sierra-5 completely failed from a baffle strike?

How do we define influencers? Revivaldefense is an enthusiast who has an accessory store to include Dead Air Keymo devices, but doesn't sell any suppressors. It was his Sierra-5. Mr_recce is a self-described "subject matter enthusiast" who posts pictures and videos and opinions about his experiences with firearms and firearms accessories. They admitted a fault and that the video was posted hastily. Mr_recce has been very critical of Dead Air and has a bias but I don't see anything unethical or shady about posting a video of the whole string of fire, lots of pictures, and a thorough explanation of the situation.
View Quote

The issue is posting the video with no context. They clearly knew what happened before posting the video (he literally had the footage).

The bias comes from the validation required for their own purchases.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The issue is posting the video with no context. They clearly knew what happened before posting the video (he literally had the footage).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm not convinced there was some nefarious motive involved with this one (especially on RD's side; MR probably felt vindicated), or that they knew exactly what happened before posting. To be fair, nobody seems sure exactly why the suppressor basically exploded. If RD is slimy, I don't think he would have posted what he did in the response.

My questions were honest, and I think they are reasonable. They remain unanswered.

No, it's evident that's not where the bias comes from. I'm not aware of a bias RD has against Dead Air considering he spent his own money and time acquiring the Sierra-5 and also has a financial interest in selling Dead Air Keymo-compatible muzzle devices. Mr_recce is very open about his bias, it's because he thinks Dead Air has suspect QA/QC because things like this seem to happen relatively frequently with their suppressors.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm not convinced there was some nefarious motive involved with this one (especially on RD's side; MR probably felt vindicated), or that they knew exactly what happened before posting. To be fair, nobody seems sure exactly why the suppressor basically exploded. If RD is slimy, I don't think he would have posted what he did in the response.

My questions were honest, and I think they are reasonable. They remain unanswered.

No, it's evident that's not where the bias comes from. I'm not aware of a bias RD has against Dead Air considering he spent his own money and time acquiring the Sierra-5 and also has a financial interest in selling Dead Air Keymo-compatible muzzle devices. Mr_recce is very open about his bias, it's because he thinks Dead Air has suspect QA/QC because things like this seem to happen relatively frequently with their suppressors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both MR and RD have mentioned their dislike for deadair. Just a heads up
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Okay, appreciate the correction. I still don't think that RD would have responded the way he did if he was blinded by the bias and simply wanted to make Dead Air look bad.

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Okay, appreciate the correction. I still don't think that RD would have responded the way he did if he was blinded by the bias and simply wanted to make Dead Air look bad.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I trust RD. I don't trust MR
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 11:13:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Taking my Sierra5 out for the first time today.  Brought 300 rounds of 556, so I plan on giving it hell.    So far after bringing it home and mounting it on 3 different hosts, the body spins off the keymo mount when removing.   Didn't want to rocksett just yet, as Todd on here said 30-35 ft lbs and you should be good, but I still tightened it as hard as I could with the provided tools.   We will see how it goes......

Host gun will be a 11.5 Noveske barreled BCM.....

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52860812527_d7173d64a2.jpg
View Quote

Did you time your flash hider? And did you just torque it to DA specs and call it a day?

I’m probably just going Rocksett the flash hider but I have a Xeno adapter and several hosts with Xeno mounts already so I may flipflop Xeno/Keymo depending on the host.

Finally got this guy yesterday but unfortunately I won’t be able to pick it up until Wednesday, and then I’m out of town till Sunday…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Barely squeezed in enough time this am, and now I have to leave town for the rest of the week. Sunday can't come soon enough.

Attachment Attached File

Spun it on the Xeno adapter just to see how it feels, this is going to be a tough choice but I'm excited to see how it performs either way.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Congrats!  

I like that sticker that came with it. That's the first time I've seen that.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Did you time your flash hider? And did you just torque it to DA specs and call it a day?

I’m probably just going Rocksett the flash hider but I have a Xeno adapter and several hosts with Xeno mounts already so I may flipflop Xeno/Keymo depending on the host.

Finally got this guy yesterday but unfortunately I won’t be able to pick it up until Wednesday, and then I’m out of town till Sunday…

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/577174/D0B7C56F-22E3-4CDB-AAE5-7C52AF1FC07A_png-2816080.JPG
View Quote

Running a timed brake....and yes, torqued it and called it a day.   I usually add a drop of rocksett to threads, especially for Keymo, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to run this brake or FCD brake, so no rocksett.   Haven't had any issues with the 3 port and the occasional times I shoot it unsuppressed, it really keeps the rifle flat, so I'll just keep it on.  

Got 1000+ rounds thru this thing so far, and no issues.   Keymo mount and front cap have both been tightened with no rocksett...  

Link Posted: 5/17/2023 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Video showing muzzle flash from a 11.5 and 16 in AR. Uses different ammo to show differences. Sometimes I see flash and sometimes not. Surprised that there didn't seem to be much difference between barrel lengths.

I'm 6 or 7 months into my FATF wait.

Flash Mitigation: Part - 7 Dead Air Sierra 5
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Sierra 5 is very flashy....heavier rounds seem to help some, but its still one of the flashiest/sparkiest cans I own.    Not a go to war can thats for sure......
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#32]
He was sampling different ammo, but at least 3/4 were some of the flashiest possible (not sure about the PPU M855 clone), so that might be considered a worst-case scenario. Just from other videos I've posted here and Kit Badger's other flash videos, I got the impression the Sierra was at least as good as the SF Mini2 and appeared almost as good as the RC2 in some cases. As long as my sight picture isn't disrupted and it doesn't affect my NV I've accepted there will always be some given my barrel lengths and practice ammo.

Maybe there will be someone who develops a testing and quantifying standard but I have to wonder if, given that there will be some flash, is it critical if the little flame in the front is 4" long and 1" thick or 2" long and 2" thick (keep it tech! ), as long as they are roughly the same intensity and it doesn't affect sight picture?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Sierra 5 is very flashy....heavier rounds seem to help some, but its still one of the flashiest/sparkiest cans I own.    Not a go to war can thats for sure......
View Quote

Even after several hundred rounds through it? I love the Sierra 5's aesthetic and form factor, and am rooting for it to succeed despite all the manufacturing issues it seems to be up against. I wish they would grow a pair like Aero did and have it tested. Even after all this drama around the can, I would still pick one up if the performance proved to be compelling.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Even after several hundred rounds through it? I love the Sierra 5's aesthetic and form factor, and am rooting for it to succeed despite all the manufacturing issues it seems to be up against. I wish they would grow a pair like Aero did and have it tested. Even after all this drama around the can, I would still pick one up if the performance proved to be compelling.
View Quote

Yes…it’s still very flashy with XM193s.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yes…it’s still very flashy with XM193s.
View Quote

Sorry if I missed whether you said this earlier already, but I don't suppose you've tried it against other K-ish cans like the Mini2?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Sorry if I missed whether you said this earlier already, but I don't suppose you've tried it against other K-ish cans like the Mini2?
View Quote

I unfortunately do not have another Kish can, but I do however have a SureFire SB2 (which has a larger bore than a RC2) and I find it to be somewhat flashy especially on 11.5 or shorter barrel.   To me, the Sierra 5 is much more flashy than the SB2, if that gives you an idea here for comparison.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What manufacturing “issues”?
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#38]
RE: Revivaldefense's Seirra-5

I just found some Reddit posts from a couple weeks ago clarifying some things. Reardon inspected the suppressor post-failure and also gaged their mount. The mount passed the go and no-go gages, so that rules out the mount. There was a light baffle strike on the end cap and last baffle.

My opinion thus far: It seems the catastrophic failure was due to the failure of the suppressor itself.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It seems the catastrophic failure was due to the failure of the suppressor itself.
View Quote

Is that what rearden said?

with as much as it spun off during the video, id still say its user error. they didnt get the can tight enough on the host or check it frequently enough.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 1:28:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Is that what rearden said?

with as much as it spun off during the video, id still say its user error. they didnt get the can tight enough on the host or check it frequently enough.
View Quote

No, and I do not want to put words in anyone's mouth.

RD did own to not tightening it as much as he should, and the end cap and baffle strikes are noted, but my question remains: Was it reasonable for the suppressor to blow apart like it did due to the hub loosening the amount it did?
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#41]
So basically someone shot a baffle at point-blank range with M193, a distance where AR500 armored plates are defeated or deformed?

I would expect that action to have a reaction where any reasonably weighted and sized suppressor would have damage.   Being the design as a welded core in a tube, the damage may have shifted the core inside the tube.   I would consider that an expected reaction to shooting a baffle core.    

Then the shooter continued to fire after disrupting the core's placement within the tube?  That would also cause high-pressured gas to go where it was not intended.  

All this thread does is make me eager to have my Sierra-5 approved.    

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So basically someone shot a baffle at point-blank range with M193, a distance where AR500 armored plates are defeated or deformed?

I would expect that action to have a reaction where any reasonably weighted and sized suppressor would have damage.   Being the design as a welded core in a tube, the damage may have shifted the core inside the tube.   I would consider that an expected reaction to shooting a baffle core.    

Then the shooter continued to fire after disrupting the core's placement within the tube?  That would also cause high-pressured gas to go where it was not intended.  

All this thread does is make me eager to have my Sierra-5 approved.    

View Quote

Sort of a chicken or the egg situation. The weld nearest the mount was swelling and bulging prior to the catastrophic failure (perhaps not coincidentally at that same bulging weld). The bulging very well could have caused misalignment of the baffle stack unless the tube deformed entirely uniformly, which doesn’t seem likely. That could then cause a baffle strike. Or I suppose the baffle strike could have somehow caused the bulging prior to ultimate failure, but that doesn’t seem likely to me.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
He was sampling different ammo, but at least 3/4 were some of the flashiest possible (not sure about the PPU M855 clone), so that might be considered a worst-case scenario. Just from other videos I've posted here and Kit Badger's other flash videos, I got the impression the Sierra was at least as good as the SF Mini2 and appeared almost as good as the RC2 in some cases. As long as my sight picture isn't disrupted and it doesn't affect my NV I've accepted there will always be some given my barrel lengths and practice ammo.

Maybe there will be someone who develops a testing and quantifying standard but I have to wonder if, given that there will be some flash, is it critical if the little flame in the front is 4" long and 1" thick or 2" long and 2" thick (keep it tech! ), as long as they are roughly the same intensity and it doesn't affect sight picture?
View Quote

Kit Badger (Ivan) also shows the same rifles (SOLGW) with their keymo flash suppressor using same ammo. You can see which ammo is flashier (can't recall but PMC green tip seemed the less flashy) but in most of his shooting flash was less than with the can. Surprise to me.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Sort of a chicken or the egg situation. The weld nearest the mount was swelling and bulging prior to the catastrophic failure (perhaps not coincidentally at that same bulging weld). The bulging very well could have caused misalignment of the baffle stack unless the tube deformed entirely uniformly, which doesn’t seem likely. That could then cause a baffle strike. Or I suppose the baffle strike could have somehow caused the bulging prior to ultimate failure, but that doesn’t seem likely to me.
View Quote

Your can is only as tight as the loosest connection.  I've started letting my Milwaukee do my talking with the Xeno adapters and they haven't come loose.     I might start using loctite or Rocksett on my muzzle devices.   With the sweet knurling of the S5, I should be shiny when it comes to tightening it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Your can is only as tight as the loosest connection.  I've started letting my Milwaukee do my talking with the Xeno adapters and they haven't come loose.     I might start using loctite or Rocksett on my muzzle devices.   With the sweet knurling of the S5, I should be shiny when it comes to tightening it.
View Quote

Yeah, I don’t really know how the loosening mount and the failing weld relate in terms of causality. I can’t really envision how the mount loosening would cause the weld to start bulging, but I don’t have one in front of me to play with.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yeah, I don’t really know how the loosening mount and the failing weld relate in terms of causality. I can’t really envision how the mount loosening would cause the weld to start bulging, but I don’t have one in front of me to play with.
View Quote

These things happen when you shoot things at point-blank range with 5.56mm.   M193 tears up AR500.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

These things happen when you shoot things at point-blank range with 5.56mm.   M193 tears up AR500.
View Quote

The deformation around the weld (the blast baffle area) began before the catastrophic failure. Based on the location and manner of deformation (bulging), I don’t think the deformation was caused by a baffle strike, but it wouldn’t surprise me if a baffle strike is what ultimately tore the baffle stack off the base. I suspect that once the bulging began, the baffle stack began to misalign from the rifle bore/base, which I’m guessing caused the baffle strike. The question on my mind is why did the tube start bulging where it did?
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Another 250 rounds through mine today without incident. I know some people have had bad luck, but this can has been nothing short of spectacular for me. I love it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#49]
I've got 120rds through mine so far on a 16" Cetme L. I checked it every magazine for loosening and it stayed tight as well. Hopefully the good luck continues.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The deformation around the weld (the blast baffle area) began before the catastrophic failure. Based on the location and manner of deformation (bulging), I don’t think the deformation was caused by a baffle strike, but it wouldn’t surprise me if a baffle strike is what ultimately tore the baffle stack off the base. I suspect that once the bulging began, the baffle stack began to misalign from the rifle bore/base, which I’m guessing caused the baffle strike. The question on my mind is why did the tube start bulging where it did?
View Quote

So you are saying some dumbass found a bulge in the suppressor and continued to shoot it until a baffle strike occurred?  That's pretty stupid.   Guys like this are why pillows have warning labels.
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top