BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 28
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For those with a Sierra 5 on backorder at SS, how long have you been waiting? Considering placing an order through SS but may go elsewhere if I can find one in stock.
View Quote

Since the day they came out and were supposedly in stock. My FFL dealer and I both ordered one same day, still waiting.

May 27 IIRC, 76 days in and haven't even been able to start my form 4 yet.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:27:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Since the day they came out and were supposedly in stock. My FFL dealer and I both ordered one same day, still waiting.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those with a Sierra 5 on backorder at SS, how long have you been waiting? Considering placing an order through SS but may go elsewhere if I can find one in stock.

Yikes.  I was thinking about placing a backorder on one, but that's not happening anymore.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 2:27:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Yikes. My local dealer has a stack of them on the shelf right now
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Not all my local SOTs have them in yet, but 2 out of the 3 do. The one shop that doesn't have them in yet is Utahs largest SS dealer which I find odd. Of the two that do, its a smallish shop and the other is a retail chain (Als). I guess Mr. Magoo didn't make enough their first go around.

Deadair had a rep in the small shop that had the sierra 5 in. I told him I was seeing a lot more keymo sierra's than I was the xenos. It sounded like they prioritized the keymos but he never actually confirmed it. He did confirm they aren't slowing down on making them so they'll be here when they get here. Nothing like waiting on top of a shit load of more waiting!

The chain store had a xeno sierra, which is the only one I've seen in the flesh. Its also the sierra I'm after, although I'd much rather support my local shops that aren't chains.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yikes.  I was thinking about placing a backorder on one, but that's not happening anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just verified it. Yay.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yikes. My local dealer has a stack of them on the shelf right now
View Quote

This is the way.  I was in a local shop over the weekend and was very surprised to see they had atleast (1) in stock.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not all my local SOTs have them in yet, but 2 out of the 3 do. The one shop that doesn't have them in yet is Utahs largest SS dealer which I find odd. Of the two that do, its a smallish shop and the other is a retail chain (Als). I guess Mr. Magoo didn't make enough their first go around.

Deadair had a rep in the small shop that had the sierra 5 in. I told him I was seeing a lot more keymo sierra's than I was the xenos. It sounded like they prioritized the keymos but he never actually confirmed it. He did confirm they aren't slowing down on making them so they'll be here when they get here. Nothing like waiting on top of a shit load of more waiting!

The chain store had a xeno sierra, which is the only one I've seen in the flesh. Its also the sierra I'm after, although I'd much rather support my local shops that aren't chains.
View Quote

@Mesooohoppy

Al’s only has 3 locations - I still consider them a small shop (and they sometimes have good prices on things).  That being said, my home-based crack dealer (errr, FFL) in Riverton is usually my go-to.

I think if you find what you want and the price is decent, get the wait started! (Or maybe I’m 53 weeks in on a form 4 and feeling disenchanted with NFA stuff right now)

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Another review (with a notable lack of shattered baffles). More of an infomercial and general impressions vid, no data or night shots, but James is always amusing and has spent a decent amount of time with it:

Best AR-15 Silencer Bargain? Dead Air Sierra 5 Review
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#9]
@Obey how do you like it compared to the Mini Socom?
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Another review (with a notable lack of shattered baffles). More of an infomercial and general impressions vid, no data or night shots, but James is always amusing and has spent a decent amount of time with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih7HvYoGfR4
View Quote

$800 is a bargain?
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 1:41:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

$800 is a bargain?
View Quote

He did begin by explaining his appreciation for his Surefire, so for something that presumably competes with that (and now 3 major reviewers suggest that it does) and includes a muzzle device, it is a bit less expensive for that class of suppressor especially at current "street/internet price."
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quick question, when does Silencer Shop actually charge a credit card for backordered silencers? Pay in full now or once the order is filled and paperwork is ready?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I am interested in hearing how well this can performs on DI AR-15s (10.3-16" barrels) in terms of gas blow back.

The biggest advantage I see for this can over Surefire or Hux-WRX, is quite simply the Keymo and Xeno mounting systems.

I have a SCAR-16S with a 14" barrel pinned and welded to a SCAR 16 specific Keymo flash hider. I have a Deadair Sandman K in jail, which will be used on that rifle and a few of my AKs. I am interested to see if it would be worth buying a Sierra 5.

I have no intent of running it on a 4.5" barrel full auto . Likewise, I am not worried about a bad batch of cans. Dead Air will fix the problem.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am interested in hearing how well this can performs on DI AR-15s (10.3-16" barrels) in terms of gas blow back.

The biggest advantage I see for this can over Surefire or Hux-WRX, is quite simply the Keymo and Xeno mounting systems.

I have a SCAR-16S with a 14" barrel pinned and welded to a SCAR 16 specific Keymo flash hider. I have a Deadair Sandman K in jail, which will be used on that rifle and a few of my AKs. I am interested to see if it would be worth buying a Sierra 5.

I have no intent of running it on a 4.5" barrel full auto . Likewise, I am not worried about a bad batch of cans. Dead Air will fix the problem.
View Quote

I went ahead and placed an order too. I figured if there is a problem DA will take care of us as customers. I have Xeno on most of my guns which did play into my decision making process. I was also considering the Flow 5.56K but didn't want to buy ANOTHER set of muzzle devices.

One of the reviews I saw stated the Sierra 5 was not too bad for blowback. I was also concerned about that but I figured I have AGB and ABCG's so I'll make do.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quick question, when does Silencer Shop actually charge a credit card for backordered silencers? Pay in full now or once the order is filled and paperwork is ready?  Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m not sure about that, I paid my local SOT dealer who in turn ordered the silencer from SS. He did tell me to go to the SS website and pay for a tax stamp which I did and they charged me immediately.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:22:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I use mine on midlength 14.5, and I haven't noticed any gas blowback. I'm not saying there's none, just that there's not enough that I noticed it. I do always wear sunglasses when shooting outdoors, so that might be why. Next time I shoot I'll try and remember to take them off and see if without them I notice any hitting my eye.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I use mine on midlength 14.5, and I haven't noticed any gas blowback. I'm not saying there's none, just that there's not enough that I noticed it. I do always wear sunglasses when shooting outdoors, so that might be why. Next time I shoot I'll try and remember to take them off and see if without them I notice any hitting my eye.
View Quote

Anyone else have any input on blowback with the Sierra 5?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

They will charge your card in full at the time of backorder.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I got to shoot a Sierra 5 this past weekend during a Dead Air demo at West Coast Armory in Everett, WA.  

Thank You to WCAN and DA for making the event happen, for all the work that went into it, and for providing all the cans and hosts and ammo.  

I have no relationship with WCAN nor DA, apart from having shot at WCAN a few times, having gone there to a Surefire demo many years ago, and owing a Nomad.

My experience with cans is primarily on 5.56mm with barrels <16” and I own and use a variety of cans and I tune these guns to optimize them for suppressed use.

Having said the above, the S5 was mounted with a Xeno on a 16” carbine, which was not optimized.  Not sure what the ammo was.

I was part of a group of 3 shooters and observed closely as the other two shooters shot this combo and I made a video showing from the ejection port forward.

I noticed no FRP.  I did notice first round flash for the other two shooters.  It was about 4” long and the diameter of a pencil.  There was no flash from subsequent shots.  I did not notice any flash from behind the gun when I shot.  

Ejection pattern (FWIW) was about 2:00.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I experienced no gasface whatsoever.

One of the other shooters (hadn’t shot with a can previously) noticed a little bit of gas but he didn’t know about this phenomena, so it was a totally new experience for him.

Caveat, round count was very limited (2 rounds per shooter), but the ammo was provided, so I get that they had to keep their costs down when providing ammo to an uncertain # of people.

The other shooter shot about 20 rounds, rapidly.  He noticed some gas but nothing oppressive.

Some indoor ranges have a very noticeable ventilation system, with airflow being very noticeable and it directs gas away from you.  I did not notice this in the bay that were were using and this perhaps was a factor.

The S5 did a good job with tone and sound levels.  Now while this was the only 555 can/host, there was a wide variety of other cans/hosts, to include .300 blk sub, .308 super and sub, 44 special, .45 acp, 9mm, and .22.  

While this was a pretty minimal use of the S5, I came away from the experience with only positive impressions.  

IMO it does a good job for a K can and its on my short list.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Caveat, round count was very limited (2 rounds per shooter), but the ammo was provided, so I get that they had to keep their costs down when providing ammo to an uncertain # of people.

The other shooter shot about 20 rounds, rapidly.  He noticed some gas but nothing oppressive.
View Quote
I'm not very good at math, but this doesn't appear to add up right.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m gonna go out on a limb and assume he meant 2 mags per shooter.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 2:37:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, he's right. They provided 2 rounds per gun. If you wanted to shoot more, you had to buy ammo from the gun range.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Well I guess I may order one through my local dealer then. I'll probably sell my KAC QDC can to fund this. It is over gassed and is currently beating the hell out of my RD SAM-5 despite the adjustable gas block (carrier and rear trunion deformation). Not sure why RD didn't call me that it was an over gassed can like I asked.....I would have had them install a Surefire FH. Darn it. Need to change the pin and weld.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#25]
2 rounds per firearm per shooter.  That’s right, 2 cartridges.    

You could not provide your own ammo.

I chose to not buy ammo from the range to shoot more ammo.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No, he's right. They provided 2 rounds per gun. If you wanted to shoot more, you had to buy ammo from the gun range.
View Quote

I stand corrected!
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 9:16:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah and TBH after this video I've decided to stop doing standalone suppressor reviews. As I say in the video, I think metering is bullshit - seems like Pewscience is the only one who might be doing it right and I'm not going to compete with that on a non-repeatable basis with a $30 Amazon decibel meter.

As I say in the video, I buy from trusted companies with features I like. Not once do I look at numbers. As mentioned in the video, for the same class of suppressor, you're going to fall within 4db and, again, as shown in the video, the difference has to be more than 4db to be discernable to the human ear anyways.

Quoted:

$800 is a bargain?

I think $699 for a high end suppressor with a popular HUB adapter and a $100 muzzle device included is a good deal, yes. The only better bargain might be the YHM Resonator k for $500 but then you are married to YHM's meh QD system and have to buy a HUB device and the muzzle device for it if you want out, which brings you to...$699.

Quoted:
@Obey how do you like it compared to the Mini Socom?

Hard to say. I want to say I like the Mini SOCOM better - sleeker, proven, invincible, great performance even though Surefire will tell you that durability, flash suppression, and sub-MOA POA/POI shift trump db readings for them. However, you're stuck with SF's mounting system - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I think I'd prefer to have the freedom of HUB.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 10:06:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah and TBH after this video I've decided to stop doing standalone suppressor reviews. As I say in the video, I think metering is bullshit - seems like Pewscience is the only one who might be doing it right and I'm not going to compete with that on a non-repeatable basis with a $30 Amazon decibel meter.

As I say in the video, I buy from trusted companies with features I like. Not once do I look at numbers. As mentioned in the video, for the same class of suppressor, you're going to fall within 4db and, again, as shown in the video, the difference has to be more than 4db to be discernable to the human ear anyways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's fair, I never paid much attention to meters until Jay started really digging into the Mk18 tests where we get a lot more than a muzzle reading. I'll take your word for the 4db rule, I've heard similar before, and it does seem silly to split hairs with dbs in the context of 5.56. So maybe it wasn't very fair of me to mention "no data." Night shots and/with comparisons to competitors (i.e. Surefire Mini2) would be very cool though.

Anyway, thanks for the content.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#29]
@Obey

Videos unwatchable. Unsubscribed

Quoted:

I think $699 for a high end suppressor with a popular HUB adapter and a $100 muzzle device included is a good deal, yes. The only better bargain might be the YHM Resonator k for $500 but then you are married to YHM's meh QD system and have to buy a HUB device and the muzzle device for it if you want out, which brings you to...$699.

Hard to say. I want to say I like the Mini SOCOM better - sleeker, proven, invincible, great performance even though Surefire will tell you that durability, flash suppression, and sub-MOA POA/POI shift trump db readings for them. However, you're stuck with SF's mounting system - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I think I'd prefer to have the freedom of HUB.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/20/2022 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's fair, I never paid much attention to meters until Jay started really digging into the Mk18 tests where we get a lot more than a muzzle reading. I'll take your word for the 4db rule, I've heard similar before, and it does seem silly to split hairs with dbs in the context of 5.56. So maybe it wasn't very fair of me to mention "no data." Night shots and/with comparisons to competitors (i.e. Surefire Mini2) would be very cool though.

Anyway, thanks for the content.
View Quote

Don't take my word for it. Look for my .308 vs. 5.56 can video from SiCo. We compare the two in a lab with a blind test and the difference is 4db, we can't tell the difference.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
@Obey

Videos unwatchable. Unsubscribed

View Quote

That's not what you told me last night @goloud
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's not what you told me last night @goloud
View Quote

Those were different “silencer” videos.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I’d like to see an extended review of the Sierra 5 on a 10.3/10.5 or 11.5” AR. This is the platform that a vast majority of 5.56 can owners use. The major online review sources all use much longer platforms and then have very brief coverage with unorthodox short platforms like a 13”/11” bullpup or 8” AR and then say it does well on short platforms cause they’ve tested it.

Yes, we all want cans to use on various platforms, but our cans don’t spend a majority of time on a 16” (talk about unwieldy). I think Silencer Shop sound tested all their 5.56 cans on 16” platforms in their YouTube videos to make the cans they sell sound as quiet as possible.

For we actual shooters, our cans are on 10.3/10.5 or 11.5 for a vast majority of the time. The professional reviewers know this…seems like they’re kind of avoiding the standard platform we use. Sorry, but it does…

I’m not saying I think the Sierra 5 must sound crappy on a 10.3/10.5 or 11.5 AR platform, but it might sound just acceptable - which would still make it awesome for its size, strength, flash suppression and compatibility. I’d still want one. Glad for the amateurs posting the standard platform content. Just don’t get why the major player reviewers are avoiding it…

Link Posted: 8/20/2022 10:47:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I’d like to see an extended review of the Sierra 5 on a 10.3/10.5 or 11.5” AR. This is the platform that a vast majority of 5.56 can owners use. The major online review sources all use much longer platforms and then have very brief coverage with unorthodox short platforms like a 13”/11” bullpup or 8” AR and then say it does well on short platforms cause they’ve tested it.

Yes, we all want cans to use on various platforms, but our cans don’t spend a majority of time on a 16” (talk about unwieldy). I think Silencer Shop sound tested all their 5.56 cans on 16” platforms in their YouTube videos to make the cans they sell sound as quiet as possible.

For we actual shooters, our cans are on 10.3/10.5 or 11.5 for a vast majority of the time. The professional reviewers know this…seems like they’re kind of avoiding the standard platform we use. Sorry, but it does…

I’m not saying I think the Sierra 5 must sound crappy on a 10.3/10.5 or 11.5 AR platform, but it might sound just acceptable - which would still make it awesome for its size, strength, flash suppression and compatibility. I’d still want one. Glad for the amateurs posting the standard platform content. Just don’t get why the major player reviewers are avoiding it…

View Quote

Who are the major players? Sage Dynamics used it with a 12.5 for most of his footage, including the night shots, and Alabama Arsenal shot it with several shorties starting at 8.3."
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

4db is a reasonable difference, all other things being equal that could be a deciding factor. Not to be rude but I doubt you'll get true numbers from a $30 db meter.

I didn't watch the video so if this was covered I apoligize
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Is the mounting type of the Sierra user changeable? If you buy the Keymo version, can you later buy a Xeno mount and swap it? And vice versa?
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Is the mounting type of the Sierra user changeable? If you buy the Keymo version, can you later buy a Xeno mount and swap it? And vice versa?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#38]
88 days since I paid for my Sierra 5.

12 days since SS said they would return my call.

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
88 days since I paid for my Sierra 5.

12 days since SS said they would return my call.

View Quote

My buddy and I ordered back on release day.  I canceled mine mid July and he's still waiting.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 2:23:48 PM EDT
[#40]
So much for making enough of these. I really want one in xeno. Nothing like waiting a bunch before you have to wait a bunch more.

Does anyone have any  info to as when more are shipping?  Paging mr magoo.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#41]
My local shop had one in stock yesterday when I was in there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:29:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So much for making enough of these. I really want one in xeno. Nothing like waiting a bunch before you have to wait a bunch more.

Does anyone have any  info to as when more are shipping?  Paging mr magoo.
View Quote

I bought a Xeno Sierra 5 day before yesterday at Modern Warriors in Saint George. They had a few more in stock.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 1:08:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I went ahead and placed an order too. I figured if there is a problem DA will take care of us as customers. I have Xeno on most of my guns which did play into my decision making process. I was also considering the Flow 5.56K but didn't want to buy ANOTHER set of muzzle devices.

One of the reviews I saw stated the Sierra 5 was not too bad for blowback. I was also concerned about that but I figured I have AGB and ABCG's so I'll make do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have about 200 rounds or so through my S5 now.  About half on a 16" and half on a 12.5".  I thought the blow back was very mild.  If 556 was cheaper I could shoot this suppressor all day no problem.  On my 16" I run a 35° offset RMR which puts my face in line with the ejection port and it was not an issue. 12.5 felt the same, for me the blowback is a non issue.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Anyone have a Turbo K and Sierra 5 they can mock up with a Griffin Plan A mount? I will be running a minimalist flash hider so there should be enough clearance. Any confirmed weight with the Plan A on each would be much appreciated!

Seems like the Sierra is a whole lot of improvement over the Turbo K at the cost of ~2oz and ~0.25"
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Went to the indoor range to sight in a handgun and someone was shooting their Sierra 5, I'm pretty much sold now.  I was surprised at how good it sounded.  It was noticeably quieter than my Resonator K indoors.  Will definitely order one by the end of the month.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 1:02:10 AM EDT
[#46]
One of my local shops had two Keymo versions, so I bought one.  Everything I’m seeing so far makes this can look very promising on the fronts that matter to me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#47]
i went over to the pew science ranking page just now and i was surprised to see no 556 dead air data. does anyone know if Jay has a sierra 5 in hand to test? pappas said the S5 would meter a few dB quieter than a sandman S.

Quoted:
Seems like the Sierra is a whole lot of improvement over the Turbo K at the cost of ~2oz and ~0.25"
View Quote

i bought a S5 today. it was a keymo because i couldnt find a xeno; i took the mount off and i couldnt believe how small/short this can is. for comparison, my rex MG7 224 is 5.6" and the S5 is 4.87" (with no mount). im sure the direct thread guys will love this.

i was also impressed with how much stuff this came with out of the box. for $800 i got a can, a keymo mount, a 3 prong flash hider, a muzzle shim kit, and two spanner wrenches. the xeno mount version is even cheaper. ill have to sell off the keymo stuff, but that wont be too hard.

i am almost positive i complained way earlier in this thread how long dead air took to release this, but damn they seemed to have done it again. i hope they get a bunch more out soon to the masses, i know some have had a hard time finding em (myself included).
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#48]
I backorered one from SS on June 2 and still waiting.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Ordered from silencer shop May 31, day they came out. 125 days later and nothing. Just spoke to my dealer and we are cancelling our orders for two of them and will find them elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 11:27:44 AM EDT
[#50]
How do these sound compared the old school specwar and specwar K?

Debating if it's worth swapping to these for my course rifle but man I love the specwars.
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top